Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-27-09, 03:23 PM   #1
bassfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Tracker Pro Team 190TX help

I need your help folks.
I’m looking at a 2009 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX, it comes with the 90 Mercury, and I’m told by the dealer, it runs out to about 40mph. (GPS reading) Which would run me about 18grand. If I added the 115 motor it only bumps it up to about 43mph (GPS reading) Which would run me about 21grand
My question is, does any one of you have and/or know someone who has one, and might know what they top out at?
(The boat I have now is a 94 Tracker Magna 17 deep V, W/115 motor on it, which runs out to about 55mph boat speedo)
I’d like to run out to about 50 to 55mph, but even with the max motor 135, it only does about 43mph. (The 135 is a v6 and a lot heavier, is the reason I’m told)
Any and all help in this matter would be appreciated!!
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-09, 05:02 PM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

$21K for a Tracker? To each his own, but that kind of $$$$ would put a bass boat in my driveway. Alum may be better suited to your style of fishing, but if you're looking for speeds 55+, an 18'6" 'glass boat with a 150 HP would be better suited, for my money anyway. Better ride, storage, resale value, etc. But it's your money, I wouldn't spend 3K for 3 MPH in any event.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-09, 05:27 PM   #3
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Boogie...how exactly is a Tracker 190TX not a bass boat?

I do agree though, for $21k, I could buy a LOT more boat. Bassfisher, have you thought about buying a 2-3 year old boat? With the current economic situation, there are tons of boats sitting around out there. And a lot of them have been VERY lightly used. Some people buy one and after 3-4 months, decide it's not for them.
Old 11-27-09, 05:56 PM   #4
bassfisher

Yes, I've looked at used ones. The same boat in TN (which is about 220miles from me in Kentucky) with a 115e-tec, up graded troll motor to 24V and lot of other goodies for $18.995. Not to many used 190's out there, lots of 170 to 185. (The reason why the 190, is the wife and I sleep on the boat once we get sleepy, and wake up to start all over again.) But agreed, I'm not spending 3 grand for 3mph.
I'm just looking for the top speed of this boat really, so any help there with those motor combo's??
Old 11-27-09, 06:27 PM   #5
bassboogieman

I didn't say a TRACKER wasn't a bass boat (exactly), Y'know what I mean - 'glass, the most common, generic application of the term. A pond skimmer or pontoon could be a bass boat. Alum. boats are fine and have a definite advantage in certain waters, or for those that may not have an appropriate tow vehicle. My point was more directed at the $$$ being discussed and IMO, it would be better spent on a "bass boat" (generic term, no brand names mentioned) if all things are equal. And that 3K for 3 MPH doesn't warrant any consideration for me. I know guys that will spent $500 to gain a 1/2 MPH, to me that's absolutely nuts - to others it's absolutely necessary. But everyone spends their hard earned $$$$ as they see fit.
As you so intelligently (ouch, bit my tongue) pointed out - lightly used 18' 'glass boats are readily available for comparable money and for many of us would be an obvious choice. May not be an obvious selection for bassfisher and if a 190TX is the choice, so be it. - but I still would not see the 3k for the 115 HP as a value added option.
If he really wants to run 50 MPH+ in a 19' alum boat with 2 aboard, fuel and tackle, it's going to take a 150 HP, so possibly another brand may be considered that can run more than the 190TX's 135 HP max, that means more $$$$. Otherwise the 190TX with the 90HP (probalby pushing 40 MPH max.) would likely be the best value, save a little on gas and the 3K difference in price.
Almost missed it - a 12v T/m will be disappointing on that boat if that's what it comes with. A 24v, around 70# would be the minimum I'd consider. Have to watch Tracker - they are notorious for underpowering their boats to keep their advertised prices "low" and get prospective buyers in the door. Upgrades get expensive very quickly, as the 3K upgrade for the outboard should provide a clue.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 11-27-09 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-27-09, 06:35 PM   #6
nofearengineer

As the owner of one of the aformentioned 115 hp motors, I would definitely agree it would not have been worth the $3k extra the original owner paid for it. I curse my existence every day for not having a few extra ponies tied to the back of my boat. He should have paid $6k more and gotten the 175!!!
Old 11-27-09, 07:04 PM   #7
MIbasser

Bassfisher, go here and take a look a little ways down to the yellow and black Triton w/200 on it. It's an '07 and it'll get your 50+ and it's a lot better boat then the tracker (my .02).

http://www.bassboatcentral.com/boats4saletriton.htm
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-09, 08:22 PM   #8
bassboogieman

B I N G O on the alum. 'toon. That's a value, right there. 36v T/m to boot. A 70 MPH alum. boat - that's fun, or more appropriately FUN! That's a find that can't last long, even in this depressed market.
Old 11-27-09, 08:26 PM   #9
nofearengineer

That Triton looks like a great boat. Very sharp for that type of hull.
Old 11-27-09, 09:07 PM   #10
Basscrazie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
That Triton looks like a great boat. Very sharp for that type of hull.
And much better resale and easier to sell i would think.Every one i know with a tracker complains about the power.2 people 1with the big 190 and 1 with the 175.
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-09, 09:44 PM   #11
flfireman

I have the exact boat you are talking about. I have run 41 MPH per my GPS. This whole better boat for this and that is crap. The 190 is a smooth ride, handles well, very dry ride, fishes great even in chop, plenty of storage(I haven't even begun to use it all). Overall I am very pleased with my boat. By the way, Im 6'3"- 300 lbs, my fishing buddy is 6'5" and heavier. We also had his son who is probably 190. We still had good hole shot and still ran 40mph. Ive been told a 8-10 jackplate, different prop will make this boat pep up nicely.
Old 11-28-09, 05:20 AM   #12
Roland
BassFishin.Com Member

Bassfisher... never owned one myself, but I know where there's a brand new Skeeter 170 w/ 90 hp on the back end for a total of 13,000 Don't know what the rules are on this forum about advertising so rather than risk violating any rules, I'll just give you my email address and if you're interested contact me and I'll forward the info to you. email address is Rpfing@aol.com
Good luck with your boat buying....

Roland

Last edited by Roland; 11-28-09 at 05:22 AM. Reason: left off information
Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-09, 08:46 AM   #13
bassfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by flfireman View Post
I have the exact boat you are talking about. I have run 41 MPH per my GPS. This whole better boat for this and that is crap. The 190 is a smooth ride, handles well, very dry ride, fishes great even in chop, plenty of storage(I haven't even begun to use it all). Overall I am very pleased with my boat. By the way, Im 6'3"- 300 lbs, my fishing buddy is 6'5" and heavier. We also had his son who is probably 190. We still had good hole shot and still ran 40mph. Ive been told a 8-10 jackplate, different prop will make this boat pep up nicely.
Does your boat have the 115 or the 90 motor on it?

Also thanks to everyone for the fast replies on my question. BTW I like this forum, looks like a great group of folks, who love to fish!!
Old 11-28-09, 09:10 AM   #14
bassfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
Bassfisher, go here and take a look a little ways down to the yellow and black Triton w/200 on it. It's an '07 and it'll get your 50+ and it's a lot better boat then the tracker (my .02).

http://www.bassboatcentral.com/boats4saletriton.htm
WOW, way to many great looking boats. I'm like a kid in a candy store!!
Old 11-28-09, 09:43 AM   #15
bassfisher

Another thing, I'm a SPEED FREAK, so I'd rather not have a real fast boat like that, 50 to 60 would be fine for me, and mainly the wifes comfort.

I already have fast truck, it's a 03 Ford SVT Lightning, that I tow with sometimes. (the wifes 05 Chevy 4x4 4 doors w/camper top is our main tow vehicle, it gets way better gas mileage) Plus my 1990 750 Ninja motorcycle, so I don't need a fast boat too. LOL
Old 11-28-09, 10:57 PM   #16
TN_Bassin

Bassfisher, here in Tennessee there are many boat dealers lookin to get rid of older new stock so they can clear the way for the 2010s. One such dealer is C and O marine they sell just about any boat you're looking for and they wouldn't be a huge drive away.

http://www.candomarine.com

The boat you are refering to is on their website I think. It was a few months back
Old 11-29-09, 11:54 AM   #17
Jigger

I have the exact boat you're looking at with the 90 and an upgraded TM. I can run about 45 mph on the speedometer. I can afford a more expensive boat but I choose to run an aluminum and if this boat burned down tomorrow, I'd replace it with aluminum. Here are the pros and cons of this boat:

Pros:
1.Tows like a dream. You don't even know its behind you.
2.Adequate but not exceptional speed.
3.Shallow draft. I can fish way in the backs of coves in very shallow water.
4.Great gas mileage.
5.Great for banging around on rocks and between boat houses. Stuff you'd never dream of doing with glass. I never have to baby this boat. Scratches and scars all over it (which would spell expensive repairs for a glass boat.)
6.Smooth ride. Takes rough water surprisingly well. Not near as dry as a big glass boat. You'll need your rain suit in rough water.

Cons:
1.Tippy. Two guys standing on the same edge pitching can be unsteady.
2.Tracker trailers are absolute TRASH. Both my friend and I have had to replace ours. Pure junk. They will rot on you in a few years if you use one much.
3.Wet in rough water. Be prepared to put on the rainsuit.

I'm happy with the boat but not the trailer.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-09, 01:50 AM   #18
BustinBass197
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flfireman View Post
Are you talking about the Triton or Tracker only running 41 GPS? I am new to the site and do not want to stir anything up. I was just confused about which boat you were referring to. It would make sense that a Tracker would run that speed at WOT, but the 197 Mag w/200 opti would run 60 with three sumo-wrestlers in it and high 60s with one 200lb. guy, gas, and gear.
BustinBass197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-09, 01:56 AM   #19
BustinBass197
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 2007 Triton 197 Magnum / Mercury 200 Optimax

Hows it going guys, I just joined the forum and I happened to read this post. The Triton that is for sale on BBC in the above link is my boat. (07 Triton 197 Magnum w/200 optimax) 109lb. motorguide 36v., 2 brand new Lowrance LMS332C units 4-bank onboard charger, blinkertrim, hotfoot, etc. Everything that you would seem any any tournament boat. I have tons of pictures of everything in the boat if anyone would like to take a look. Trackers are nice and all, but this Triton is longer, wider, deeper, etc. In my opinion it is built and laid out better than an Xpress X19. MAny people think that with the 200 opti it will break the sound barrier b/c it is so light, but that is not necessarily the case. It will run in the high 60s with one person, 44 gallons of fuel and tackle. Everything on this boat works perfectly, and still has motor warranty until 2012 and hull warranty until 2017. Even though it is a 200hp it is suprisingly economic on fuel. I would love to answer any questions you have on the boat if you are still in the market. I need to sell asap. My name is Ben Brooks cell# 706-639-3071 or email at benbrooks@walkerschools.org. I am a teacher, so phone calls are difficult before 3:15. Thanks for looking.]
Old 12-01-09, 10:14 AM   #20
Jigger

Is that triton you're showing an aluminum boat?
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-09, 12:13 PM   #21
BustinBass197
BassFishin.Com Member

Yes it is. That is why I like it, and it could be yours.
Old 12-02-09, 01:34 PM   #22
bassfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
I have the exact boat you're looking at with the 90 and an upgraded TM. I can run about 45 mph on the speedometer. I can afford a more expensive boat but I choose to run an aluminum and if this boat burned down tomorrow, I'd replace it with aluminum. Here are the pros and cons of this boat:

Pros:
1.Tows like a dream. You don't even know its behind you.
2.Adequate but not exceptional speed.
3.Shallow draft. I can fish way in the backs of coves in very shallow water.
4.Great gas mileage.
5.Great for banging around on rocks and between boat houses. Stuff you'd never dream of doing with glass. I never have to baby this boat. Scratches and scars all over it (which would spell expensive repairs for a glass boat.)
6.Smooth ride. Takes rough water surprisingly well. Not near as dry as a big glass boat. You'll need your rain suit in rough water.

Cons:
1.Tippy. Two guys standing on the same edge pitching can be unsteady.
2.Tracker trailers are absolute TRASH. Both my friend and I have had to replace ours. Pure junk. They will rot on you in a few years if you use one much.
3.Wet in rough water. Be prepared to put on the rainsuit.

I'm happy with the boat but not the trailer.
That's why I looking into aluminum boats, I'm pretty ruff on my boat also. Also in the trees rubbing up against them, on them. Heck I got stuck once for over an half hour on one. I was night fishing useing my fullmoon blacklight. Thought I was going to have to towed off it, but got off it.

BTW, I went by the bank yesterday, and it'll be more money than I want to spend on a new toy. (I can, just don't want a) So I'll have to lower my standards on the year of boat I buy now. Still looking at a 190 though just older model year, or for that matter the Avalanche, that's one sweet looking boat!! The only thing my boat won't do is run real shallow. It takes about 1 1/2foot to float it, and I have to use my push pole to move it.
Old 12-02-09, 07:30 PM   #23
bamabassman

I can't tell you which rig is best. BUT, i think that with winter coming on and the economy as it is, the correct thing said earlier is TAKE YOUR TIME pal. There are A LOT of boats out there, so take time and if at all possible, RIDE THE THING. Use it like you would if it were yours. If the owner doesn't like the way you are driving it, walk away. This is the 3rd or in your case the 5th most expensive itme you buy. Make it count. Just my couple of pennies worth.
Old 12-03-09, 10:54 AM   #24
Captmikestarrett

I have seen a bunch of good tin bass boats for sale for under 10k in the last week.

Craigslist.org

Capt Mike
Old 12-21-09, 04:27 PM   #25
Acm4bass
BassFishin.Com Member

ok. here we go. I purchased a 2009 Basstracker 175TXW with EFGI 4 stroke 60 hp and I had them move the stock fish finder to the front and added an HD7 lowrance at the console..the boat 17k and after everything else 20k.

The 90 and 115 are virtually the same motor, but in general terms its usually best to go to max rated for the boat.

My 60hp is on a boat rated for a 75, and goes 37mph. And unlike my previous boats you need to trim up to optimise the speed.

I choose aluminum, becasue I like to fish...not go fast. Already I've dinged my boat up going into creeks and submerged wood...If I had fiberglass I'd be crying. A fiberglass will go faster, it will stay out of the wind easier..a little. but Its easy to damage and requires more cleaning. I use about 1 gallon of gas every 6 hrs of fishing , on an 18mi long lake. I hear you fiberglass guys spend a bit more.
Acm4bass is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.