Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-10, 10:48 AM   #1
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Sponsorship cross over techniques

My company provides high end financial services to medical providers so a non fishing product. I am using my company as my base sponsor to attract others. It might not seem like it fits but I used my boat and trailer at a trade show in December as a test. No wrap only a few logos at the time and I got more attention than some of the booths we spend ten of thousands of dollars on in the past. Most banker and medical types love to fish. So I give them something to break the ice with and the prospect of having meetings over a day on the water! I was able to book a solid week (5) days on the water with meetings. Two days had two trips. As a result I did not get any fishing product sponsorships but I did get two new business deals and of course the promise of more deals. My business is very developmental so it takes a year to get a deal done and of course in these trying times financial business is very tough. Turns out fishing knocks 6 months off of a deal cycle for us. That's really big to our company.

I am on the West Coast and as some of you know I am working on going full time pro so sponsorships are very important. I booked myself into a small convention in New York for next month. (Non fishing related) I made arrangements for a local boat dealer to let me display one of their boats at the show. It’s a win win situation. They get to show a boat to a bunch of lawyers, bankers and doctors. My company gets the attention and hopefully I get some business deals which will provide some money for fishing or even a sponsorship potential. I am having a brochure on CD done so that I have sound and pictures with motivational high energy music. If I get some meetings in New York or areas I can’t reasonably get my boat to, I will hire a local guide to take my clients out…. (I am thinking of doing a show in FL using a local guide’s boat at the show. Again, good for him and I)

Additionally, I am looking at two shows that are not related to my current core business but they are a good cross over.

If I read an article about someone of influence and it mentions that they like to fish when their not working, I plan to market to them for a cross over sponsorship.

The same effect as a golfing meeting if you will...

So as you see it’s does not need to be fishing related products to get out there. In fact if its cash you need it’s a good option to go outside of fishing product sponsorships to get started.

I really don’t mind sharing my techniques and feel free to PM me. So clean up the gear show the potential sponsors that this is a win win situation. Not just a give me a check and I will put your name on my boat. Most importantly remember for every potential sponsor that you meet and win over, you have all of their contacts and all of that persons contacts so on and on compounding results.

Oh I almost forgot and in closing, I helped a friend of mine in Washington to get a few bucks together for fishing and he got a Church and School as a $10,000 cash sponsorship. So you never know and just remember – most people love to fish. Offer to take them fishing and have a professional business card and brochure available….. He invited the local McDonalds manager fishing and they have a fishing date... It's out there just be aware.
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-10, 02:40 PM   #2
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Now that's a clever approach!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.