Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bass Classifieds

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-06, 07:44 PM   #1
shawngo
BassFishin.Com Member

Lightbulb Google Maps + Fishing Spots

Hello everyone..

I was wondering if anyone is willing to give some feedback on this idea that I had. I put a site together combining Google maps and fishing spots. I made this and didn't really do anything with it and felt like seeing if anybody thought this would be cool or useful.

http://www.shawngo.com/hotspots.php

Please don't consider this spamming or blatant disregard to the forum rules. I saw this forum and thought this would be a perfect complement! The service is and always will be free.

Basically you locate a fishing spot on the map (not the exact location of your favorite hole per se) or locate via GPS coords, address, or country and just add some details about it.

I have also added the ability to export the database information into Google Earth, which is really cool!

Check it out.. maybe it could catch on... or is there something out there similar? It would be easy to make changes, add-ons etc.

Ok, enough rambling, check it out and have fun! Oh, btw, how did i get stuck in the Classifieds section?

Thanks,
Shawn

Last edited by shawngo; 03-28-06 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-28-06, 08:00 PM   #2
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

i thought about that same thing but wasn't sure if the technology was there for it yet..sounds great..if i understand this, i can mark my lakes and everyone else can check them out?is that how it works?
if it is ...count me in,i'll be there.
Old 03-28-06, 08:11 PM   #3
shawngo
BassFishin.Com Member

Thumbs up Google Earth functionality

Yup. That's all there is to it. A lot of people forget to enter the country the location is in. You have to select the type of post (I should change this ) and fill in some details.

I've received some pretty good feedback about the site. Some of it sort of critical. People not wanting to give up the precise location of their fishin holes. But that's not really what I was aiming at. Just a general reference.

I have also written a script to convert the data into the Google Earth format. Google Earth is free and is one of the neatest things I've seen!

You can actually go inside the Grand Canyon with amazing resolution!

Ok, enough of me promoting Google!

Any feedback is great! Thanks,
Shawn
Old 03-28-06, 09:34 PM   #4
bass kicker

welcome to the forum and that sounds like a great idea
Old 03-29-06, 04:42 PM   #5
flbassman

I tried it and entered a spot. Only problem is, I couldn't click on my post, and Google Earth didn't work.
Old 03-31-06, 08:36 AM   #6
shawngo
BassFishin.Com Member

Lightbulb Suggestions for improvement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flbassman
I tried it and entered a spot. Only problem is, I couldn't click on my post, and Google Earth didn't work.
The link should work. You may have to right cick and save as... making sure the file extension is .kml.
http://www.shawngo.com/generator.php
GPS Tagging seems to be the next big buzzword in this all_to_do_well web2.0 hype. GPS Tagging essentially means attaching geographical information (long,lat,alt,etc) to a given media type, for instance images, and then mapping that media. Flickr and others have done this rather successfully and it is really hitting home.

I have done something similar with this interactive map. I have added the capability to add images, links, comments, and soon to add a few more bells and whistles. I also have the ability to overlay topographical maps for a given area. There is geographical data for nearly every body of water (with some exceptions) in the United States. With that said, it is possible, given a specific region (due to the size of the database), to create an incredibly interactive mapping system. A few drawbacks from the current Google Maps implementation is that the map resolution hasn't caught up in less populated areas. I now have the data from the HotSpots page deliverable in KML format, which is what Google Earth uses to define locations. Google Earth is probably about the coolest free geo utility I've seen. It does some amazing things and there is a terrific community of developers coming up with new ideas.

What I would really like to do next is focus on a particular region as sort of a test subject by pooling together (pardon the pun) the lake/river/etc data and combining it with user input. Aside from catching fish whilst perusing the site, the possibilities are near endless. The ability exists to keep certain data private from normal access which means that a group of individuals could create their own private map system. Does this sound like fun or what?

I'm running a poll at http:/www.shawngo.com/hotspots.php and was curious if anyone had any more input of what they think would make this application really useful.

Thanks again,
Shawn
Old 03-31-06, 08:36 PM   #7
shawngo
BassFishin.Com Member

The above url is wrong..
http://www.shawngo.com/hotspots.php for the old page...

Take a sneak peek at the new full screen design of the Fishing Hotspots page!!

http://www.shawngo.com/gmaps/

It is still under construction so if you find any bugs/glitches please let me know.

Thanks again,
Shawn
Old 04-01-06, 09:52 PM   #8
drums
BassFishin.Com Member

Default right on

Shawn - nice work on the mashup, good stuff. I do have a few comments/questions...

1) The descriptions in the hotspots bubbles on the map look kinda funky where they break/wrap to a new line (with the dashes). I assume you're parsing the text to add the hyphens (and that's pretty cool) but IMHO it makes them harder to read. I'm using Safari 2.0.3. I can provide screenshots of what I'm seeing, if you want.

2) I dig your KML generator script - nice, clean, well-commented code.

3) Just out of curiousity, why did you spin your own MySQL utility class?

Anywho, rock on, keep up the good work!

Cheers
-Rich
Old 04-02-06, 03:49 AM   #9
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by drums
Shawn - nice work on the mashup, good stuff. I do have a few comments/questions...

1) The descriptions in the hotspots bubbles on the map look kinda funky where they break/wrap to a new line (with the dashes). I assume you're parsing the text to add the hyphens (and that's pretty cool) but IMHO it makes them harder to read. I'm using Safari 2.0.3. I can provide screenshots of what I'm seeing, if you want.

2) I dig your KML generator script - nice, clean, well-commented code.

3) Just out of curiousity, why did you spin your own MySQL utility class?

Anywho, rock on, keep up the good work!

Cheers
-Rich

What the he!! do you just say rotfl.

I guess I'm more puter illiterate than I thought

Lizards
Old 04-02-06, 11:20 PM   #10
drums
BassFishin.Com Member

LOL - my bad dude. I guess I got carried away being a geek.
Old 04-04-06, 12:35 AM   #11
shawngo
BassFishin.Com Member

Lightbulb google maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by drums
LOL - my bad dude. I guess I got carried away being a geek.
No, this is exactly the sort of feedback I need. Both from the super technically inclined as well as the computer illiterate, if i may say

I really want to cover all aspects to make this site easy to navigate. In version 2.0 the map is nearly full screen and all the windows are preloaded into the navigation menu on top.

I did this because I thought the first page was too lengthy. Everything from version 1 is in 2, it just looks way cooler!

I'm planning on adding group/private access, so stay tuned.

let me know what you think!

thanks,
Shawn
Closed Thread

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.