Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-03-11, 09:45 PM   #1
JCsGoneFishin
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Color of plastics by region???

I was reading a couple of articles over the last months where bass anglers were swearing about certain colors. A gentleman from Florida swore purple was the best. Another from Tennessee swore by red top/black bottom. Tried both in Illinois where I fish on a couple of trips and had no luck. But after switching to my pumpkinseed with red flecks would catch bass. My question, do you think the best color varies by geographical area? By lake? By fisherman? Not at all?
JCsGoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 10:05 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCsGoneFishin View Post
I was reading a couple of articles over the last months where bass anglers were swearing about certain colors. A gentleman from Florida swore purple was the best. Another from Tennessee swore by red top/black bottom. Tried both in Illinois where I fish on a couple of trips and had no luck. But after switching to my pumpkinseed with red flecks would catch bass. My question, do you think the best color varies by geographical area? By lake? By fisherman? Not at all?
All three. More then anything though, I say confidence, and the general shade mater the most. I don't think fish notice the difference on most days between dark watermelon, and green pumpkin.
Old 11-03-11, 10:31 PM   #3
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Hey JCGF There is no pat answer to that question.However I've been throwing soft plastics since 1969 and can say unequivocaly, absolutely, definately and without a doubt.......it just depends. It does seem to me that in clear water situations color might be more important. Local forage base can be a factor, lots of the places I fish Bluegill are the dominant food source, so plastics shaded green get the nod. I will say that most of the time if you put a worm (or your favorite plastic) in sight of a feeding bass, with the right profile and worked at the right speed and action he will usually eat it regardless of color (within reason! no offense to the pink bubble gum fans).
Old 11-03-11, 10:37 PM   #4
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

All three.
fisherman---confidence, if someone likes pink you are almost never going to change his mind
lake---water clarity can be a major facter in color choice, vegatation, mud, clay, weed growth or lack of all can be a factor
geographic---to maybe a lesser extent, I guess if you have seasons or fluctuating temps there may be some color fluctuation. I've noticed colors that work much better during spawn but thats not a geograpic thing per say
But there are colors that will work almost anywhere, like you said pumpkin, watermeleon
or other greens, shades kind of goes back to lake answer. Varys on water clarity...
Another thing is what are you fishing, worms, swimbaits, jigs or other. I know guys that will only fish black/blue jig w/black blue trailer, but would never dream of fishing a blue worm or blue/black plastic jerk bait.
Almost forgot, welcome to the forum!
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 09:02 AM   #5
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

by local bait
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.