Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 03-24-10, 06:13 PM   #1
Backwater Charlie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Best line for jigs 'n light froggin?

I need a line that'll be good for jigs and also work for light cover froggin'. I'm thinking that frogs will not stay afloat too well with fluorocarbon, and jigs would work with fluorocarbon, so maybe a co-polymer would be the best for both of them?

I was thinking maybe 14lb or 15lb co-polymer. Can someone recommend a good brand of line to use for jigs n light froggin and maybe big Texas-rigged worms as well.

I would prefer something in the color BLUE (aka clear/blue florescent) because I like the visibility of it when fishing jigs. I know there's a few co-polymer lines out there available in the blue color.

Clear will work too but I'd MUCH rather have a blue line...
Old 03-24-10, 06:16 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

What about braid? Low stretch and brute strength which is a plus for both applications and is still pretty visable to you above the water.
Old 03-24-10, 06:21 PM   #3
Backwater Charlie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
What about braid? Low stretch and brute strength which is a plus for both applications and is still pretty visable to you above the water.
I hate braid. Feels like rope, very noisy on casts, I've even heard of people stripping the gears out of reels when setting the hook on a log because the stuff is so tough. That's good for some but I don't need anything THAT strong.

Anyways I'm fishing only light cover frogging and mostly open-water to light cover Jig n Plastic Worm fishing.
Old 03-24-10, 06:26 PM   #4
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

P-Line CX and CXX come in a clear fluorescent color that has a blue tint to it.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-10, 09:10 PM   #5
Bassboss

P-line CXX all the way!! Low stretch, strong enough, and tough for frogs, and sensitive enough for worms. Get 10lb test, 14lb breaking strength!
Old 03-24-10, 09:12 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

20-30lb braid all the way.

Other than that, I'd say for frogging go with a 17lb mono, and for jigs 12-15lb fluoro.

BB
Old 03-24-10, 09:54 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

The only reason I said braid was because you will want a line that floats and has low stretch for frog fishing and low stretch is also important for jig fishing as well. I have had problems with mono stretching too much and not getting good hooksets and CXX is a great line but your not gonna get it to float like you would out of mono or braid. You don't have to set the hook as hard with braid or you can back your drag off so it will slip a little on a hookset to take it easier on your equipment, also using a mono backing will help to. Other than that I can't recommend another type of line because for the applications you are asking for just don't demand another type of line. Good luck with whatever you choose and I am interested to hear how it turns out for you.
Old 03-24-10, 10:41 PM   #8
Solidbad
BassFishin.Com Member

For a texas rigged worm i would go 12-17 pound mono depending on the cover you're fishin around. On jigs I still fish mono because i can't stand braid, and I use at least 20 pound test 95 percent of the time. Only in super clear water would i go less than 20, and never lower than 17.
Solidbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-10, 10:58 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I think we may have found the solution for Charlie on the chatroom. Sufix's new Fused "braid". although it is a fused superline, they call it a braid. Anyways, it should provide most of the advantages of braid: sensitivity, low stretch, and perhaps buoyancy.

...and it comes in blue!

BB
Old 03-25-10, 12:58 AM   #10
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I would say around 20-30 lb braid (I like Power Pro), or around 12 lb Pline CX or CXX (copoly). I have found that 15 lb or higher CX/CXX has way too much memory so 10-12 lb is the sweet spot. Since you will also be using jigs, I would recommend the P-line copoly.

CX is copoly line coated with fluoro
CXX is straight copoly

I had my lipless crank caught on several stumps and branches not too long ago using 12 lb CX (palomar knot). It was bending the hooks and never broke the line.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-10, 12:23 PM   #11
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
I would say around 20-30 lb braid (I like Power Pro), or around 12 lb Pline CX or CXX (copoly). I have found that 15 lb or higher CX/CXX has way too much memory so 10-12 lb is the sweet spot. Since you will also be using jigs, I would recommend the P-line copoly.

CX is copoly line coated with fluoro
CXX is straight copoly

I had my lipless crank caught on several stumps and branches not too long ago using 12 lb CX (palomar knot). It was bending the hooks and never broke the line.
I agree with you 100% on the Pline. I have 15 lb CX on one reel now and it just isn't working out. It has too much memory and it doesn't cast particularly well. I agree that 10-12 lb is where it's at.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.