Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 08-09-09, 11:59 PM   #26
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Well, thank God I got my first ever spinnerbait bass recently, or that would be my problem lure. I do good on cranks, C-rigs, T-rigs, but I have never gotten a bite on a buzzbait/propbait. However, I did just buy a couple Rapala Skitterprops (even learned to tie the Rapala Knot ), and I will be pounding it out with them until I get some success.
Old 08-10-09, 12:27 AM   #27
Stew
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've never caught a fish on a Jitterbug. Go figure.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-09, 12:34 AM   #28
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I don't catch many fish on a jig or a lipless crank, but I seldom use them. A couple of months ago, I would have said the spinnerbait and crankbait were dead for me. But since joining and asking questions, and reading post, they have been a good contributor for me this year. I can't catch one on that dang topwater locus either.
Old 08-10-09, 01:02 AM   #29
Flippy
BassFishin.Com Member

it seems to me everybody has a single bait or technique that they are 100 % confident in. For me its the lizard no matter how you rig it i can throw every hard bait, topwater, spinner,crank,lipless that i have and i have no luck. in my case im sure i simply dont know when and the weres to each of these baits. i have listened and read about them all and still nothing i need someone to show me i guess
Old 08-10-09, 10:47 AM   #30
DonaldBreland

Email me flippy. donaldbreland@gmail.com. I am from South Carolina as well. I would be glad to help you understand different baits and when to use them.

http://www.donaldbreland.com
Old 08-10-09, 04:37 PM   #31
3dkicker

Last year I would have said lipless cranks but I've got one that the fish just flat out eat on the river. Had a huge day this spring with it and used it last time out to put 4 keepers in the boat to get a limit. I've got a box full of different colors and brands and have only caught five or so fish with two of them.
Buzzbaits and Spooks I do well on so no problem there. C-rigs I've caught fish on but don't use it that often. I don't drop shot but have caught some fish with that also. I guess the only bait I need to improve on is a jerkbait. I've caught fish on it but very few and very far between.
Old 08-10-09, 06:51 PM   #32
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Thats familiar Stew. I went my whole life and never caught a single bass on a Jitterbug, and now out of nowhere, this year they are eatting it up! But never after mid morning. Definately works better for me when it's dark or near dark.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-09, 07:59 PM   #33
crankybait

definately buzzbaits, and I don't find much success with any long worm. lizards dont work so well for me either. Same with beaver/creature baits
Old 08-10-09, 08:10 PM   #34
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Thanks for reminding me, I can't catch a thing on a beaver type bait. There's a guy I've fished with who pours his own and swears by them, but I can't buy a bite on them.

BB
Old 08-11-09, 12:06 AM   #35
DonaldBreland

I think it all really has to do with the area your fishing. An old man told me to never think of my lures as baits but instead think of them as tools. He said you have to use different tools to rebuild motors and the same goes for catching fish. The trick of this sport is to know when and where to fish a certain bait. The next time you go fishing try this. On every cast you make ask yourself WHY. Ask yourself why did you cast there and why did you throw that bait there. Then ask yourself what kinda bait would actually live in that area. For instance you don't want to throw a lizard in 40 foot of water in the middle of a lake. I would throw a spoon, deep diving crank bait or slow roll a spinner bait, but if I'm fishing near the shore or around trees then I would throw a buzzbait, texas rig worm or trick worm, something of that sort. I wouldnt throw a spoon there. I guess what I am trying to say is this game is all about luck but you are the one that has to make yourself lucky. You have to match baits with the forage and the area your fishing. When I pre-fish for a tournament on a new lake I take day number one and spend reading maps, marking spots and observing what other fisherman are doing. I also spend time in tackle stores with my ears open hoping to catch some insight on what the lake has been doing. The one thing I will not do is get caught up in the hype on what people are catching their fish on. Instead I like to know how deep. You are only good at your confidence baits. So adapt as needed. Sorry for the long post.
Old 08-11-09, 09:01 AM   #36
Captmikestarrett

Ok I have some real problems trying to figure out what will not work in my tackle box. Normally the oldest bait is the one that will not catch fish.. but for the life of me I can not think of a single one in all three boxes that has not been a killer at some time..

Capt Mike
Old 08-11-09, 09:11 AM   #37
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldBreland View Post
I think it all really has to do with the area your fishing. An old man told me to never think of my lures as baits but instead think of them as tools. He said you have to use different tools to rebuild motors and the same goes for catching fish. The trick of this sport is to know when and where to fish a certain bait. The next time you go fishing try this. On every cast you make ask yourself WHY. Ask yourself why did you cast there and why did you throw that bait there. Then ask yourself what kinda bait would actually live in that area. For instance you don't want to throw a lizard in 40 foot of water in the middle of a lake. I would throw a spoon, deep diving crank bait or slow roll a spinner bait, but if I'm fishing near the shore or around trees then I would throw a buzzbait, texas rig worm or trick worm, something of that sort. I wouldnt throw a spoon there. I guess what I am trying to say is this game is all about luck but you are the one that has to make yourself lucky. You have to match baits with the forage and the area your fishing. When I pre-fish for a tournament on a new lake I take day number one and spend reading maps, marking spots and observing what other fisherman are doing. I also spend time in tackle stores with my ears open hoping to catch some insight on what the lake has been doing. The one thing I will not do is get caught up in the hype on what people are catching their fish on. Instead I like to know how deep. You are only good at your confidence baits. So adapt as needed. Sorry for the long post.
You make some very valid points. I remember telling my brother the very same thing once several years ago. I think all too often, fisherman get into the trap of relying on a couple baits they have had success with in the past and fail to take into consideration the conditions they are faced with that particular moment. Or they will be fishing a bait in exactly the type of water it was designed for but not taking into account the pattern the bass should be in at that particular moment. The bass simply may not be where they are fishing, and experience would have told them so. Often bass also are not where they should be based on past experience, and thusly knowing when to move and try some other approach is important. And that is where knowing which lures to use in which situation is mandatory. It takes experience and that is without a doubt the hardest thing for younger inexperienced anglers to learn. It's almost like a 6th sense one developes over the years of fishing. However, I also think there are certain lakes where certain lures for whatever reason simply don't produce as they should. Last weekend for example. It was 7 AM and bass were chasing small fry at the surface big time over submerged weedbeds. I spent an hour buzzing a buzzbait over the tops of submerged weedbeds in 7 feet of water right where the bass schools were feeding. Even worked it over, along and through laydowns nearby. Did the same with my lipless cranks as these two lures were designed to be "go to baits" for that situatuion. Not a single hit. But when I started throwing the Jitterbug and spinnerbait in the same areas I started getting hits about every 4th cast. I guess thats part of the fun of fishing is the mystery involved and trying to understand why.
Old 08-11-09, 09:41 AM   #38
Nater1300
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Same boat for me! I have tried different sizes, colors, speeds, morning, night...everything but ice fishing

Nothing, not even a nibble.
Nater1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-09, 10:41 AM   #39
DonaldBreland

See Keith Thats where we sometimes make mistakes of what to fish. I am not downing your abilities by no means and I am also guilty as charged with over throwing buzzbaits but generally when I see bass busting water I do one of three things. I will throw a LockLizard Lure, a spinnerbait or a fluke. Spinnerbaits are supposed to mimic bait fish and the bass were probably chasing the bait fish around. Same with a fluke. It imitates a dieing or injured shad. Now I like the Lock lizard Lure because of the movement of the bait. It actually looks like a lizard swimming on top of the water so the fish might say.Hey!! there is something different.
Like I said. I am not perfect but I have been tight lipped for many years and now I want to help people become better fishermen. I try to analyze everything and put a reasoning to why the fish are there and what are they feeding on.
I hope I helped. Thanks for reading, Donald Breland
Old 08-11-09, 06:00 PM   #40
keithdog

No offence taken Don. Sharing different ideas is what this forums is all about. That helps us all grow and learn. Besides, your choices would have made sense as well. And thats probably why when I switched to a spinnerbait I started catching some of those schooling bass. I figured a buzzbait would imitate a small fry trying to escape at the surface. But apparently the bass didn't think so, lol. I'm very interrested to see a picture of the LockLizard. It sound interresting. Do you have a link to post for it?
Old 08-11-09, 06:12 PM   #41
BigBassin144

Yes, there is a link to it on his website, which is in his signature, and probably more than half his posts...

BB
Old 08-11-09, 07:35 PM   #42
DonaldBreland

Half my posts. That's funny. I am not on here to promote baits. I am on here to help make each angler better fishermen and hope to make myself better as well. I truly believe in every product I endorse and that is why they are on my website. I do not put the link to my site on every post. I only post a link to my site when I have added something to it. I do it in hopes to get feed back to help make it a better site.
Old 08-11-09, 09:30 PM   #43
BigBassin144

Donald, I sent you a PM. I didn't want to hijack this thread, it is a very good thread.

BB
Old 08-11-09, 09:57 PM   #44
66KingFisher

Its interesting to see how one bait works for some and not at all for others.

I've caught a ton of bass on spinnerbaits and buzzbaits over the years so they are some of my first goto baits, but I've never got a bite on a unique spinnerbait that came out several years back called the "Tornado" and was designed by some old cajun by the name of "Shoestring DuBois".....back when it hit the market it was the hottest bait i'd seen come along and was a unique mix of spinnerbait,buzzbait....Their infomercials convinced me that i'd catch more fish than you could shake yer pole at, so I paid the high price and purchased several.....man that bait could churn the water like nothin else, and it made some serious noise, but to this day I've yet to catch a bass on one.....Go figure!

Unlike others i've caught some of my biggest bass on full size Spooks and Jitterbugs.....but everyone of them came at dawn or dusk.....same for poppers and chuggers....they are bass killers at dawn and dusk but not much good any other time of day.

I've never fished a Carolina rig and not even sure i'd know how to rig it or fish it....T-riggin has always been productive enough for me, so I guess I never felt the need to try that style.....same goes for the dropshot.

Now I got to wondering.....Do you think its possible that fishing ponds with certain baits will produce for one guy, while the next guy only fishes large impoundments and can't get a bite? The pond angler might have killer success with poppers at all hours of the day, while the lake angler can't a fish on a popper to save his life at anytime of day?.....could pond vs lake be a factor?
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-09, 11:24 PM   #45
keithdog

66, I think maybe it could. I'm remembering something that happened to me about 20 years ago. I spent a half day fishing a lake not too far from my home. It is about a 150 acre lake. We fished this lake hard for 6 hours without landing a single fish, and then called it a day as my partner had to go to work. We drove seperately for that reason. After he left, I was preparing to leave when I noticed a pond through some heavy growth I hadn't seen previously. It was about 40 yards from the lake we had just finished fishing. I thought why not, so I grabbed a rod with the same spinnerbait tied to it that I had been casting that day without getting any action. I walked to the pond and found a small opening I could sneak into and start flipping the spinnerbait around. The cover was so thick that it made casting very tough. In 10 casts, I had caught 7 bass, the largest being a nice 5 pounder. I lost a bass I know was definately much larger than that as well. Why the pond was on fire while the lake just a few yards away was not I could only guess. But I do think that the small size of a pond can be a factor in how the fish are behaving. Changes in weather and other factors are going to effect whats going on in a pond faster than they will in a lake. For instance, the water in the pond was no doubt warmer than the lake I was fishing that day. It was late april when this happened. Up here in northern Indiana, the lakes and ponds are still warming that time of year. The bass in the pond were probably closer to spawning than the bass in the lake, even though the two bodies of water are so close to one another.
Old 08-12-09, 01:23 AM   #46
Bender

Spinnerbaits are my problem. I have caught a few fish on them this year, but I have thrown them a lot to cover water, especially since it has been so windy. Slow rolling is the only way that has worked at all for me and I know that is not the way most people fish them. I feel that I have put in the time with them and have not seen results.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-09, 06:01 AM   #47
woody

My spinner bait bite has been really slow.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-09, 09:10 AM   #48
Captmikestarrett

I see some issues with big cigar spooks and jitterbugs.

Two people can fish side by side with a spook or jitterbug and only one catches fish. Why because the way they move the bait.

For instance most think a jitterbug is a full on retreive bait but it is not. Cast out and let rings settle LIFT ROD TIP HIGH and pop it once. Let sit for minute. If it bothers you to leave it sitting imagine how it works for the LGMouth. Now with rod tip high start the slow retreave. Stop now and then and let sit. 9 out of 10 times the minute you start that reteave BAM you get a hit. Adjusting the retreave is very important too. Make it go just fast enough the make the bloop sound.. Bloop bloop bloop is like sweetest sound I have ever heard. Rod tip high and line off the water please..

More on the spook if you want it?

Capt Mike
Old 08-12-09, 11:13 AM   #49
aikenyounggun

i must fish totally different than you guys, bc the stuff you guys cant catch fish on i kill em on: zara spook, c-rig, rattle traps, buzzbaits .... heck i have never caught a fish on a popper because i a zara spook is my go to topwater (3 topwaters i throw: buzzbait, spook, frog)

one thing that i have actually thrown and disappointed me is craws like chiggercraws or speed craws, i have started throwin em recently and aint caught nothin on em
Old 08-12-09, 11:22 AM   #50
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippy View Post
it seems to me everybody has a single bait or technique that they are 100 % confident in. For me its the lizard no matter how you rig it i can throw every hard bait, topwater, spinner,crank,lipless that i have and i have no luck. in my case im sure i simply dont know when and the weres to each of these baits. i have listened and read about them all and still nothing i need someone to show me i guess
Oh ya, same here lizards are an other one for me! I did get a big hit with one on the top this weekend... but it broke me off!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.