Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-11, 05:48 PM   #1
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default I love seein people make fun of Favre...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POyFvDgV2cU
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-11, 06:03 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I seen that the other day. It's funny but Brett Favre will still go down as one of the best quarterbacks in history and rightfully so. Aside from the off the field drama and the will I retire or will I come back drama, he was still a lot of fun to watch and was great for football.
Old 01-22-11, 07:20 PM   #3
keithdog

Thats pretty darn funny stuff. But I agree with C-Rig, he's one of the greatest to play the game. But his off the field antics just cries oout for vids like this one.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-11, 08:16 PM   #4
bcklash

OH The drama queen. I don't care for him, I do think that he will go into the HOF. But he's never been the #1 QB at any one point in his career. Elway, Montana, Manning, Brady, Young and even Warner just to name a few were better than Brett boy. But he showed up to play every week and play to win I do like that.

That video is fuuny!!!!
Old 01-22-11, 10:03 PM   #5
bamabassman

he is in the HOF. but like most everybody else......he is no different than any other "star". too big (well really little, lol) headed (meaning he THINKS he is) fer his wranglers i think.
Old 01-23-11, 10:59 AM   #6
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
OH The drama queen. I don't care for him, I do think that he will go into the HOF. But he's never been the #1 QB at any one point in his career. Elway, Montana, Manning, Brady, Young and even Warner just to name a few were better than Brett boy. But he showed up to play every week and play to win I do like that.

That video is fuuny!!!!
Oh please...the only one on your list that can hold a candle to Favre is Montana. Of course everyone has their opinion.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11, 12:37 PM   #7
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by camg View Post
oh please...the only one on your list that can hold a candle to favre is montana. Of course everyone has their opinion. :d
wow.........
Old 01-23-11, 01:49 PM   #8
bamabassman

lol, well i can think of a LOT of other qb's besidesmontana,elway,manning and brady that were as good if not better than farve. numbers do not make a qb. LEADERSHIP does. at least in my opion.
Old 01-23-11, 02:02 PM   #9
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
lol, well i can think of a LOT of other qb's besidesmontana,elway,manning and brady that were as good if not better than farve. numbers do not make a qb. LEADERSHIP does. at least in my opion.
Exactly what makes Favre the best quarterback EVER!
Old 01-23-11, 02:03 PM   #10
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
wow.........
Wow is right...every single time I watched him, that's exactly what I said! Glad you and I see him in the same light.
Old 01-23-11, 02:17 PM   #11
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
Wow is right...every single time I watched him, that's exactly what I said! Glad you and I see him in the same light.
The only time I said wow in Farves case is when he laid down so Strahan could break the sack record when his lineman vowed not to let it happen.

I do think he was a better football player than the others I named, just not a better QB.
Old 01-23-11, 02:20 PM   #12
walkeraviator

I put Brett Favre as a top ten all time QB. But do agree that Montana, Staubach, Marino, Young, Brady, Bradshaw are all quareterbacks that are better than Favre. Not based on numbers obviously as i named a QB with zero super bowl titles, but as a whole package these guys top my list. They are top notch leaders on and off teh field. Good role models for kids. And most of them have knockout numbers. If Brett Favre had retired 3 years ago he would be in the top 5 QB's of all time, but he has tarnished his reputation with all the drama.

And remember... completions are always more awesome when you force em through triple coverage.
Old 01-23-11, 02:56 PM   #13
bcklash

Johnny Unitas might be the best of all time
Old 01-23-11, 03:32 PM   #14
bamabassman

THERE YOU GO RON. i always hated the colts, still do, but ol johnnie was a TRUE general on the feild. then there are others before him, joe namath is another. joe theisman (HATE THE REDSKINS TOO!), sammy baugh, archie manning, roman grabriel, you get the picture.
Old 01-23-11, 04:46 PM   #15
lilmule

Brett who?
Any professional should conduct themselves in a professional manner,thus why I can no longer remember the name of a pro golfer as well.
Who cares how well they play its how they play.
If they act like an a** then that is what they are, not a good player.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11, 04:57 PM   #16
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Brett who?
Any professional should conduct themselves in a professional manner,thus why I can no longer remember the name of a pro golfer as well.
Who cares how well they play its how they play.
If they act like an a** then that is what they are, not a good player.
I think I follow your train of thought. And I agree that these guys should be held to a higher standard for their conduct. But I don't think you can say the guy wasn't a good player because of what he did off the field. Not a good role model? I could agree with that, but he didn't lose any physical ability because he made some stupid mistakes off the field. He was still a great leader and a good quarterback, he didn't lose that because he made an idiot out of himself off the field.
Old 01-23-11, 07:01 PM   #17
cassidyta

I personally think that the higher standard is where society has added the PC syndrome to sports.
Lets look at Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth. Both are considered HoF baseball players. Deep down both were not good people. Cobb was a dirty playing racist and Ruth did things that would make the Favre incident appear rated G.
I am not saying that I condone anything that Favre did, however, I also don't expect any athlete to be a role model to my children.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am also one of the guys who wants to see Pete Rose at Cooperstown.
Old 01-23-11, 07:18 PM   #18
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
I personally think that the higher standard is where society has added the PC syndrome to sports.
Lets look at Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth. Both are considered HoF baseball players. Deep down both were not good people. Cobb was a dirty playing racist and Ruth did things that would make the Favre incident appear rated G.
I am not saying that I condone anything that Favre did, however, I also don't expect any athlete to be a role model to my children.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am also one of the guys who wants to see Pete Rose at Cooperstown.
I see what you are saying and I agree. But I think that it's normal for kids to look at high profile athletes as role models. It's something that is inherited with the fame and fortune. I'm not saying that these athletes asked to be role models, but they are role models none the less and I think if you are going to make as much money in one season as most people would love to make in their entire life then keeping your nose out of trouble in return shouldn't be asking too much. The other side of the sword is that as parents I think we need to do everything we can to guide our kids in a way that helps them pick positive role models.

I also believe that Pete Rose should be in Cooperstown. He made a huge mistake nodoubt, however not that it makes it right but he was betting on his team to win not betting that they would lose and creating doubt of whether he was throwing the game. Also if he goes into Cooperstown someday it will be as a player not as a coach, and the betting happened when he was a coach and I belive spineless Selig should seperate the two chapters of Roses career. Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread and turn it into a baseball thread, back to football now. The video is funny and Favre had it coming, still doesn't change the player he was though.
Old 01-23-11, 07:56 PM   #19
bcklash

Very well said Kory. I think Pete Rose not in the HOF is one of worst things in sports.
Old 01-23-11, 08:22 PM   #20
nofearengineer

I disagree on Pete Rose. I don't hate the man, and on the basis of his numbers, he OBVIOUSLY would be in the HOF. However, the fact is...he was banned from baseball for breaking a MLB rule, not being a bad guy, like Cobb or Ruth were.

That said, I find it utterly depressing to see him not make the HOF. Sad that he made such poor choices...choices that triggered Giamatti to ban him. Pete Rose basically killed A. Bartlett Giamatti, as the man was probably the biggest baseball lover there was, and presiding over the Rose incident just stressed him into having that heart attack.

Back to Favre. Like Rose, he's one of the game's greats, but apparently has such impulse control problems that he sends pics of his junk to people. WTFH is wrong with people? Favre deserves what he gets on this one. I was a die-hard Marino fan, and it really sucks that one of the true gentlemen of the game never got a Super Bowl ring like Mr. Junk Favre.
Old 01-24-11, 07:57 PM   #21
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I disagree on Pete Rose. I don't hate the man, and on the basis of his numbers, he OBVIOUSLY would be in the HOF. However, the fact is...he was banned from baseball for breaking a MLB rule, not being a bad guy, like Cobb or Ruth were.
I agree with nofear on this one. It's too bad he's not in the HOF, but I don't think Rose belongs there. He broke a rule that had a very specific punishment (lifetime ban) attached to it, so it's not like it was a mystery as to what the consequences would be if you broke that rule. Plus, he lied about it for a LONG time before finally admitting to gambling on baseball. I enjoyed watching him play when I was a kid growing up, but it's his own fault he's not in Cooperstown.

As far as Favre goes, I've never been a fan of his, even after he joined 'my' Vikings. But I still would disagree with bcklash's assertion that he was "never the #1 QB at any one point in his career". From '95-'97 when he took his team to back-to-back Super Bowls, winning one of them, and was the NFL AP MVP for three straight years, I think he was the best QB out there.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 09:37 PM   #22
bcklash

Pete Rose should be in the HOF has a player. Banned has a manager.
Old 01-25-11, 02:51 PM   #23
walkeraviator

My only issue with the Pete Rose thing is that they did tell him that his ban would be lifted if he admitted and appologized for his actions. He kept up his end of the Bargain and the HOF committee is balking on their end. I dont think he should be in teh HOF, but if someone makes a deal like that, then they should stand by their word.
Old 01-25-11, 07:06 PM   #24
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
My only issue with the Pete Rose thing is that they did tell him that his ban would be lifted if he admitted and appologized for his actions. He kept up his end of the Bargain and the HOF committee is balking on their end. I dont think he should be in teh HOF, but if someone makes a deal like that, then they should stand by their word.
I hear what your saying bud. But the problem as I see it is that it took a couple decades before Pete appoligized. That being said, I think he's one of the games greatest ball players. He always put 110% into every game he played. And his contributions to a championship team are proof to this. I never liked the man while he was playing because I'm a Cardinals fan and he gave the cards fits, lol But I always respected him untill the betting thing came up. Had he admitted and appoligized imediately I think all would have been forgotten by now. But his arrogance over so many years pretty much black listed the guy. Too bad too, because he was a player deserving of the HOF.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-11, 08:30 PM   #25
Tavery5

Pete Rose has always been one of my favorite athletes. He is one of the greatest baseball players to ever step on the field. In my opinion the HOF is a place to honor people like Pete Rose for their sports related accomplishments. There are many other awards for fantastic people. It would be funny to see someone denied the Nobel Peace Prize because they only batted .116 on their little league baseball team. Don't confuse the two, HOF is for great athletes not great people.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.