Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-29-04, 01:08 PM   #1
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181
Default What can you add???? Bank Fishing...HELP NEEDED...

It's good to apply sunscreen and bug lotion before getting to the bank, hand and arm movements can spook the fish.

A nail apron, sprayed green or camo, carries tackle, drinks and sandwich well. Â*No tackle box to swing, no bending down to set it down and raising up again....possible spooking fish.

Cast to the shallows near the bank first before fancasting in a spot.

When moving spots, walk away from the water, then parallel to the bank, when ready return to the water's edge.....spooking less fish.

mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-04, 01:09 PM   #2
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Default WRe: What can you add???? Bank Fishing...

When changing spots along a brushy or weedy bank, wrap the line from rod tip to hook or lure a couple of times around the rod after securing lure.......no line hanging down to snag on bushes and weeds.
Old 01-29-04, 01:52 PM   #3
cowboy45
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to cowboy45
Default Re: What can you add???? Bank Fishing...

get some quality waders...it can make all the difference...good fishing
cowboy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-04, 03:07 PM   #4
LEVI
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to LEVI

I am with Mac on the Camo deal, invest in a couple of shirts and paints in whatever camo pattern suits your area. I am a fan of the hardwoods pattern since where I fish is surrounded by dense dark woods. Also if not wearing camo where whites, greens, and light blues to match the sky, might avoid being seen by fish. #1 always have a set of needle nose pliers for easy release of fish, killing fish sure can kill the day if you don't plan on eating them.

Kybasser
LEVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-04, 06:46 PM   #5
bassbum
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassbum

What about throwing your line parallel with the bank line, that seems to work @ x's.
Sandra
bassbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-04, 07:21 PM   #6
dave47
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to dave47

How about making a 40' cast to the water before you even get to the bank. That way you won't spook those fish that are next to the bank you are approaching. One of the most productive casts, in my warm, Floridian experience ;D

Senior
dave47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-04, 07:59 PM   #7
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

This is a grand start....hope there's more....
Old 01-29-04, 09:33 PM   #8

If you don't have visible cover or structure to target, and no history of productive spots at that body of water, don't spend too much time in one spot. Keep moving and cover as much water as you can.
Old 01-29-04, 11:41 PM   #9
bassbum
BassFishin.Com Member

Cast into shaded areas, willow trees are good for dropping bugs into water so fish tend to hang out there, i think anyway
Sandra
Old 01-29-04, 11:47 PM   #10
juicy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to juicy

Buy a boat! j/k lol. I always look for a point, either on shore or while looking in the water ,good polarized glasses are key. They can be dynamite spots, especially the ones you can't really notice from the shoreline.
juicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-04, 08:30 AM   #11
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=chug_bug link=board=news;num=1075392491;start=0#2 date=01/29/04 at 11:52:33]get some quality waders...it can make all the difference...good fishing[/quote]

This will help, plus a lot of the other posts are good also. If it's permitted, take a small saw with you, so when you find a good looking spot you can clear a few branches(not the whole tree) out of the way so you can cast well.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-04, 11:58 AM   #12
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Wear a wide brimmed hat....

1. protection from the sun

2. often will brush aside branches when walking through

3 a good place for bug spray instead of directly on your skin

Old 01-30-04, 11:59 AM   #13
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Carry a couple wet wipes and a little paper towel to clean you hands after bug spray......eats your handles if gotten on the reels.
Old 01-30-04, 12:04 PM   #14
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Whether in boat or banking.....around three in the heat of the afternoon, a V8 Juice takes the edge off hunger and helps to replace salt....... Works well in traveling also to stop, have a V8 with a few crackers.

Carry a few small baits for bluegill, bream....along with a small float to give enough weight if the bass aren't hitting.

A small towel, soaked in the water feels good on face and draped over the back of the neck.
Old 01-30-04, 12:14 PM   #15
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Make an effort to talk with people when fishing.....Sometimes you will learn a lot from listening.
Even if they visit with non fishing topics, it's good for mental health.....and often they have a lot to share.

My favorite place is the ramps....if a fellow has had a good day, he may be enthused about the subject of fishing and seems to be just waiting to share ideas. Sometimes you just enjoy their enjoyment.

I met one fellow fishing for carp......a young fellow, maybe in late twenties....had landed and weighed a twelve pounder on 4 lb test with an ultralite line.
By the time I got there, he'd given the fish to the fellow sitting in the aluminum framed lawn chair. After telling me and showing me the fish on the stringer and bursting with evident pride, he went off to find someone else to show and tell.....the elderly gentleman got up to get another worm from his wife and the chair took off. The young man came back and momentarily looked as if tears were forming....

Old 01-30-04, 01:25 PM   #16
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

Someone just hit or carrying a towel or something to wipe your face off when it's hot. I started going the next step a few years ago, and started to carry a clean shirt, a toothbrush and toothpaste, and a wash cloth and soap with me, especially during the really hot summer. You'd be amazed how much better you'll feel if you can clean up and get some of the sweat off and the "crud" that builds up on your teeth in a day of fishing. A clean dry shirt will make you feel human again
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-04, 03:26 PM   #17
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Good suggestions, Cajun.....on a similar note, when travelling, I carry a toothbrush in the car for that same purpose....it is amazing, like you say.

Good fishing, Mac
Old 01-30-04, 10:05 PM   #18

[quote author=lizardsrule link=board=news;num=1075392491;start=0#10 date=01/30/04 at 06:30:43]If it's permitted, take a small saw with you, so when you find a good looking spot you can clear a few branches(not the whole tree) out of the way so you can cast well.[/quote]
Lizards, I fish four places frequently, and I do some trimming at three of them. Usually I don't do it while fishing, but at a separate time. Tools of choice are hedge clippers and lopping shears. If I didn't do this trimming, things would get so overgrown that ability to fish would be seriously compromised.

Sometimes I carry a small pruning shears while I actually fish. I keep all these tools in the trunk all summer long. As to if it's permitted, well, I don't want to know, so I don't ask.
Old 01-31-04, 09:05 AM   #19
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=Marty link=board=news;num=1075392491;start=0#17 date=01/30/04 at 20:05:49]
Lizards, I fish four places frequently, and I do some trimming at three of them. Usually I don't do it while fishing, but at a separate time. Tools of choice are hedge clippers and lopping shears. If I didn't do this trimming, things would get so overgrown that ability to fish would be seriously compromised.

Sometimes I carry a small pruning shears while I actually fish. I keep all these tools in the trunk all summer long. As to if it's permitted, well, I don't want to know, so I don't ask.
[/quote]

Your suggestions were better than mine, it's really been awhile since I've done a lot of shore fishing, and when I do it's around small ponds.

Lizards

I wouldn't ask either
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-04, 09:20 AM   #20
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Film canisters are great for carrying sinkers, worm weights, hooks, etc but be sure to mark the top gray lid with permanent marker identifying the contents.

Pill Bottles work well for carrying hard baits.....the amber see through type is my favorite......also keeps them dry and away from the salt on worms, tubes, etc.

Put your baggies of salted lures always in a separate compartment of the nail apron....Using an extra plastic bag as a compartment liner is also a good idea.
Old 02-02-04, 12:08 PM   #21
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

If smallmouth are in your waters, and should you be using crickets.......the locals suggest strongly Â*that in Tennessee the brown crickets work much better for smallies. Â*In addition, the smallie, they inform me, likes everything to look natural.....if you are bobber fishing for example, use a small branched stick as a bobber,or use a pencil bobber sprayed camo brown, don't use shiny hooks, keep the sinker up a couple of feet from the cricket....

Also, if while fishing, you catch your own creek minnows with a seine.......go upstream when you spot minnows, muddy up the water with bank dirt....making a cloud of muddy water....when the cloud comes downstream over the minnows, then wade in with the seine....they won't know which way to go....
Old 02-02-04, 12:14 PM   #22
bassbum
BassFishin.Com Member

Also,

Reeling the lure all the way to the bank. I love it when i see the little fishy following it up to the bank.
Sandra
Old 02-03-04, 09:48 AM   #23
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Try to walk softly on your approaches to the water....vibrations.
Old 02-03-04, 09:53 AM   #24
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Default ..Re: What can you add???? Bank Fishing...

After casting first along the bank, and beginning your fan casting......some folks make short to medium distance fan casts and save the long ones for a second round.

When moving to a new spot on uncharted waters, try to go a distance that will allow for a little overlapping on the area covered by your last casting. Â*This picks up on sweet spots you may have "just missed" that may be relatively shallow. Â*The submerged clump of weeds, the underwater stump, a ledge, etc. Â*

Old 02-03-04, 07:10 PM   #25
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Reel "faces" on spinning and spincasting outfits can reflect the sun and " flash" into the water. Â*I've camoflaged Zebco 33's and open faced reels with a lot of metal showing with camo tape, and sometimes with just green duct tape.

If you use rod holders, or forked branches to hold rods while bank fishing, try twisting them into the bank rather than pounding them in with a rock......again, the vibes.....

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.