Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-10, 06:23 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Spinning combo?

All right, so I've been looking at a crankin rod, but I also need a spinning combo, or at least a half way good one. my price range is the same 60 bucks at the MAX. Right now I'm looking at Pfluegers, they have great combos with IM8 rods. I'll still be buying it on e-bay, because of price. Right now I'm looking at presidents, and president XT combos if I can can find one with the right price. The new Plueger Arbor looks great, with a really nice rod (I like the split grip). If not a Pflueg, than probably a Garcia cardinal, if they have combo with at least IM7. I'll be using it for everything finesse, mostly shaky heads and wacky worms, maybe a drop shot every now and then. So should I get a 6'6", or 7' rod?

I'm still open to suggestions or course, so suggest away!

Thanks guys!
Old 01-31-10, 06:33 PM   #2
nofearengineer

MY main suggestion, Bassboss, is that you forget all of thie IM6, IM7 stuff. IM rating is almost completely meaningless. At the very least, it should have zero to do with your choice of a rod.

That said, I'm sure you can get a nice spinning combo for $60. My buddy bought a nice Daiwa Exceler combo at Gander last week for $60.
Old 01-31-10, 06:50 PM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

My experience with the Cardinals is they are good low priced rods, with not too long of a life. My Cardinal 301 is about 5 years old and I can't get the gears to completely quit grinding. Granted, I paid 30 bucks for it. We've also got a couple Garcia 102's which are just back up reels.

I've had my pflueger Supreme for almost a year now, and it's still smooth as the day I got it. I wouldn't hesitate to get another Supreme. While I haven't fished with either, I don't think there's not much of a difference between the Pres and the Pres XT. (and the blue one looks nicer IMO).

I'd stay away from Shimano's lower end reels. While shimano makes one of the better high end spinning reels, I haven't had good experiences with the Sahara or below.

One brand of spinning reel I haven't tried but would like to is Daiwa. I'm a big daiwa fan, but I've never used their spinning reels.

Personally, I'd try to save up more and get buy a better reel and a rod sperately. I know I don't care for rods that come in combos. I'd maybe save up for a AG Soron and Vendetta combo.

BB

There's more I wanted to say, but forgot since Woody and Bubba are distracting me on the chat, lol.
Old 01-31-10, 07:46 PM   #4
TBone66
BassFishin.Com Member

last summer i went into a Dicks sporting goods and bought a quantom optix spinning reel for $25. It is pretty smooth. Then went over to gandermountain and found a berkley amp rod, 7 ft. medium action for $30. Gandermountain usually has there own brand of rods that are pretty nice too. This combo is pretty nice. I really like it for throwing weightless stick baits and other plastics.
TBone66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-10, 08:45 PM   #5
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
My experience with the Cardinals is they are good low priced rods, with not too long of a life. My Cardinal 301 is about 5 years old and I can't get the gears to completely quit grinding. Granted, I paid 30 bucks for it. We've also got a couple Garcia 102's which are just back up reels.

I've had my pflueger Supreme for almost a year now, and it's still smooth as the day I got it. I wouldn't hesitate to get another Supreme. While I haven't fished with either, I don't think there's not much of a difference between the Pres and the Pres XT. (and the blue one looks nicer IMO).

I'd stay away from Shimano's lower end reels. While shimano makes one of the better high end spinning reels, I haven't had good experiences with the Sahara or below.

One brand of spinning reel I haven't tried but would like to is Daiwa. I'm a big daiwa fan, but I've never used their spinning reels.

Personally, I'd try to save up more and get buy a better reel and a rod sperately. I know I don't care for rods that come in combos. I'd maybe save up for a AG Soron and Vendetta combo.

BB

There's more I wanted to say, but forgot since Woody and Bubba are distracting me on the chat, lol.

Ya, I love the look of the Soron SX's, that and a Mojo rod, or Castaway Go 2 would look great IMO! You've got a mojo right? how you like it? Very sensitive?

And I may try to save up money for a year, see what kinda combo I can get!

Last edited by Bassboss; 01-31-10 at 08:59 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-10, 09:12 PM   #6
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
MY main suggestion, Bassboss, is that you forget all of thie IM6, IM7 stuff. IM rating is almost completely meaningless. At the very least, it should have zero to do with your choice of a rod.

That said, I'm sure you can get a nice spinning combo for $60. My buddy bought a nice Daiwa Exceler combo at Gander last week for $60.

60 bucks is a decent price. Really not a bad combo at all.
Old 01-31-10, 09:13 PM   #7
MallenManson

Quote:

BB

Completely agree on the Supreme. I love that reel
Old 02-01-10, 11:07 AM   #8
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:

I agree 100000% about ignoring the IM stuff, it is for the most part COMPLETELY meaningless. A cheap rod that says IM345 is still just a cheap rod, don't buy into it!

I also agree that the Exceler is a great buy! I don't own a spinning reel but I do own a Exceler bait caster and it has been a great reel. I can't imagine that the spinner is any different.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-10, 12:02 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Bass boss, if you do go with a Daiwa, I can tell you one thing right now. They're aren't going to be buttey smooth like the Pfluegers, even the President (which is by far the smoothest reel I've felt in it's price range).

Anyways, I know you read TT so you should know that Daiwa's have that special Daiwa feel to them. I've played with the Tierra spinning reel (and went with the PFlueger Supreme mainly because it was $30 cheaper), and it is nice. It does have that "connected with the internals" feel that Daiwa is known for. So if you don't like that, I'd go a different route.

BB
Old 02-01-10, 03:22 PM   #10
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

BB,

It's time for action, lil bud. If you have only $60, here is a combo that should be fine for your needs.

Find yourself a Shimano Convergence rod that has the specs to suit those applications. I think you know enough about rod powers and actions to find right rod. They're about $40

Then get an Abu G Cardinal. They're about $35.00

This will $75, but it will be money well invested. Shoot, that extra $15 could be easily made mowing a few lawns, or not drinking lattes for a month. Oh wait... You probably don't drink lattes. Sorry, it's a Seattle thing!
Old 02-01-10, 07:37 PM   #11
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
BB,

It's time for action, lil bud. If you have only $60, here is a combo that should be fine for your needs.

Find yourself a Shimano Convergence rod that has the specs to suit those applications. I think you know enough about rod powers and actions to find right rod. They're about $40

Then get an Abu G Cardinal. They're about $35.00

This will $75, but it will be money well invested. Shoot, that extra $15 could be easily made mowing a few lawns, or not drinking lattes for a month. Oh wait... You probably don't drink lattes. Sorry, it's a Seattle thing!
I like the lawns idea, I just wish I had a lawn mower! I think walmart has cardinals for 30, and maybe I can wait and find a good deal on one. They seem to be the best reel in that price range for sure, after looking at TT, bass pro, and cabelas. But if I have/save enough money, I'll get a bps PQ (they're on sale now for 40).

And I know an older guy that fishes at the same lake as me that uses the Convergence rods (spinning), and he seem to really like them and talk about them very highly! But than again, at 75 bucks, i could just a a pflueger president for five bucks more. =/ But hell, I could be able to snag a good deal here on the boards on a better rod like a cluars.

And maybe to rack in a few extra bucks I'll sell my lightning rod, Bionic blade, and current (crappy) spinning combo with the line on it, and maybe a few extra lures I never use.

Last edited by Bassboss; 02-01-10 at 07:52 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-10, 09:07 PM   #12
nofearengineer

Boss...you can buy a used lawn mower for less than a spinning combo, I assure you. Then you can make a thousand bucks in a Summer if you work it right. That would buy a lot of fishing gear.

All this snow we got recently brought back memories of me and my brothers grabbing our shovels early in the morning and going door to door shoveling snow for 5-10 bucks a driveway. Those were the days, man.
Old 02-02-10, 09:12 AM   #13
Bassboss

I was looking around at the cabelas Bargin Cave, and I found a great combo for 60 bucks.

It's a Shimano Sedona + Cabela's Tourney Trail rod.

120$ value for 60 bucks.. I like that! And since you're the MSRP of both is 60$, I'm basically getting the rod for free!
Old 02-02-10, 09:13 AM   #14
MallenManson

Sounds like a good deal, boss.
Old 02-07-10, 12:10 AM   #15
MN Bass Man
BassFishin.Com Member

I've got the Sedona, and not the newest model with the propulsion technology either, and its been a fine reel. I was able to buy a returned Pflueger Supreme at Gander for $35 a few weeks ago, so I'm looking forward to comparing the two this year.
MN Bass Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-10, 12:17 AM   #16
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Bass Man View Post
I've got the Sedona, and not the newest model with the propulsion technology either, and its been a fine reel. I was able to buy a returned Pflueger Supreme at Gander for $35 a few weeks ago, so I'm looking forward to comparing the two this year.
I can tell you right now, if the sedona is anything like the Sahara, the supreme is hands down the winner of any comparison you could do on those reels.

BB
Old 02-15-10, 11:08 AM   #17
sac
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I love my Sedona, and for that price with a rod.....you can't go wrong with it. DO IT!
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-10, 04:25 PM   #18
MallenManson

Quote:
I can tell you right now, if the sedona is anything like the Sahara, the supreme is hands down the winner of any comparison you could do on those reels.

BB

I really need to get another Supreme.
Old 02-15-10, 09:28 PM   #19
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
I really need to get another Supreme.
Get an WT from OSBT! for 100 bucks...... same price?
Old 02-15-10, 10:20 PM   #20
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Look into an Okuma. This is one of the best spinning reels I've bought in the last 10 years, and I believe I found mine for around $65.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Okuma...age-OKTSR.html

I also own an Okuma Inspira...very nice!
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-10, 09:19 AM   #21
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
Look into an Okuma. This is one of the best spinning reels I've bought in the last 10 years, and I believe I found mine for around $65.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Okuma_Trio_Spinning_Reel/descpage-OKTSR.html

I also own an Okuma Inspira...very nice!
Hmm.... My dad has an Okuma spinning reel, and it lasted about 2, or 3 months, before you could feel the gears moving around, and it lost it's smoothness. So, I'd be hesitant.
Old 02-16-10, 09:23 AM   #22
BigBassin144

It probably just need lubricating. A lot of cheaper gear makes one of two mistakes. 1. Over lubrication, and 2. under lubrication.

I'd take it apart, hit the gears with some grease, and see if it improves.

BB
Old 02-16-10, 01:09 PM   #23
Backwater Charlie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Two thumbs up for the Pflueger President! The best spinning reel I've owned. It's as smooth as a baby's butt (lol) and casts like a dream, and also hauls in nice fish too. I'm about to get another President but this time pair it with a St. Croix Triumph or maybe a Berkley Lightning Rod Shock or maybe one of the Graphite series rods from BPS.

I use mine for light Texas-rigs (4"-6" worms with 1/16-1/8oz weights) and I couldn't ask for a better reel for the price. The Soron SX an STX (is it the STX??) are twice the price but would also be excellent choices...

That $60 deal you were speaking of sounds great as well!
Old 02-16-10, 01:45 PM   #24
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Hmm.... My dad has an Okuma spinning reel, and it lasted about 2, or 3 months, before you could feel the gears moving around, and it lost it's smoothness. So, I'd be hesitant.
Don't know...I've had my Inspira for 3 years and it works like the day I got it - and I've never cleaned it. It could be that he got a bad one? Did he send it in? From what I've heard the customer service rivals Abu's.

I know what you're saying though, it's tough to buy something again when it failed you before. It's the same reason I REFUSE to own any reel that says Quantum on the side.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.