Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 02-12-10, 04:55 PM   #1
Callin' In Slick
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Historic cold in the South and the fishery....

Are there significant fish/prey/bait kills? Changes in insect cycles? Other effects on the spawn etc? On big bass? We've had later and colder temps and ice on water where there might never have been any before. I would be interested in the take of those with knowledge of these things....
Old 02-12-10, 05:24 PM   #2
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Here in south Arkansas this last month has been alot colder than usual. Around Presidents day is when I usually start catching some hogs at our local lunker lake, with water averaging 50-55 degrees for this time of year. Right now were in the 40 degree range. Which is much cooler than it usually is this time of year. My guess is this has pushed the bass back close to a month here. I'm going on Presidents day anyway (it has somewhat became a tradition with me and my son, after having 2 consecutive years of unbelievable days) 2 years ago I caught my 10.5 on presidents day, last year Me and My son caught a 9.5 lb, 8lb, 7lb and 2 more over 5lbs sitting in one spot as the big girls were in prespawn cruising for food and searching bedding grounds. I assume we are going to find nothing in our usual honey hole this year as the water is much cooler.

I'll post back after monday to confirm.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 05:52 PM   #3
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

One thing I know for sure, is with these 30* night time temps we've had, their's been a MAJOR kill off of snook, so bad they've closed snook season for 3 years, and maybe more, cuz we're getting more crazy cold temps heades out way!
Old 02-13-10, 10:05 PM   #4
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
One thing I know for sure, is with these 30* night time temps we've had, their's been a MAJOR kill off of snook, so bad they've closed snook season for 3 years, and maybe more, cuz we're getting more crazy cold temps heades out way!
WOW! Thats a big money industry, is it not?
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-10, 10:42 AM   #5
bamabassman

I went over to guntersville last thursday, just to see the river cause i am so wanting to go fishing,lol, and i didn't SEE any fish floating around anywhere. Of course now, the water i churning like crazy form all the rain, sleet and snow form up north. The river is almost black from the stuff coming down too. It has been historicly cold, yes, but i doubt that it'll have much impact on the bait fish or game fish for that matter here.
I might be wrong too, sooo..........
I am willing to bet the when this cold weather is over, it'll turn hot real quick. The almanac says we are supposed to have a MILD summer, which would be great for fishing. we will have to see about that. I personally hope it is true. Last year we didn't have a great summer, even though i didn't get to go fishing much. I still heard it was a pretty bad year for this area. So i am thining it will be better this year. At least i am hoping so cause i plan on being out there MUCH more than last.
Old 02-14-10, 10:53 AM   #6
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverIslander View Post
WOW! Thats a big money industry, is it not?
Not really, other than tourism as far as I know. It's illegal to sell them in stores, and restaurants.
Old 02-14-10, 11:02 AM   #7
Rebbasser

I want to know why we haven't heard from algore and the global warming crowd explaining the historic cold/snow events.
Old 02-14-10, 11:04 AM   #8
JB

Smile

we've heard that exact same question asked all week at work reb,
word has it Gore is lost in an avalanche .....
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-10, 11:35 AM   #9
bassinbob

Reb, if I recall right they said the winter weather patterns of more cold and snow are caused by the Polar ice caps melting. This causes colder water to flow into regions that are not usually so cold. Thus creating your climate of colder and snowier winters. If you listen to the people who dispel this theory you will find out that actually the ice caps are creating more ice. I hope Al Gore-ah nevermind.
Old 02-14-10, 03:51 PM   #10
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The earth is currently at a peak heating period and it is only downhill/colder from this point forward for the next few thousand years.

This also means that the long/odd winters like this will cause the bass when they do start moving for pre-spawn to be much more hungry and be more likely to take anything they can find, which also means better fishing for us.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-10, 03:55 PM   #11
WTL

I have heard that they are having shad kills at lay lake, to answer to original question. Unless it gets cold on another level (0 degreesish) I dont think there will be many longterm effects other than maybe fewer bugs. A lot does depend on whether spring comes in for real or if we just limp into spring a degree at a time. The mayfly hatch could be interesting this year. Either way, they will be hitting frogs in august and guys will be nightfishing in july and the spawn will be sometime before that, things might change a week or so but I dont think this is going to derail our year.

I have heard that in south florida, they have had large fishkills of snook and tarpon. Hope not.

Al Gore is collecting data in Australia I'm sure, where it is the heat of summer. His internet doesn't work down there so he wont be able to integrate our temperatures in any data he submits to the UN.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-10, 04:01 PM   #12
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

There have been a few short mayfly hatches already here but we have already gone back down below freezing at night so the cold may affect it locally...
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-10, 03:32 PM   #13
Raul

Well, no snow here, but itīs been raining cats and dogs for the past 15 days, which in itself isnīt that bad at all, donīt have to worry about watering the lawn, however on the other hand itīs terrible, canīt go feeshin and by the time it stops raining instead of mowing a lawn Iīll need something more powerful or bigger than my regular everyday lawn mower cuz ...... man, I can actually see the grass growing !
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-10, 01:23 AM   #14
MarkB
BassFishin.Com Member

Erratic unusual weather is a symptom of global warming.

As for the polar caps creating more ice...everything I've seen says the opposite.
MarkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-10, 01:44 AM   #15
Reels M in
BassFishin.Com Member

I fish Lake Fork in Texas regularly......except this year. Normally, I fish it 2 full days a week in February but we just had record 9" snowfall in a day and I have only gone twice this month! The rumors are predicting a short concentrated late spawn here in March and April. These cold temps are killing me!
Reels M in is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.