Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-20-11, 12:41 PM   #1
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default I'm learning to drop-shot

First let me say I really appreciate all the help I've gotten from everyone on this web-site. Everyone is extremely helpful and very understanding. So... thank-you!

I've never tried a drop-shot rig. I've done a little research, and I understand the basics.

Here is my first question: is drop-shotting primarily a verticle presentation? I mean is a drop-shot usually done in deep-water (12 to 20 feet, or deeper) under or close to the boat? ...or can you fish a drop-shot in shallower water (say 6 to 8 feet) by casting it out and slowly bringing it back to the boat like you would a jig for walleye?

Here's my second question: what types of lure/bait do you use on a drop-shot rig? I plan on trying senkos (I call them wacky-worms) and beyond that I'm pretty much clueless. The tacklewarehouse has a wide variety of drop-shot baits: http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Drop_...BDROPSHOT.html ...any reccomendations?

My third question is about line. How important is it to use a leader? I typically fish 10 pound fire-line. (Yes, my fire-line has lost a lot of it's color, so I may take a black sharpie and try to make the last 10 feet or so black.) I suspect is supper clear water I'd use a leader, probably 8 pound mono; 'cause that's what I have - or a flurocarbon, whichI would have to go out and purchase. If the water is slightly stained or down-right murky, I'll probably just use the 1o pound fire-line.

Editing: I just found this article which answered some of my questions, but I'd still like to hear from those who have experience at drop-shotting! http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/guides/dropshot.html

Last edited by IowaBasser; 04-20-11 at 12:47 PM.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.