Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 03-12-09, 11:07 AM   #1
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default A board basic:

Don't give advice unless you know what you are talking about.

This isn't in response to any member in particular, it is just an idea that I thought should be posted.

You don't have to comment on every thread.

You don't have to pretend to understand drop-shotting if you dont.

If you don't drop shot, its probably better to remain silent about the proper techniques for doing so rather than trying to help by paraphrasing an article you read somewhere.

If you do decide to paraphrase knowledge you have second hand, at least say that your info is second hand.

Example:
Quote:
I heard people who drop shot like to use lighter line because it is a finesse style. But personally I know more about rat-l-traps.
We have a lot of young fishermen on this board. I just want them to get the most accurate info.
Old 03-12-09, 11:34 AM   #2
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

You don't have to comment on every thread.

AMEN

Example: We have a lot of young fishermen on this board. I just want them to get the most accurate info.[/quote]

That goes for some of us older fisherman too!!!

Very good post WTL
Old 03-12-09, 11:50 AM   #3
MississippiBoy

I've heard that some people like to do this. But personally, I know more about guitar playing...

Wait...did I miss something?
Old 03-12-09, 11:51 AM   #4
jcw1503
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i agree wtl.....
Old 03-12-09, 01:38 PM   #5
lowrider

averaging 20 post per day does not mean you're special...
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-09, 02:33 PM   #6
mont_lunker_hunter
BassFishin.Com Active Member

yeah, when you can pull up the most recent threads and all of them are by the same person...either he or she is all knowing, you know like Roland Martin, or they're just tryin to get to that elite "veteran" status.
Old 03-12-09, 02:35 PM   #7
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

haha i spend alot of time on here..

reading..

now that anthonys kicking my butt with drop-shoting over texas rig in the past month.. i need to go learn how to.. but if the threads are going to be filled with junk BS i'll just watch kevins vids 100 times
Old 03-12-09, 02:40 PM   #8
WTL

I dont think there is anything wrong with having a lot of posts. Thats not my point. I just dont want to see a lot of posts where the wrong info is dispensed.

Truth is, I really am not so technically proficient. I dont give tons and tons of incredible advice on here. Lots of my posts are jokes, plays on words, simple suggestions, philosophical musings or football related rants. I think I post quality, even without posting much in the way of technical advice. The list of people who are technically proficient on here is short, but it has some strong anglers. I think if you spend enough time you know who.

But, if I were to start a post about say drop-shots, I would feel like a fraud. I dont do that. I dont know the first thing about it in practice. And my misconceptions could then be transferred to those who are really trying to learn to drop-shot, and that would be a tragedy.

__________________________________________________ _________

The internet is still new to society at large. For the first 5,000 years of human existence, Mankind tried to gather as much knowledge as possible, but never could have access to enough.

Now, there is too much knowledge at our fingertips. We literally have not yet developed the ability to cull info so that we recognize the accurate and discard the inaccurate.

We really are at a turning point in the history of...history.
Old 03-12-09, 02:41 PM   #9
MrPhotographer06

i post questions.. agreeing posts.. BS posts on BS threads.. and jokes..haha

and of course..football rants
Old 03-12-09, 02:49 PM   #10
cassidyta

I probably am one of the too often posters. I realized that I have been guilty of being the most recent post in several locations at the same time.
If I have given any suggestions that are not accurate, then I am sorry for that.
Old 03-12-09, 02:59 PM   #11
MrPhotographer06

i mainly post opinion and whats worked for me.. not whats written in the bible and in stone.. i dont even know.. in fishing there are 1654168416541054 difffent things to fish and twice as many ways to fish them.. haha
Old 03-12-09, 03:10 PM   #12
crankybait

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
I probably am one of the too often posters. I realized that I have been guilty of being the most recent post in several locations at the same time.
If I have given any suggestions that are not accurate, then I am sorry for that.
Your posts are enjoyable to read... It's ok to post a lot, as long as it isnt incorrect or the post serves absolutely no purpose
Old 03-12-09, 03:56 PM   #13
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post

Quote:
This isn't in response to any member in particular
Cass, I really, really mean that this wasn't in response to anyone. I'm not talking about someone here. Its a general thing. You are good. Stop worrying. K?

OK, nobody here ask me if I am talking about you. Cause I'm not. There is no one person who stands out as doing this a lot right now, its just a singular post every now and then I can tell...is light on the background.
Old 03-12-09, 04:10 PM   #14
jcw1503

is it me..jk...i had to...
Old 03-12-09, 04:15 PM   #15
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw1503 View Post
is it me..jk...i had to...
.......................yes
Old 03-12-09, 05:13 PM   #16
bamabassman

hahaha cass. i understand what wtl is saying.

but now i am wondering if maybe i gave out some bad advice,hhhmmmm? naaaaa, i didn't. i don't know anything. hahahahaha.

TRULY NOW, i undertand what wtl is saying. and i agree with him. just hope i help when i DO post. thanks buddy!
Old 03-12-09, 06:29 PM   #17
bingham

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham

yeah i understand what your saying, i too am a young fisherman(17) but i know enough for when i do post i try to just give my opinion. i dont want to tell anyone they are wrong but i do like to let people know how i do it if they ask just to see if they also like it, or someone can let me know what im doing wrong or right. this is a really good post, and i am young, but i dont feel like this is directed to me and i can relate to what you mean. good post wtl...
bingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-09, 06:42 PM   #18
Jim80

OK, nobody here ask me if I am talking about you. Cause I'm not. There is no one person who stands out as doing this a lot right now, its just a singular post every now and then I can tell...is light on the background.

Were you talking about me ? good post man .

Jim
Old 03-12-09, 08:02 PM   #19
BassBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
averaging 20 post per day does not mean you're special...
True. Its annoying.

Well said WTL. Agreed.
BassBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-09, 08:13 PM   #20
aikenyounggun

okkk but dont just blame it on us young uns .... we tryin to learn and tell what we know..... i also seem to know what goin on around here b/c as a high school student i can go fishin a lot.... so dont jusp on me when i am tellin what i learned today, yesterday, and the day before

dont you love fishin three days in a row
Old 03-12-09, 08:41 PM   #21
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBandit View Post
True. Its annoying.

Well said WTL. Agreed.
who me post 20 times in one day?? not me.. more like 30 a day.. REALLY...

i tend to agree with brother love.. there is a lot of post on here i don't answer to. i may read them but just skip them.. if i am not sure of something i wont answer to it..

zooker
Old 03-12-09, 08:42 PM   #22
CMorg

I like to post incorrect information. However , I at the time believe it is correct , so now what ? You gonna beat me with an internet explorer stick ? Also , I make alot of type o's , I have good communication skills , I just cant spell words all that great sometimes....math is more my thing. Again you gonna get the police after me ? Whats up ? You want some of this ?? Come get it....
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-09, 08:53 PM   #23
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I agree WTL. I know I try to never give false info. I think I know a decent amount of info on fishing and I try to help other who are learning like I was (and still am) a couple years ago. A lot of my posts about technical stuff is mostly my opinion or what has worked for me. But I always make sure I state that this is what I do, or what I have had success with.

I don't think having a lot of posts is a bad thing either. I've said htis before, and so have other members, but I'd rather have someone who doesn't know all that much come and contribute what they do know to the forum often than to have a pro, even KVD, come and contribute what he knows once every couple months. (Grammar ain't my thing either, but I do believe that sentence was somewhat of a run-on. )

BB
Old 03-12-09, 09:04 PM   #24
Bob Smith

Well done, WTL, even your replies to the myriad number of replies you have gotten on this thread. I tend to side with Zooker with regard to the fact that I actually read a great many of these topics but respond to a select few (because those are the ones I feel most knowledgeable about most often). Nothing turns me off quicker than somebody trying to post to simply build thier "post count". I am a moderator on another forum and believe me folks like that can drive you nuts in a hurry!
As for spelling, Zook wins hands down! lol The way I look at it is, "If I can read it, then it's ok!" (If I can't, then OH Well that's ok too!).
The one thing that keeps me coming back to this forum again and again, is the young people (and the number of folks who genuinely wish to learn more about bass fishing). I agree wholeheartedly with WTL and with Kevin, let's keep the information flowing with well intended, knowledgeable replies to genuine honest, "I would like to know more!" type topics.
I would like welcome more folks like Ccbass, Carolina Rig, PnJ, Zooker, and others who make this forum so much fun. I also would like a few more folks like "Brotherly Love (WTL)" who has a wonderful way of putting a refreshing spin on things!
Thanks again, WTL!
Old 03-12-09, 09:18 PM   #25
zooker

thanks bobber.. i think...i know your right...at least i can umm sorta spell..seficily i can spell "docks"....lol...

fyi bobber
brother love is so called that cause his last name is "love" ....

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.