Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-25-12, 06:21 PM   #1
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Keeping geese off your yard/dock

If anyone has any good, LEGAL ideas for helping keep geese off our lakefront yard and dock, I would love to hear them. Many cabin/homeowners on our lake use the silver & red mylar flash tape, and we've used it in the past with decent success, but with 270-ish feet of sandy shoreline, that is a bit cumbersome and more maintenance than I'm looking for (not to mention what a big eyesore it is). Thanks for all ideas you may have!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 06:28 PM   #2
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Attack Schnauzer!!!

lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 07:12 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have no idea if you want to do this but it's worth a try. Our local parks department has been dealing with issues of geese at our lake park. They learned for some source that geese love yards that are mowed right up to the waters edge, but if there is a tall uncut boarder about 5-6 foot deep all along the waters edge, the geese loose interrest in that area. They prefer grassy areas with easy access to the water edge. So maybe just don't mow any closer than 5 foot from the shoreline, and in time, perhaps your geese will leave the area.
Old 04-25-12, 07:12 PM   #4
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Attack Schnauzer!!!

Looks like a Gremlin. Don't let it get wet!!!
Old 04-25-12, 07:40 PM   #5
MIbasser

Get a coyote decoy. I've seen them in a few yards and didn't see any geese. I've also seen owl decoys as well.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 08:20 PM   #6
Bill M
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have no idea, hear plenty of off the wall ones from grape kool-aid to fake dogs.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 08:49 PM   #7
nobass

several years ago i work for a church that had a pond in front. the geese where a big problem. they make a commerical repellant that dose smell like grapes but also contains other chemicals. it is also safe touse nothing that will hurt the enviormate or kill fish. only draw back it must be reapplied after a strong rain. really help to keep the gese off the lawn. they bought thur the lcal co op
Old 05-02-12, 05:36 PM   #8
Dogmatic

Silhouettes, our parks/school department uses coyote(dog) silhouette decoys. Thing is, like any decoy, you have to move it around on a nearly daily basis, to maintain it's effectiveness.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 06:27 PM   #9
MO_CPA

Are you just bragging that you have 270-ish feet of sandy shoreline at home
Old 05-02-12, 07:31 PM   #10
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO_CPA View Post
Are you just bragging that you have 270-ish feet of sandy shoreline at home
That certainly wasn't my intent in any way, so I apologize if it came off like that. I was just trying to give all the pertinent background info thinking it might be important in order for someone else to share potential solutions.
Old 05-02-12, 07:41 PM   #11
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
Get a coyote decoy. I've seen them in a few yards and didn't see any geese. I've also seen owl decoys as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post
Silhouettes, our parks/school department uses coyote(dog) silhouette decoys. Thing is, like any decoy, you have to move it around on a nearly daily basis, to maintain it's effectiveness.
Thanks, guys. I think we'll try some silhouette decoys and see what happens. One potential issue might be that we sometimes aren't up there for 10 days at a time, so we won't be able to move them around like we should, but we'll try it and see how it goes.
Old 05-02-12, 08:41 PM   #12
MO_CPA

@Watterboy, Certainly not. Just thinking aloud about how nice it would be to live that close to the water.
Old 05-02-12, 09:48 PM   #13
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO_CPA View Post
@Watterboy, Certainly not. Just thinking aloud about how nice it would be to live that close to the water.
Well, technically we don't "live" there...yet. We use it as much as we can from April-October and then it's "closed" during the winter. Our current full-time residence is about 4.5 hours away and we've had the lake "getaway" place since Labor Day of 2008. Our plan is to retire up to the lake place full-time in just a few years, as I'll be retirement-eligible in just over 7 years.
Old 05-03-12, 08:37 AM   #14
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
Thanks, guys. I think we'll try some silhouette decoys and see what happens. One potential issue might be that we sometimes aren't up there for 10 days at a time, so we won't be able to move them around like we should, but we'll try it and see how it goes.
For travel and food fees (and a small salary), I'd be happy to come up there and move the decoy around when you're not there. Of course, I'd need full access to your cabin and boat. But don't worry, I'll bring my own rods, reels, and baits.

BB
Old 05-03-12, 07:44 PM   #15
joedog

I know a guy who has a very similar challenge, not being there to move them around. If you don't move them they truely are almost worthless.
Anyways this is what he uses now, last two years, and says it's not an absolute solution but the movement in the wind is really alot more effective than a stationary decoy.
Anyway this is it,
http://www.watchdoggoosepatrol.com/p...og-decoy3.html

The guarantee is also nice. 30 days to see if they work in your situation.
Oh he says he moves them around each time he visits.
Said to put one close to the dock.
He has the three pack.
Also said closer together at the start seemed to work for him. Said more comotion was best at start and then spread them out gradually always leaving one by the dock.
Good luck and once you get them under control the woodpeckers will find the house, now there is a real challenge.
Old 05-03-12, 08:35 PM   #16
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
I know a guy who has a very similar challenge, not being there to move them around. If you don't move them they truely are almost worthless.
Anyways this is what he uses now, last two years, and says it's not an absolute solution but the movement in the wind is really alot more effective than a stationary decoy.
Anyway this is it,
http://www.watchdoggoosepatrol.com/p...og-decoy3.html

The guarantee is also nice. 30 days to see if they work in your situation.
Oh he says he moves them around each time he visits.
Said to put one close to the dock.
He has the three pack.
Also said closer together at the start seemed to work for him. Said more comotion was best at start and then spread them out gradually always leaving one by the dock.
Good luck and once you get them under control the woodpeckers will find the house, now there is a real challenge.
Thanks, Joe! Those are the exact ones we were going to try.
Old 05-03-12, 11:56 PM   #17
bluebasser86

Be careful if you have a dog that's chasing the geese around, you get the wrong DNR officer there they can issue you a citation for harassing wildlife.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-12, 12:35 AM   #18
Jrob78

I heard a talk show host on the radio today talking about ducks getting in his swimming pool. A caller called in and suggested buying a few large toy snakes at a toy store and putting them out by the pool. He said it worked for him on multiple occasions through the years.
Old 05-04-12, 09:18 AM   #19
Mr.Bassmaster29
BassFishin.Com Member

12 gauge Do it in season though if ya wanna be legal!
Mr.Bassmaster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-12, 11:40 AM   #20
BigBassMan

Send a message via ICQ to BigBassMan
Default Geese

Bottle rockets, firecrackers, remote control helicopter, when lake is frozen, don't want to crash it in lake, remote control car in Summer. Counted 63 little ones around lake yesterday, some yards have no grass now! Almost a full time job keeping them out! The spray works for awhile but at $38.00 a quart it gets a little expensive. They ain't the least bit scared of me when I go out with the slingshot. They also know the range of my pellet gun.
BigBassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-12, 02:12 PM   #21
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bassmaster29 View Post
12 gauge Do it in season though if ya wanna be legal!
This is the permanent solution......20 ga. would do in a pinch though.

I've seen all kinds of things tried. People even paint the eggs so they don't hatch and the population doesn't increase but still doesn't keep them from eating the grass and crapping all over. Since you don't live there the decoys probably won't do any good since they need to change locations. The geese get used to them if they stay in one place for long periods of time.
Old 05-07-12, 06:27 PM   #22
keithdog

There is a place near where I work where they have a small retention pond. They put out coyotee decoys and moved them all around. They have a floating aligator head that moves around the pond. Three years later, the geese are still there. Never saw any change in goose behavior.
Old 05-08-12, 09:09 AM   #23
Mr.Bassmaster29
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
This is the permanent solution......20 ga. would do in a pinch though.

I've seen all kinds of things tried. People even paint the eggs so they don't hatch and the population doesn't increase but still doesn't keep them from eating the grass and crapping all over. Since you don't live there the decoys probably won't do any good since they need to change locations. The geese get used to them if they stay in one place for long periods of time.
I'm not sure if I understood this right, but if you were able to get to the eggs to paint them, wouldn't it be more effective to just crush the eggs?
Mr.Bassmaster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 12:07 PM   #24
3dkicker

You would think so. I don't remember the exact reasoning for this but I was told that they did it. Maybe one of those urban legends type thing....I had a cousin who had a friend who....
Old 05-08-12, 12:23 PM   #25
MississippiBoy

Maybe if you just smashed the eggs, the geese couple would mate again and lay more eggs. But painting the eggs kills the embyro inside, but still gives the geese something to sit on and protect, so they won't lay any more.
Makes sense, right?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.