Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-30-12, 08:11 PM   #11
Z521Bass
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Dictionary material

Government – “not creating a definitive description”

Who says we are all on this planet to please the damn government anyhow? I did not need their permission to be born, live or die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Tell that to a Jew, or Italian, Greek or any European heritage American and I think you'll get an agrument - not that you want one as you seem to embrace tradition.

It seems tradition is not as important to the under 30 generation (and this is not a slam, just an observation) as it is to their parents or grandparents. This point, generational views of tradition, is also an example of how society changes and groups, formerly deemed to be "unacceptable" become "acceptable" and are assimilated into society.

I would argue, that Tradition is a very important aspect of the issue of "Gay Marriage", in order to keep the goverment out of the business of redifining the meaning of "marriage". Acceptance of the word's traditional meaning (not necessariarly the actual definition) as being based upon religous/cultural/societal beliefs, precludes the govenment from redefining the meaning based upon the doctrine of seperation of church and state. If we accept and defend marriage as a religious or cultural institutiion, then we can assert ourselves and refute the govenment's meddling in trying to tell us what it means.

I have to agree with you in that the govenment has no business sticking it's nose in this pot, then be allowed to season the contents to suit IT's taste. As you said, govenment will make the definition as broad and obtuse as possible, not creating a definitive description, but one that can be interperted and contested for generations, as most things political tend to be. I do think this is what the gay community actually wants and the reason they keep stirring this pot and those in the majority must be aware of the tatic and refuse to let it happen.

We need to remember Gay Marriage does not equate with Gay Rights. Gay Rights is a legitimate entitlement, the same as the rights guaranteed to every citizen. Gay marriage on the other hand is not a right only a concept of a relationship between two individuals, that does not meet the traditionally accepted definition of marriage. It should remain so and whether or not an individual agrees is a matter of their own moral values and judgement, not the govenments.
Z521Bass is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.