Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Poll: Which "Value Market Rod" do you like the best?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Which "Value Market Rod" do you like the best?

Old 01-17-10, 11:20 AM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Value Market Rods

I know there are already a few threads dealing with specific "Value Market Rods" but I think we need one to discuss and compare them all.

So, what rods have you used? Which ones have you looked at? Which ones do you like the best and why? How do certain ones compare to others?

BB

Note: all prices are from Tackle Warehouse with the exception of the Kistler Carbon Steel, which came from Kistler's website.

Note 2: You can vote for more than one rod.

Last edited by BigBassin144; 01-17-10 at 11:28 AM.
BigBassin144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 11:27 AM   #2
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Not sure what you're asking here BigB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
So, what [Value Market Rods (like $70-120)] have you used? Which ones have you looked at? Which ones do you like the best and why? How do certain ones compare to others?
That is my question. It's pretty much what we've been doing in all the other threads about the Bucoo, Tessera, Vendetta, etc. but all in one thread and about all the value market rods.

BB
Old 01-17-10, 02:39 PM   #3
nofearengineer

I've only ever even held one of them...the Mojo Bass, which I happen to like, but I will leave the poll to those who can give a more educated comparison.
Old 01-17-10, 06:53 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Ok, here's my opinions on some of the rods. (having only fished with the Mojo)

AG Vendetta - Of all of these rods that I've held, these seem to be the best balanced. I love the reel seat, and the overall design of the rod. Makes it look like a $400 rod. the split grip is a plus, and the foam is nice for a rod of that price.

Falcon Bucoo - Another nicely balanced rod. I got to handle one that by buddy bought, but not for very long. The end of the split grip is a bit small, but overall not bad.

Shimano Clarus - Not a bad rod, and the cheapest of the ones I picked for the poll. Shimano makes great rod, and this one is definately a good for the price.

Shimano Compre - Another good Shimano rod at a great value. I just with they'd update the handle, maybe a split grip.

Skeet Reese Tessera - I gotta give this one bonus points for the subtle yellow accents. Anyways, not a bad feeling rod, the Vendetta, Bucoo, and Compre all seem more balanced to me. The split grip is nice, but the grip material is weird to me. Seems like it would be slippery when wet. I was kind of dissapointed in the glass rods; much heavier and unbalanced. But hey, what did I expect from a glass cranking rod and using my graphite one all summer.

Mojo - The only one of them I have actually fished with. Sensitivity is good for a rod of this price. I like the split grip, and the rear provides a good grip for two handed casts. One complant, which only arose recently, is they raised the price on all the rods like $10. Which, for me, bumps the higher priced ones out of the value rod market (Which I tend to view as between $70 and $120).

BB
Old 01-18-10, 08:33 AM   #5
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The Skeet Reese Tessera rod was a pretty good rod besides the "yellow" color of the rod, it appeared to be a very well built rod.

The Abu Vendetta rod seemed the most balanced to me as well, but I do not like a rod without a foregrip. Other than that, I would like to hear others opinions on these to rods.

Ryan
Old 01-18-10, 09:16 AM   #6
Bassboss

Hey BigB! You forgot one or two rods!

1. I BPS CarbonLite (folks at talk tour really seem to like 'em)
2. the BPS Extreme.

If you can add them please do!
Old 01-18-10, 09:22 AM   #7
BigBassin144

bassboss, I can't add them, limit of ten item in the pole. But everybody feel free to talk about any rods that fit the price range that aren't on the poll as well.

BB
Old 01-21-10, 08:37 PM   #8
LuvThyMeta|
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to LuvThyMeta| Send a message via MSN to LuvThyMeta| Send a message via Yahoo to LuvThyMeta|

Abu Garcia FTW !!
LuvThyMeta| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 09:05 PM   #9
Forums Admin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvThyMeta| View Post
Abu Garcia FTW !!
LuvThyMeta|, Could you elaborate a bit as to why you like the Abu Garcia? Thanks.
Forums Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-10, 08:56 PM   #10
LuvThyMeta|
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to LuvThyMeta| Send a message via MSN to LuvThyMeta| Send a message via Yahoo to LuvThyMeta|

Well im using a Abu Garcia rod right now with an Abu Garcia Revo S reel and i have had no problems with yet so far. Feels very comfortable and light to cast with. Sensitivity is just right for me. I really don't have anything bad to say about this rod, others might think different.

I just noticed the votes Abu Garcia has, second place ? lol. Yeah that should say something lol.
LuvThyMeta| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-10, 09:08 PM   #11
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

For the purpose of this, I tried to focus on the cost benefit. I did this based on the assumption that it was for general fishing and not tournaments. In general fishing I do not think that one missed bite holds the same value as in a tournament.

I chose the Clarus, Vedetta, and Tessera. The only one's listed that I have not used are the American Rodsmith and the Lamiglass. (I have used higher end Lamiglass and love them.)

While I do consider the Compre to be a better rod than the Clarus, I am not sure that it is 30% better as the price might indicate.
The Tessera has fast become one of my favorate rods and one that I consider a tourney rod. I would compare it to rods that are twice the price.
I have cast the vedetta a few times, but found it to be of a good quality. In the interest of full disclosure, I have not yet landed a fish on it, so it may be a skewed opinion. My only concern will be how it handles repeated use.
Old 02-09-10, 12:20 PM   #12
BigBassin144

Finally got to check out the Carbonlite at BPS the other day. I compared it side by side to a similar Vendetta.

Weight/Balance - Both rods are very light for the price range. However, I find the Vendetta to be a better balanced rod.

Components/Quality - Again, the Vendetta wins out there. While they are both light rods, it seems to be like the Carbonlite is made lighter by skimping on good, quality components. The guides and quality of the reel seat kind of dissapointed me on the Carbonlite, but was kind of what I'd normally expect from a rod of this price point. The blanks on both rods seemed fine. There really isn't much to compare the Vendetta to, but in terms of over BPS rods, (and if the ratings means anything within the same brand), the blank is supposed to be similar to the Johnny Morris Signature rods (85 million modulus).

Ergonomics - The reel seats on both rods were fairly comfortable, but to fully be able to judge it, I would have had to put reels on them. I think the Vendetta's reel seat is just a bit more comfortable without a reel mounted. The split reel seat is something that may take some getting used to on the Carbonlite. The grips... I don't know what's with the rubbery feeling grips that are found on a few value market rods like the Carbonlite and Tessera, but I don't like them... Hands down, the EVA grips on the Vendetta win with me.

Sensitivity - Hard to test in the store, but after employing a couple different tests that a lot of people use instore to judge rod sensitivity, I'd have to give this one to the Carbonlite. While not a whole lot, it does seem more sensitive than the Vendetta. Maybe it's the blank, maybe the more exposed reel seat, who knows.

Style - I know its not that important of a factor to most of us, but I thought I'd throw it in there. The Carbonlite rods are very plain to me, with the only detailing of any kind coming from grips. The Vendetta on the other hand looks like a rod straight out of Japan. The aluminum foregrip/reel seat tightener looks awesome, as does the trim on the rear of the split grip.

Price - Very close, especially with the introductory sale on the Carbonlites right now.

Overall, I think I'd buy a Vendetta over a Carbonlite. While most on here haven't cared for the carbonlite too much, I have read some very good things about them on other boards. Including a guy who claims they are more sensitive than his Shimano Crucials...

BB
Old 02-09-10, 01:45 PM   #13
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Personally... I have not seen enough of a difference between a basic $20 walmart MH 7'0 rod and a $120 Abu Garcias... I have used various higher dollar equipment (my brother in law has the monkey on his back 24/7, plus he fishes local tournys), and so far I have not seen enough of a difference for me to spend my hard earned money... but that is also my preference/outlook.

I have been using the cheaper stuff since I was little and never had a problem with sensitivity, weight differentials or anything else... next chance I get I will go out and write down exactly what I have for my 2 bass poles, but both setups were less than $60 each for rod and reel. I don't use the $12 combos (except for panfish setups) so at least I am not THAT cheap
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-10, 01:16 AM   #14
Garry2rs
BassFishin.Com Active Member

In the past ten years I have used three BPS Extreme's and both of the Shimano rod on the list.
I once had a Clarus with a bad reel seat, but other than that it was okay, I guess, but just okay.
I have owned several Compre's spinning and casting rods and consider them a bargain. Shimano has a Limited Lifetime Warranty on them...I don't think the others have that kind of coverage.
The BPS Extreme rods are okay, but they are quite heavy compared to the Compre's.
I'm sure that many of the other rods are fine too, but that Limited Lifetime Warranty keeps me a Shimano Fan.
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.