Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 02-04-10, 08:37 AM   #1
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default St. Croix Mojo

Well, I am thinking of buying the St. Croix Mojo Spinnerbait rod. 7' MH Fast Action. I have a bunch of gift cards to use up at Dick's Sporting Goods, and they just got the Mojo rods in for $89.

If anybody has a Mojo rod, I am looking for a review. How do you like it thus far? Thanks

Ryan
Old 02-04-10, 08:46 AM   #2
BlueDaksi
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post
Well, I am thinking of buying the St. Croix Mojo Spinnerbait rod. 7' MH Fast Action. I have a bunch of gift cards to use up at Dick's Sporting Goods, and they just got the Mojo rods in for $89.

If anybody has a Mojo rod, I am looking for a review. How do you like it thus far? Thanks

Ryan
I own several. I've found them to be very sensitive and durable. They are lightweight, but not particularly well-balanced. I think that they are a great value for the money.
Old 02-04-10, 08:49 AM   #3
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Well, having never used one, I can't really say. But just from holding them, they seem pretty nice, however, I much prefer the feel of the skeet Reese, and vendetta rods for the same price point!

Just my 2 cents!
Old 02-04-10, 09:33 AM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Being one of the first value priced rods on the market before the craze really caught on with manufacturers, It was one of two I considered getting last year. Little did I know that within six months, I'd have about 10 to choose from.

I've got the 7' M Tube/Grub spinning model that I use for mostly wacky rigs and shaky heads. I've also thrown small cranks and spinnerbaits on it as well.

Like BD, I find them fairly light, but not the best balanced. The spinning rod is better than most of the casting rods I've handled in the series, but I've found this to be true with most brands and rods.

I fished it wil Yo-Zuri Hybrid ultra soft at first, but got tired of the line. I didn't know if it was the line or the rod, but I cold hardly feel anything. I switched it out for some 8lb Seaguar Carbon Pro I had and sensitivity got much better. While it isn't as sensitive as some of my other rods, even my Crucial Dropshot Rod (which is only like $30-40 more), it is about what I expected from a rod in it's price range.

At first glance, a few things about the rod bugged me. For one, the color. And second, the design of the grips on the spinning model. But with time, I've grown to like both. The color isn't as bad as I first thought and actually look pretty cool in direct sunlight. The handle is also a lot more comfortable that I had though it would be. Overall, the rod makes a great combo with a Pflueger Supreme spinning reel.

I'm sure you have looked at other options, but I'd seriously check out the AG Vendetta again. I think they are balanced better.

BB
Old 02-04-10, 09:49 AM   #5
nofearengineer

Like B144, I own a 7' Med Tube/Grub spinning rod. It is a pretty good rod, though I haven't used it for what it was intended for yet. Having used it for crankbaits and even trolling, I can attest to its strength and durability. It has taken two absolute freight train hits by 5 lb bass on a trolled DD-22, as well as a monster catfish I never got to see that about bent it over double.

It is pretty light, and looks really nice in the sun, like BB144 said.

I also own a 7'6" MH Flippin/Pitchin casting rod that I also haven't used a lot (notice a pattern here?). I actually got this rod as a trade-in when I broke one of my Triumph spinning rods, and I have to say I think the trade was worth it. Like the spinning rod, the build quality is very nice. Though it is obviously not as sensitive as one of my Legends, I think it will do just fine as a pitching rod. For the price, it would be hard to improve on much.
Old 02-04-10, 12:08 PM   #6
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have one and really like it. You want be disappointed.
Old 02-05-10, 09:55 PM   #7
bladesandbaits
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bladesandbaits

I have 2 for Jerkbaits and am really happy with them.
Regards,
Blades
bladesandbaits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-10, 08:48 AM   #8
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Being one of the first value priced rods on the market before the craze really caught on with manufacturers, It was one of two I considered getting last year. Little did I know that within six months, I'd have about 10 to choose from.

I've got the 7' M Tube/Grub spinning model that I use for mostly wacky rigs and shaky heads. I've also thrown small cranks and spinnerbaits on it as well.

Like BD, I find them fairly light, but not the best balanced. The spinning rod is better than most of the casting rods I've handled in the series, but I've found this to be true with most brands and rods.

I fished it wil Yo-Zuri Hybrid ultra soft at first, but got tired of the line. I didn't know if it was the line or the rod, but I cold hardly feel anything. I switched it out for some 8lb Seaguar Carbon Pro I had and sensitivity got much better. While it isn't as sensitive as some of my other rods, even my Crucial Dropshot Rod (which is only like $30-40 more), it is about what I expected from a rod in it's price range.

At first glance, a few things about the rod bugged me. For one, the color. And second, the design of the grips on the spinning model. But with time, I've grown to like both. The color isn't as bad as I first thought and actually look pretty cool in direct sunlight. The handle is also a lot more comfortable that I had though it would be. Overall, the rod makes a great combo with a Pflueger Supreme spinning reel.

I'm sure you have looked at other options, but I'd seriously check out the AG Vendetta again. I think they are balanced better.

BB
Personally, I'd stay away from the AG vendetta. Lots of people love the casting rod, but I've mainly heard negative comments on the spinning rod.
Old 02-06-10, 01:39 PM   #9
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

My best friend has two Mojos, but I don't really care for them. I think there are much better rods for the money.
I'd much rather pay extra and get an avid if you must go with St.Croix, but if not, try some discontinued rods on eBay or something. You can get Shimano Crucials for about the same price and they are loads better.

So if I were to recommend with a yes or no, it would be no.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-10, 01:54 PM   #10
MN Bass Man
BassFishin.Com Member

My brother bought this exact rod last summer and teamed it with a Daiwa Tierra. Sharp looking combo, but when I tried it, it felt uncomfortable. Maybe because I use lefty reels and his was a righty. He loves it however. It's a far cry from the equipment he had used in the past, so he loves the lightness and sensitivity.
MN Bass Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-10, 05:17 PM   #11
TN_Bassin

I have the Jerkbait/Topwater rod but I use it for spinnerbaits, and I love it. Just for everyones information the Jerkbait/Topwater rod is 6'6" M power w/a fast tip. It's sensitive and lightweight. I've banged it around a bit and it didn't even get scratched so I would have to say it is also durable and versitile.
Old 02-06-10, 06:06 PM   #12
nofearengineer

I forgot to add, my Mojo Tube/Grub spinning rod took the tumble down the riverbank with me, and got a few nicks, but is still going strong. My Triumph and my XML rod weren't so lucky. Somehow fits, as the Mojo was the only one I had a Gander replacement guarantee on.
Old 02-08-10, 11:27 PM   #13
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use mainly St. Croix rods and I have nothing but good to say about them for the most part, but I am extremely disappointed with the Mojo Series rods. They're balanced very, very poorly and feel tip-heavy. Also, the tiny rod butt just does not feel right to me.

I own 1 (7' 11" H/MF) and have used 2 others (7' M/F and 7' M/Mod action). There are better ways to spend $100+. The Premier Series or Shimano Crucial, for example, among others.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 11:41 PM   #14
nofearengineer

I have to sort of agree with you about the Mojo rods, as far as the balance issue. Other than that, they seem to be very well-built, nice looking rods.

I like split grip rods. However, there is a problem with the way many manufacturers have implemented them. Rather than use them to perfectly balance the rod with slightly less weight by putting it all in the rod butt, they have chosen to forgo the balance, and cut the weight of the grip entirely, because people like to hear numbers, as in "our rod weighs only X ounces."

I for one, would rather have a rod that weighed 0.4 ounces more, but was balanced perfectly under the reel seat.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.