Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-06, 08:29 PM   #26
Dyas
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Dyas

nope not really just the heavy stuff like big campers an things like that weigh it down a bit but it pulles a boat juuuuuuuuusssssssstttttttt fine
Old 08-22-06, 04:34 PM   #27
bassnman30

Bassintom,
Yea mine had the cowl induction hood, L 60 tires on the back with G 60's on the front. The transmission came from a dragster (a beefed up 400 turbo that would jerk your head back).
The engine was built with 30 over cam, holly 750 carb,on a Hildebrant manifold. Heads were ported and polished, 411 rear end. Left black marks 105 ft long once during a drag race down "Teeter bridge road" In Mt. Pleasant, NC.
But that was then and this is now !
Old 08-22-06, 04:49 PM   #28
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

bassman,
I used to was those same chevelle's when I worked at a Sunoco Gas station and would get to drive them around the lot when I was 16..they sure were nice cars, the locals here had the green with black stripes, and almost the exact same set up you mentioned..I had a mach 1 1969 but it never had the power those chevelles had..I knew another guy that had a 66 chevelle with a 396, man it ran hot n fast!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-06, 06:41 PM   #29
zooker

sweetest ride -i will have to find a picture-70 ford stang mach 2 with a super charged 429.

best chick catching machine.. easy 91 susuki x-90 4x4...think fiat on a side kick frame..

rarest would be my 2000 ranger they only painted 30 ford rangers in this color in 2000

the starngest ride i ever had well ok you asked for it.. i have keep it chained up poeple kept trying to steal it..

zooker
Old 08-22-06, 09:53 PM   #30
Vabass22

You're kidding right? I can see stevo trying to take a sh!t in that thing!
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-06, 10:37 PM   #31
Dyas

Send a message via AIM to Dyas

LMFAO!!!!! dude..... wtf??? hahahaha.......... i gotta get me one of them
Old 08-23-06, 03:50 PM   #32
flbassman

That a flat coat in the back of that truck? Or a chesapeake? Don't look like any lab I've ever seen...
Old 08-23-06, 04:04 PM   #33
ROBZILLA

I never knew you were in to black girls Zook! (Ijust had to do it!)

Can only bite my lip so many times.
Old 08-23-06, 07:08 PM   #34
zooker

thats the old man "buck".. a blue blood lab.. he is 14 years old and has never slicked down like they are supose to.. i have no idea why.. i had both his mother and father both pure breeds.. he is a pure breed fluke.. 1 in 5000 labs don't slick down..

fl
i think when they were trying to breed a new kind of dog- to make a lab- they used a chessie. every now and again this"wooley" blood strain shows up..

zooker
Old 08-23-06, 08:09 PM   #35
flbassman

That's pretty cool. I've got a lab and a golden, and the lab can outfetch the golden every time. We used to hit tennis balls past the surf at the beach for her with a regular bat, maybe 100 yards out, and she'd bring 'em in all day.
Old 08-24-06, 10:50 AM   #36
Vabass22

My bulldog will wade out 2 feet if I'm lucky lol.
Old 08-24-06, 06:23 PM   #37
zooker

the old man. i tend not to use him to water retrive in cold water. -i have 2 black labs- he loves to field hunt.-read that he loves sitting in a warm pit blind while being fed nibblets of what ever is advailable..-training a lab is half the fun..

va
old water fowler saying -which i find very true-you can lead a lab to water but you can't keep him out of it..

zooker
Old 08-24-06, 06:40 PM   #38
JB

zooker,
as you've heard by the barkin' at my house, we raise a lot of critters, we have 2 labs right now, cleveland is a choc and hudson is yellow, and man I think they were born to be in the water, at 2 months they play in it non stop here, I worry the little one will dive into our garden pond, but I 'reckon he can climb the flagstone rock around the edges to get out.
Old 08-24-06, 07:23 PM   #39
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
we have 2 labs right now, cleveland is a choc and hudson is yellow
only a very sick man names a dog after citys..

wait till they hit the 5-6 month stage you will think you have goats they will chew every thing..

zooker
Old 08-24-06, 10:05 PM   #40
Vabass22

They sure will! I have had two labs, the first being a female, we raised a litter of 12 of her pups, one dying at 4 days old. We ended up giving her away, as she turned a year later, and became mean. We kept one of her pups though, and after two years, he got stolen out of our back yard. We were mad as piss. Then we got (what we thought was) a house dog, an olde english bulldog, she turned out to be 95 lbs of solid muscle, but a great dog.
Old 08-25-06, 02:16 PM   #41
JB

zooker,
one of the dogs ya probably have heard on the phone barking is good ol
"duke' .....ya think your dog is unusal , check out duke...
Old 08-25-06, 02:31 PM   #42
FlyRod

Wink

Hello? 911 operator? I wanna report a hijacked thread

It looks like fun though. Lemme see if I can hijack it from the hijackers.
(Thinkitythinkitythinkity...) Oh yeah, I got it.
Dalmations are associated with firetrucks n' stuff. Speaking of fires, this one time at Band Camp some of we Senior trumpeters started a mattress fire on the balcony and the Band Director was really pizzed(<Picture of Band Director, 'cept he had more hair.) But it wasn't a really good mattress. I prefer a Sealy...how 'bout you guys

Discuss among yourselves.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 02:32 PM   #43
flbassman

Definitely one of them fancy swedish ones. Name escapes me right now...
Old 08-25-06, 02:40 PM   #44
FlyRod

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by flbassman View Post
Definitely one of them fancy swedish ones. Name escapes me right now...
(Yet another re-hijack)

Yew must mean the (SWEDISH) blonde from ABBA! She was hawt! But I prefer brunettes, preferably with lonnnnnng hair, on top, ennyweigh

This could become the longest thread in BF.C HISTORY!

That reminds me...ennywun here a HISTORY BUFF.. BUFF, BTW, is a neutral color or a COLORADO football player. Enny CU fans here?

And so it goes...

FR
Old 08-25-06, 02:55 PM   #45
flbassman

How's this for a combination of transportation, large, stupid animals, and history...Managed to get old Jeff Davis in too.....

Something seems just a little out of place here…
It’s hard to imagine the old west without images of the classic cowboy riding his horse off into the sunset. Yet, if things had gone differently, those old western movies would have had John Wayne riding into town on his camel. When the Lone Ranger was blurting out, “Hi-Yo Silver, away!”, he would have been referring to his two-humped friend. And Roy Rogers would have had a dromedary named Trigger.

To see what I am talking about, we must set our timepieces back to the first part of the nineteenth century. At this time, the United States was undergoing a great expansion in size and most of the land that it obtained in the southwest was desert. It was not a place for man, horses, or mules. Lack of water meant lack of life. Yet, the United States government was determined to explore this territory.

In 1836, Major George H. Crosman felt that he had the perfect solution. He proposed that the U.S. government purchase a bunch of camels. After all, what other animal was better suited for desert conditions? He was certain that this was the answer to their problem. Yet, like all good ideas, it fell on deaf ears. That was until Jefferson Davis, who was a Mississippi senator at the time, was told about the camel scheme. He regularly suggested the importation of camels to anyone that would listen, but, again, the idea went nowhere.

The tide began to change in 1852 when Davis was appointed as Secretary of War under President Franklin Pierce. Now he was in the position to recommend the purchase of the camels. It took him another three years, but eventually Davis got the idea approved. On March 3, 1855, the Congress appropriated $30,000 “to be expended under the direction of the War Department in the purchase and importation of camels and dromedaries to be employed for military purposes.” The U.S. Camel Corps was now officially in existence.

Now it was time to get some camels. There were none to be found in the United States, so Major Henry C. Wayne and Lieutenant David D. Porter were sent aboard the Navy ship Supply to the eastern Mediterranean to purchase some. Their knowledge of camels was minimal at best, so their first purchases were poor ones. Once they learned the ropes, they were able to obtain thirty-three of the animals at an average cost of $250 each. The camels were boarded on the ship for their three-month voyage across the sea.

From the moment the camels got on the ship, it was obvious that this plan was headed for failure. Knowing little about the care of camels, Wayne and Porter hired six Arabs and one Turk to make the journey to the United States. Just being born in one of these countries, however, does not make you a camel expert. Like the Americans sent to get the camels, these guys basically knew nothing. The Turkish man, who was hired as the veterinarian, had one treatment for everything that ailed these animals: he tickled their noses with a chameleon tail. Clearly, he was well studied in veterinary medicine!

The ship finally arrived in Indianola, Texas on May 14, 1856. One camel had died on the journey but two were born along the way, so the team was ahead by one. Within minutes of unloading, however, there were problems. First, just the sight of camel made the horses and mules go berserk. Second, they smelled really, really bad and no one wanted to deal with them.

After some fattening up, the camel team was placed at Camp Verde (near San Antonio, Texas) under the command of Lieutenant Edward F. Beale. We can be pretty certain that Beale, who had enlisted in the U.S. Navy at the age of fourteen, never dreamed he would be asked to lead a pack of dirty, smelly Army camels across the desert. Beale’s mission was quite clear. He was to survey a route from Fort Defiance in New Mexico to eastern California along a trail that would someday become the western portion of that road where you could get your kicks… on Route 66. Clearly, this involved the crossing of a lot of desert terrain. This sounds like a job for… Underdog! No, wait a second. He would die of thirst also. No, this sounds like a job for the super camels!

And off they went. At first, the camels struggled to keep up with the horse and mule teams. They may not have needed as much water, but boy, were the camels slow! However, as in that classic race of the tortoise and the hare, you should always bet on the slow guy. After a few days, the camels adapted to their new environment and left the others in the dust.

When Beale completed his official report and submitted it to Congress, it was clear that the camel experiment was a great success. By this time, John B. Floyd had replaced Jefferson Davis as Secretary of War and made the recommendation to Congress to import one thousand more camels. It looked as if the western spotlight on the horse was about to fade into history.

Whoa! Not so fast! Hold your horses!

Making a recommendation is one thing. Actually getting the money to do it was another. You see, the United States had a big, big problem at the time. The country was on the verge of a Civil War and the last thing Congress needed to deal with was a herd of camels.

Just in case you didn’t know, there was a Civil War. The two sides fought and fought and the United States eventually agreed to be purchased by AOL/Time Warner. (Well, maybe not.) During the war, Camp Verde, which was still home to the camels that did not journey with Beale to California, fell under Confederate control and played absolutely no part in the war. The camels were treated very poorly, mainly because they were misunderstood. If there is one thing that a camel demands, it is R-E-S-P-E-C-T. The camels basically treat you the way you treat them. Hit them with a stick and they will spit on you. Kick them and they will kick you back. It was not unusual for a camel to “accidentally” get loose and have to fare for itself in the desert. As a result, the camels got the reputation of dirty, nasty, and uncooperative animals. Few people had any use for these beasts.

When the war was over, Congress no longer had any interest in the camels. The railroad was expanding west, providing a much better means of transportation. The remaining camels were all auctioned off to the highest bidder, although interest was minimal. Many of these same camels were occasionally seen roaming the vast American desert as late as the beginning of the twentieth century. Unfortunately, the hatred against them was very high and many ranchers used the camels for target practice.

One of the Arabs originally hired for taking care of the camels, a man named Hadji Ali, whose name was Americanized as Hi Jolly, tried for many years to convince others how useful the animals could be. But even he had no success and was forced to let his camels go. Today a monument stands in Arizona in tribute to Hi Jolly and the U.S. Camel Corps.

And so ends the grand camel experiment. It’s hard to imagine how a plan that was so right could end up going so wrong.

Useless? Useful? I’ll leave that for you to decide.
Old 08-25-06, 02:59 PM   #46
JB

fly,
during ABBA;

a few years later and couple gazillion donuts later,
Click image for larger version

Name:	14b5eb08.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	736

I hear she can still hum the "National Anthem" in bed tho.....
Old 08-25-06, 03:05 PM   #47
FlyRod

[quote=flbassman;122418]How's this for a combination of transportation, large, stupid animals. [quote]

You mean this guy

http://content.answers.com/main/cont...x-JoeCamel.jpg

FR
Old 08-25-06, 07:26 PM   #48
Bender

Where is the rest of the camel JB, all I can see are the camel toes?
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 08:25 PM   #49
crankybait

well, I don't have a car, yet. but, assuming i can make it into an ivy league colledge (which i hope to do, by totally studying my @$$ of for the next 4 years), i have always wanted both or one of these... if i had to choose one, it would be a bentley.
rolls royce phantom- I would get the Oldest model (gotta roll old school) or the newest model, whichever is cheaper. the 2006 is first, second is 1930 (maybe too old for my taste)
http://www.siliconvalleyautogroup.co...72/photo_1.jpg
http://www.classiccarclub.org/images...ey-Nutting.jpg
Bentley continental GTC-
http://autoreview.belproject.com/med...-animation.jpg

I don't really understand insurance or monthly payments, but i bet they'd hurt... I'd have to turn into one hell of a doctor if i wanted one of those.
If those arent possible I would just get back down to earth and choose something reasonable (but why do that?)

I would start saving my money but i used it on fishing gear. Next year, when i get a job, I'm saving 50% of everything i make.
Old 08-25-06, 08:57 PM   #50
Vabass22

Cranky, if you can afford those, why not buy g loomis rods? Almost as expensive

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.