Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-03-12, 07:54 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Flukes and Bass Assassins?

How many of you guys use these things? Haven't used them much other then the old slug-o's but that was back a while back in Florida. I haven't even read up on em much, but I hoping I could get some info here first? I did however read somewhere that that they're good during prespawn, so I'd like to get a grasp of what I'm doing with em before the season opens in about a month. How do you like do about fishing them? Constant jerking, or more of "one two three pause" sort of think like you'd use with a suspending jerkbait?

Thanks for any insight!
Old 04-03-12, 08:12 PM   #2
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use both brands and wouldn't hesitate to use them any time of year. I use them in fairly shallow water around weeds or other cover. Twitch and pause is what I prefer. During the pause give the line a little slack; it's the slack that allows the lure to do its erratic darting.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-12, 08:49 PM   #3
Jrob78

I am big fan of soft jerkbaits. I've always fished Zoom Flukes but Bubba got me on Bass Assassins and I think I like them better. I also like the Strike King Caffeine Shad.

I fish them more in the summer than any other time. A lot of the place I fish have heavy grass and vegetation in the water, the weedless jerkbaits are perfect for this. I fish them all around the grass, over the top and down the edges. They are also great when you see baitfish busting the surface.

I usually fish them with a fairly fast, jerk, jerk, jerk, short pause, jerk, jerk, short pause cadence. I also like to make them skip across the top of the water and then kill it. In cooler weather or when the fish seem less active, I will fish it slower, jerk, jerk, jerk, with a longer pause. The Caffeine Shad are a little heavier and saltier and sink more like a Senko, I like to fish them closer to the bottom, basically dead sticking with short jerks in between to get it off the bottom and then let it sink it back down, sort of a more active Senko retrieve.

I've also had good luck fishing a double fluke rig, regular Flukes and Tiny Flukes on a drop shot and Flukes on a c-rig. Flukes also make good bladed jig, swim jig and Scrounger trailers. I normally fish shad patterns but I also like green pumpkin and watermelon patterns. I know a lot of the smallmouth guys swear by bubblegum and chartreuse Flukes.

I usually fish them on a 4/0 or 5/0 Gammy EWG hook or Skip Gap hook. I've also recently been using a 4/0 Owner Twist lock hook with good results, (the ones that say they're made for Senkos). The Twist Locks seem to make the bait last a little longer.

You need to get you some Flukes or Bass Assassins, they are great baits. Soft jerkbaits are one of my best producers in the summer time but work great in spring and fall too.
Old 04-04-12, 04:19 PM   #4
Bassboss

Thanks guys! Some good info right here. I've caught lots of smallmouth in rivers on small flukes, they really like it when you cast down stream and twitch them in one spot in front of laydown of sorts.

The lakes here are just as you described Joe, so I think they'll work pretty well here to as well!

I'm also curious about what size you're using in the Bass Assassins. The ones here, are only 4", them the ones you're using? I've got some pink flukes and AK shinner sorta colored Cabelas brand that look allot like the BA's.
Old 04-04-12, 05:41 PM   #5
Jrob78

These are the ones I use.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Bass_...e-BASASSH.html

They are basically the same size as Zoom Super Flukes.
Old 04-04-12, 07:00 PM   #6
keithdog

I prefer the 5 inch size almost exclusivly. The Caffein Shads from Strike King are my favorite. Baby bass has been my best color in these parts. Mostly I fish them weightless. I really like them when bass are busting shad at the surface. But in lakes where there are no shad I still have good luck with them. I rig them on a 5/0 EWG hook and vary my retrieve untill I find what they like. Often just a slow jerk pause jerk pause cadence is what they like. But when the bass are busting shad I speed up the retrieve quite a bit. One trick is to rig the bait on the hook so the nose of the bait has a slight upturned nose against the hook. This combined with a quicker retrieve and strong jerks will cause it to literally jump from the water like a fleeing shad. This drives bass nuts!
Old 04-04-12, 07:24 PM   #7
bigjim
BassFishin.Com Active Member

ive had pretty decent success on the bass assassin brand..
I tried a zoom version of them, didnt like them as much didnt feel like i got the same action as with the bass assassin's, i usually get the 4 or 5" in white
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 07:44 PM   #8
Marty

I use strictly the 5" size.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 08:19 PM   #9
bassboogieman

I use them as trailers on chatterbait style lures and they work well worked through grass rigged on a weighted swimbait style hook.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 10:53 PM   #10
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I have a few packs of the Zoom because of availability, but my favorite hands down are the 5" BA baits. I like the red shad, blue/green sunrise, and baby bass fished weightless on a straight or skip jack 3/0 or 4/0 hook. I usually give them a few switches. I love how the BAs skip and raise out of the water. I can get the Zooms to do it, but have better consistency and confidence in the BAs.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.