Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-01-12, 07:15 PM   #1
T7HeadTurner
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default CrankBait Hooks

Why is the hook uselly or pretty much every time smaller in the back then the front hook?
Thanks
Old 04-01-12, 07:22 PM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by T7HeadTurner View Post
Why is the hook uselly or pretty much every time smaller in the back then the front hook?
Thanks
I've seen this on some lipless crankbaits but normally, the hooks are the same size. I fish all my baits with the same size hooks, I even use short shank hooks so I can move up a size on a lot of baits. As long as the hooks don't tangle up with each other, you should be fine.
Old 04-01-12, 07:27 PM   #3
T7HeadTurner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I've seen this on some lipless crankbaits but normally, the hooks are the same size. I fish all my baits with the same size hooks, I even use short shank hooks so I can move up a size on a lot of baits. As long as the hooks don't tangle up with each other, you should be fine.
Yea, mostly Lipless. I do change them out and put a bigger hook in the back, I always though maybe if they short strike it?
Old 04-01-12, 08:45 PM   #4
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by T7HeadTurner View Post
Yea, mostly Lipless. I do change them out and put a bigger hook in the back, I always though maybe if they short strike it?
XCalibur does this on their lipless baits, I'm not really sure why. I try to put on the biggest hooks that won't hang on each other. To me, I would rather have the bigger hook on the back than on the front, if I had to have one smaller. I'm sure there is a good reason for a smaller one on the back, or they wouldn't do it but I don't know what it is.
Old 04-01-12, 08:56 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I change the hooks on every crankbait I buy before I ever put it in the boat. I am a firm believer in the KVD Triple Grips, and Jrob was kind enough to send me a few packs of Gamakatsu EWG treble hooks that although they don't have as short of a shank as the KVD's, they do have a short shank. I have been fishing the Gamakatsu EWGs for a while now and I am liking them really well also. As far as why they put a smaller hook on the back of the bait the only explaination I can think of is maybe it has something to do with creating a weight foward balance on the bait to give it a certain action????
Old 04-01-12, 09:22 PM   #6
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I change the hooks on every crankbait I buy before I ever put it in the boat. I am a firm believer in the KVD Triple Grips, and Jrob was kind enough to send me a few packs of Gamakatsu EWG treble hooks that although they don't have as short of a shank as the KVD's, they do have a short shank. I have been fishing the Gamakatsu EWGs for a while now and I am liking them really well also. As far as why they put a smaller hook on the back of the bait the only explaination I can think of is maybe it has something to do with creating a weight foward balance on the bait to give it a certain action????
That's a very good point. It might help keep it nose down when the bait falls or something.
Old 04-02-12, 11:41 AM   #7
Cavs1123

It seems like when you hook a fish with the KVD Triple Grips' there is a very slim chance that they're getting away
Old 04-03-12, 09:21 AM   #8
Crankbait

That’s a good point about having larger trebles in the front of the crank..for me I put a larger crank on the rear and will sometimes change the front out to and even smaller treble then the crank came with. I do this mostly for cranks that I know I will be running through brushpiles and bumping bottom.
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-12, 09:36 AM   #9
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

It positions more weight to the front of the bait which in turn helps the bait dive deeper, and give the bait a more nose-down presentation.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.