Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-10, 07:45 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Shimano Crucial rods

I'm considering buying a Shimano Crucial rod. The model CHC-X70H 7ft heavy power XH action casting rod to be exact. The trouble is, I've been to our local BPS, Cabelas, and Gander Mountain as well as Dicks, and I cannot find any Crucial rods anywhere right now. I really hate to buy a rod I have not been able to check out. So I got to thinking, I bet some of you fellas in here have either used or checked out the Shimano Crucial rods. If you have, would you please give me some feed back as to what your opinion of the Crucial rods is. I have one of the cheeper Shimano Convergence rods that I use for small cranksbaits and really like that one.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-10, 08:51 PM   #2
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Check out your local Gander Mountain, I was able to recently pick up a couple of Shimano Crucial Rods for 75 ea. They were the CRC-C66M Crankbait rods Med action. They are very light and are IM9 / TC4 blanks and Fuji new concept Alconite guides, seem to be a fine rod to me, matched it up with a Revo SX, a little faster than I like for crankbaits ,but I will make it work.

Sorry didnt see you had already checked with you local Gander Mountain.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-10, 09:02 PM   #3
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Keith, go crazy man I bought one last year the 6'9 DS model and I love it ! Its only for the ds to light really to do anything else but after using it for a year I love it.
Old 01-25-10, 09:21 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Like BassMojo, I own one of the DS rod (7'2" M) and love it. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of the series after using this rod. I think it's one of the best rods in it's price range.

I've also held half a dozen Crucials at the local BPS and while the trigger rods a bit more tip heavy than the DS spinning rods, they are still VERY nice rods.

BB
Old 01-26-10, 10:52 AM   #5
cassidyta

I broke and needed to replace my D/S crucial. This is what I found out.

Everyone is out of the Crucial's right now. Shimano went through a lay off and is playing catch up on their supply/vs demand right now.
The Crucial spinning rods should be arriving on 4 Feb with the trigger rods arriving a couple of days after that.
Old 01-26-10, 04:01 PM   #6
islandbass

I have the 6'10" MHXF casting rod. If you need an idea of how sensitive this rod is, picture this:

A crisp, 18 degree winter day, beyond numb, frozen hands, even with mitts and a pair of gloves (My buddy was blazing down the lake at about 50 mph... yup, I was practically a popsicle.)

My hands were so cold and numb that I couldn't bend my fingers to turn the handle of the crank and hold the rod with the other set (of fingers).

We were fishing pretty deep, about 55' down. Despite my frozen hands, I felt the take of a smallie and got excited through mitts and gloves. Now that's sensitivity for you.

I didn't land it, unfortunately. It is hard to set the hook when you keep the butt end of the rod near your armpit and the blank on top of your forearm because your right hand can't close to grip the rod, and to compound the situation, to try to retrieve line with the palm of your left hand because you can't even grip the crank's handle.

It makes me wonder if the crucial is this sensitive, how much more sensitive the cumaras and cumulous rods are.
Old 01-26-10, 04:29 PM   #7
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
I have the 6'10" MHXF casting rod. If you need an idea of how sensitive this rod is, picture this:

A crisp, 18 degree winter day, beyond numb, frozen hands, even with mitts and a pair of gloves (My buddy was blazing down the lake at about 50 mph... yup, I was practically a popsicle.)

My hands were so cold and numb that I couldn't bend my fingers to turn the handle of the crank and hold the rod with the other set (of fingers).

We were fishing pretty deep, about 55' down. Despite my frozen hands, I felt the take of a smallie and got excited through mitts and gloves. Now that's sensitivity for you.

I didn't land it, unfortunately. It is hard to set the hook when you keep the butt end of the rod near your armpit and the blank on top of your forearm because your right hand can't close to grip the rod, and to compound the situation, to try to retrieve line with the palm of your left hand because you can't even grip the crank's handle.

It makes me wonder if the crucial is this sensitive, how much more sensitive the cumaras and cumulous rods are.

I'd say that qualifies as a dam good recommendation right there!
Old 01-26-10, 07:05 PM   #8
keithdog

Ok guys, ya have me sold. Now maybe I can find it on sale between now and ice out!!! Thanks for the feedback.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 08:22 PM   #9
islandbass

Right on! Come on in and join Club Crucial! The water's fine.
Old 01-26-10, 08:48 PM   #10
Bob Smith

I'm another Crucial fan, I have two of the 7' 2" DS rods, I also have a Dobyns Champion Extreme 7' 4" DS rod, I pick up the Crucials as often as the Dobyns and like them just as much. They have an excellent warranty. Lifetime, no questions asked, no co-payment. Find a reputable dealer and let them send the blank back, in a couple of weeks you get a new rod! simple as that!
Old 02-05-10, 03:36 AM   #11
MN Bass Man
BassFishin.Com Member

I've seen them on sale at the Gander Mountain here as well, they have a few 6'6" or 7' MHF. I'd like to try one, But I've already got a Falcon Cara with the same specs that I dearly love, and I'm trying to expand my technique specific selection rather than doubling up right now.

They also have the same Cara for the same price, which is a steal I think. With the 25% off the marked price they're all about $75.
MN Bass Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.