Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-09-06, 09:43 PM   #1
GoneFishN
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Let's talk Braided

So guys do tell, what do you think when it comes to the line on your pole? I have been having alot of problems lately with my braided line from knot strength to breaking, that's right breaking. Some have suggested Flourocarbon. What do you guys think is the best out there?
GoneFishN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 05:47 AM   #2
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

how is your line breaking? The only way I know of braid breaking is from freying on rocks or other such sharp objects, certainly not from any fish. Never had a problem with knots, either..

What kind of braided line were you using?

For Flourocarbon, I would go with Yo-Zuri Hybrid(Its not true flouro, but a copoly with all the same qualities as straight flouro).
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 12:15 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i work alot in rocks. i had a fish break 20 pound braid at the knot today. i was just about to retie it. i use the lighter pound test braid because of water clarity. i like 30-40 pound as you can break it when you need to.. i belive the only change will be i won't use 20 pound again on my rods..but as for brand calcutta ultra is better than most- i have no idea who makes it- and of course the standard 40 pound ande braid..

zooker
Old 09-10-06, 01:38 PM   #4
dodgeguy

flouro is the worst for knot breakage.it casts terrible.it does have good abrasion resistance.i hate it.i use nothing but sufix braid now.even braid gets weakened and should be retied if frayed.if it's not frayed it should not break.i use a palomar knot glued with superglue and have never had one slip.
Old 09-10-06, 03:36 PM   #5
Vabass22
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use stren, big game, gamma, and another flouro, and have been impressed with all of them. Might try braid someday, but right now I have no need to, as my 8lb gamma copolymer works awesome on spinning reels, and my 10-12 big game or stren is on my baitcasters, and some spinning reels. I use 20lb bigme for catfishing, or saltwater. I tried calcutta freshwater mono, and it sucked, as did spiderwire stealth. Both me and my dad tried cajun redcast once, and he loved, it, while I hated it.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 04:29 PM   #6
zooker

mopar mad man
why glue the knot?? this is an old school technique prior to the use of the polymar knot.glueing the knot was something alot of folks did back in the late 80's.. i don't glue mine as it is just wasted time imo.. when i break braid at the knot it normally is from working in a lot of rocks and not reting it enough.. something ya must do more often with lighter braid.or so i have found out..

zooker
Old 09-10-06, 05:39 PM   #7
Hef

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

You hit it right on the head Zook.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 07:19 PM   #8
dodgeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
mopar mad man
why glue the knot?? this is an old school technique prior to the use of the polymar knot.glueing the knot was something alot of folks did back in the late 80's.. i don't glue mine as it is just wasted time imo.. when i break braid at the knot it normally is from working in a lot of rocks and not reting it enough.. something ya must do more often with lighter braid.or so i have found out..

zooker
it's mostly to keep the tag end from fraying.some guys burn the end to melt it together.it also makes it impossible to slip.some guys say that the palomar cuts into itself with braid but i have never seen this happen even when i didn't glue them.
Old 09-10-06, 07:46 PM   #9
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
it's mostly to keep the tag end from fraying.some guys burn the end to melt it together.it also makes it impossible to slip.some guys say that the palomar cuts into itself with braid but i have never seen this happen even when i didn't glue them.
its a self contained knot so you shouldn't have any worries about the tag end slipping. Next time you tie it, take a looks at you line, knot, and lure and you'll see what I mean. A properly tied palomar is the best thing since sliced bread.
Old 09-11-06, 03:04 PM   #10
Wishing2BFishing

Are you guys still favoring the Power Pro braid? What lb. test do you usually get?
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-06, 03:38 PM   #11
Rodman_Rob

I love Power Pro. I've used 10, 20 and 30 lbs test. Seems as if my 20lbs test was stronger than the 30. 20 lbs test also seemed to cast better than the other 2 for some reason.
Old 09-11-06, 06:11 PM   #12
ironman

Send a message via AIM to ironman

Yea, lizard's recommended power pro to me and he said to use 50# an I LOVE it.
ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-06, 06:45 PM   #13
kbkindle
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to kbkindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodman_Rob View Post
I love Power Pro. I've used 10, 20 and 30 lbs test. Seems as if my 20lbs test was stronger than the 30. 20 lbs test also seemed to cast better than the other 2 for some reason.
kbkindle here i also use power pro and have allways used 20 lb test they have a 15 lb test that i just bought going to try man that stuff is so sensitive. 15 lb is the same dia.as 4lb mono
kbkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-06, 06:51 PM   #14
Rebbasser

50 lb PowerPro. The reason is the line diameter-the same diameter as 12 lb mono, which is what I use in both mono and fluoro so I'm dealing with the same diameter line regardless of what I'm using.
Old 09-11-06, 07:04 PM   #15
dodgeguy

powerpro is good but you guys should really try a spool of sufix.
Old 09-11-06, 08:21 PM   #16
ironman

I use suffix on all my baitcaster's, it is awsome.
Old 09-11-06, 08:59 PM   #17
lizardsrule

The downside to braid is it does fray when on rocks, mussels, anything sharp. I also notices it fraying a lot on one rod, and checked my guides, and sure enough it was bad, and that's why I lost some fish LOL. However 10lb stuff where I fish just won't cut it. I would rather pull myself over to my hook, then lose a fish in the Lilly Pads, wood etc... I use 50lb because I have 100% confidence in that line. I use 20 LB Fireline a lot on my spinning rods, but after I use up my stock, I will probably be Power Pro exclusively, Except on certain instances I use P-Line as a leader, which is rare. I will say it again, I HATE losing fish due to line breakage, and so I use stuff that I feel I can always land a bass on, no matter where she goes with it. Tom can attest to the fact on 2 seperate occasions at Stick March I hooked a bass, it got wrapped up in the stumps, I trolled over to it, and still had the fish. If you want to use 8lb line(like my fishing partner does) then don't cry when you get a break off, I don't want to hear it. If you are fishing OPEN water, and there is nothing at all around then use it, and play the fish, and watch the mortality rate of the fish go way up as you expertly play it to the boat without it breaking off. I want the fish to the boat now, not in 5 minutes of fighting it because the line will break if I don't This is MY opinion, but the stress you put on a fish fighting it over a longer perioed of time does make a difference, and that's been documented by the scientists. Use what you like, but remember the consequences for your choice of line.

Lizards
Old 09-11-06, 09:02 PM   #18
dodgeguy

i agree!!!
Old 09-11-06, 09:03 PM   #19
ironman

Do you think I should use that fireline instead of the powerpro for my spinning gear???
Old 09-11-06, 09:11 PM   #20
dodgeguy

NO!!!USE SUFIX!!!
Old 09-11-06, 09:13 PM   #21
ironman

I used too, now I just use it for my baitcaster. I like the powerpro much better.
Old 09-11-06, 09:14 PM   #22
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman View Post
Do you think I should use that fireline instead of the powerpro for my spinning gear???
I have a bunch of the Fireline, and have preached about it for a long time. 20lb Fireline has the diameter of 8lb mono. You could use either without any problems, but the Power Pro doesn't seem to twist up as much. I'll give ya some to try next time we meet up BTW Fireline is a FUSED line not braided. It will cut your fingers in a heartbeat if you get them wrapped up in it. I actually believe Fireline may be stronger for the lb equivalentcency(is that a word) than Pwoer Pro, but it's thicker.

Lizards
Old 09-11-06, 09:15 PM   #23
ironman

Thank's lizard's.
Old 09-11-06, 09:25 PM   #24
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule View Post
I actually believe Fireline may be stronger for the lb equivalentcency(is that a word) than Pwoer Pro,
its a word if you spell it right just like POWER, couldn't help it.
Old 09-11-06, 09:27 PM   #25
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodman_Rob View Post
its a word if you spell it right just like POWER, couldn't help it.

No wonder I couldn't edit it, I was trying 2 different times, but it wouldn't let me, you were too fast rotfl. Oh well, I'll leave it be, no point in not laughing at myself too

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.