Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-10-08, 08:24 AM   #1
danielbasspro
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Talking tips on zoom speed worm

ok so the winner of our last tournament was throwing a zoom speed worm. i was wondering how you work it. i caught my fish using it topwater. but i know they work well under water as well. thanks
danielbasspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-08, 11:05 AM   #2
Mac2

Default zoom speed worm

Get a pack of watemelon/red zoom speedworms.....not the ultra vibe speedworm, just the ones that are simply called speedworms.....the ones with the paddle tail without the hook shape cut... Be sure to get watermelon/red.

Cut off the tails. Texpose a worm body on a 2/0 bent shaft worm hook and fish weightless. Slow falling and deadsticking....let fall to bottom, wait 15 to 20 seconds, then take one s l o w turn of the reel handle, wait another 15 seconds, than take one s l o w turn.....keep on doing this until the lure had traveled an imaginary 8 to 10 feet, then reel in and cast to another likely spot. Often, I use a sidearm skipping cast to wake them up. In shallows, I usually skip the skip.

A variation presentation.....cast to a likely spot sidearm skipping....let fall to bottom, let rest for 30 seconds, lift slowly two feet off bottom to feel for fish, if nothing on, tremor the bait one time and let re-fall. A tremor is made by quickly gripping the rod handle without trying to move the rod tip intentionally....just a sudden grip....it will tremor the bait before re-falling. For some reason, watermelon/red works the best of the colors offered in the speedworm line.

I call the tail less speedworm a zoomie. Zoomies cast like a bullet, skip well under dock, log and rock, and when one end becomes hook worn, rig it in the other end. They can be made weedless by rigging, then pinching the skin and slipping a little over the point. When both ends are frayed, save them for wacky rigging.

You have to become a line watcher, in addition, rest the line over your index finger to improve feel.

In reeds, just fish very slowly and most often the body will hit and pivot around the reeds.

In weedbeds, cast to open pockets, points or inlets and let fall. If it doesn't fall very far, after waiting some few seconds, lift slowly to dislodge it from the hangup and usually you can feel it when it hits another weed, then let it fall again....bump and fall, bump and fall....before too long it will work it's way down into the weeds and when down far enough, will attract most bass in the area.

When in lily pads, switch to a zoom lizard, I like the 5 inch size myself and fish slowly with rod tip up....let it fall in any openings, wait 15 to 20 seconds or so, tremor it twice, and then move on. It will come up on the edge of a pad and crawl over as long as you move it slowly.

Back to the zoomie....if it's a windy day and you are drift fishing and the zoomie isn't getting down to or near the bottom due to the speed of the drift, rig it with a Charlie Brewer 1/16 ounce Snagless Slider hook....not the heavy wire Pro model, but the regular Snagless Slider.

The zoomie looks like a lot of soft plastic stickbaits being offered today, but the great thing about it is that it has no internal salt or sand to weight it down on the fall. It falls more slowly, giving the bass more time to see and pursue it. It takes getting used to, fishing so slowly, but the payoff can be big.

You may like to use a faster searchbait to generally find the fish, but I'd recommend you give the zoomies a try, a patient try, once you find the fish.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-08, 01:36 PM   #3
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

^^^ It works! Listen to him.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-08, 04:54 PM   #4
Mac2

Thanks Bender.....muchly appreciated!!!
Old 12-10-08, 09:01 PM   #5
Marty

The Ultra-Vibe version is excellent used topwater like a buzzbait. It can also be used underwater much like worms of other styles. I have never used the paddle tail type.

The "Zoomie" will work, I've used it, but the Ultra-Vibe with tail cut off. With all due respect to my old buddy Mac, the color doesn't have to be watermelon/red. There is a wide variety of colors that work very well.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-08, 09:12 PM   #6
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Why cut the tail off, when you can buy stickbaits without a tail (Senko, Tiki-stick, Dinger, etc...)??

Just wondering

BB
Old 12-11-08, 10:59 PM   #7
Jackl

DANIEL,
another way to fish the Speed Worm (watermelon/red) is to start at the front edge of the tail, right next to the body of the worm and cut a angled slit to the exact center of the tail. Then dip the worm tail in "Spike-it" chartreuse dye. Fish this on an 1/8 oz.worm weight and after letting it hit bottom, work it very very slowly across the bottom. The slit in the tail will cause it to undulate back and forth in the water as you are working it. I have caught a bunch of fish with this method, with the biggest being 5lb 8oz on Alan Henry res. in Texas.
JackL
Old 12-13-08, 11:10 AM   #8
danielbasspro

thanks guys it helped a lot.
Old 12-13-08, 07:07 PM   #9
BassinBrits
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackl View Post
DANIEL,
another way to fish the Speed Worm (watermelon/red) is to start at the front edge of the tail, right next to the body of the worm and cut a angled slit to the exact center of the tail. Then dip the worm tail in "Spike-it" chartreuse dye. Fish this on an 1/8 oz.worm weight and after letting it hit bottom, work it very very slowly across the bottom. The slit in the tail will cause it to undulate back and forth in the water as you are working it. I have caught a bunch of fish with this method, with the biggest being 5lb 8oz on Alan Henry res. in Texas.
JackL
Sounds great but I don't quite understand where to cut the angled slit. I'm only a stupid Brit

Any chance of a photo or a diagram?
Old 12-19-08, 09:13 AM   #10
Mac2

Big Bassin, the zoomies (speedworms) are 15 to a pack and usually, not always, but usually are cheaper. Lately the prices on soft plastics have climbed, but still cheaper than some of the sticks. Just have to look and compare.
Old 12-19-08, 09:17 AM   #11
Mac2

Marty, about the color.....just have personally had much better results with the watermelon/red and that's of course dependant upon the conditions at the time I was fishing them. Overall, it's still my best color, but am sure some others will work as well like you say.... If you wouldn't mind sharing, what colors have you found in your fishing that work well? Thanks, Mac
Old 12-19-08, 09:53 AM   #12
hookup
BassFishin.Com Member

Good stuff Mac. And thanx for the surprise package.

Clipping the tails make the speed work look like a 69c senko. I'm not sure of the zoom's prices, but when the fish are on stix baits, these look like a winner.

I'm new to the zoom speed work, but other stixbait colors that work for me green pumpkin w/ red or purple flakes, smoke, smoke w/ green flake, pumpkin with green flake, smoke with junebug flake, bubblegum, white, pearl and solid black.
hookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-08, 10:57 AM   #13
Mac2

Howdy Hookup, thanks for your input. I think I paid 4.29 at bass pro the other day....15 to a pack makes them come out to 28.6 cents per zoomie, excluding the sales tax. One of the fellows on this board commented he used them with the tail until it pulled off and then just kept on using it as a slow fall deadsticker after that. Thanks for your in put on color, made a list. Good Fishing, Mac

Last edited by Mac2; 12-19-08 at 10:58 AM. Reason: correction
Old 12-20-08, 02:02 PM   #14
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Are you using the Zoom Speed Stick with the tail cut off instead of a 4 inch Senko or a Yumdinger (My personal favorite) because they come 15 to a pack, or is the wieghtless action better then the traditional stickbaits I mentioned?
Old 12-20-08, 06:38 PM   #15
danielbasspro

i have been using the u-vibe speed worms made by zoom
Old 12-21-08, 09:32 AM   #16
Mac2

Joel, I'm not an expert, but have had great results with the zoomie. It looks like a Senko, but has no internal salt and falls much slower on the weightless presentation...giving the bass more time on the way down for observation. You can use either the body of the ultravibe zoom speedworm or the regular paddle tail speedworm... either one will work well.
Old 12-21-08, 10:19 AM   #17
crankybait

Listen to Mac... It works. It was the first technique that i started consistently catching fish on
Old 12-21-08, 07:12 PM   #18
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Sounds like another option I'm going to have to try out. Might just be a great alternate for working a weightless plastic over the top of weeds, as well as letting them fall slowing into the weed holes.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.