Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 08-26-12, 11:15 PM   #1
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Lets talk Spinnerbaits for a min...

What kind of a difference does a gold/bronze blade make to a nickel/silver blade? I'm assuming there a reason why you have this option on a spinnerbait, I just don't know why...

Is it even worth worrying about? Obviously blade type and size could effect the action of the bait, but does the color add "that much" to the bait.
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-12, 11:31 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

To be honest, most days I don't think it makes that much difference. I often make my spinnerbaits with one of each color. Thats my favorite blade color combo. I prefer the gold overall to silver, especially on cloudy days. On bright sunny days, silver sometimes out catches gold. But overall, if I were given just one color blade to use, it would be gold. It has excellent light reflective qualities and just seems to perform well most of the time.
Old 08-26-12, 11:47 PM   #3
USMCbassman

Thanks Keith!

I always find myself going after nickel colored blades. I've never really put a lot of stock into it, if I liked the color of the skirt I bought it.
Old 08-26-12, 11:49 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01

Like Keith mentioned, different colored blades have different reflecting abilities. If the sun is bright or the water is calm I lean more towards silver blades, if it's cloudy or the water is really choppy I will go with gold to get as much reflection as I can out of what little light I have to work with.
Old 08-27-12, 10:41 AM   #5
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Lately I've taken a liking to painted blades that match the skirt. Bluegill skirt/bluegill blades. Chartreuse-white skirt/chartreuse-white blades etc
Old 08-27-12, 06:33 PM   #6
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I prefer one of each, that way you're covered. LOL.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-12, 07:32 PM   #7
lilmule

Often on ky lake a combination of a silver blade and a gold trailer blade works better than two of each of the same.
Yes painted blades work fairly well,even watermelon,white is a good ohio river color yes blades.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-12, 08:00 PM   #8
USMCbassman

Dave I hear ya and I'm not afraid to make an investment, but holy crap that would add up really fast...LOL
Old 08-27-12, 08:33 PM   #9
bassboogieman

I have way too many spinnerbaits, not to mention chatterbaits, in my boat. I prefer the nickle blades in sun or clear water. Gold, for cloudy days and stained water. I'm not a big fan of painted blades, although I do have a couple for smallmouth, they do seem to hit them (for me anyway) better than the largemouth.

So now that we have you straighted out on the color you need to have the correct blade - willow leaf, Colorado, Indiana, Turtleback (Terminator) and combinations. Oh, and I almost for got - skirts. And, oh yeah, trailers. So if you're stocking a boat 4 or 5 gross should about do it. Then comes the hard part - selecting ONE to throw.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-12, 08:50 PM   #10
bamabassman

i like the big blade ot be silver and the little one gold. and i like the willow leafs better than spoons. i dunno why....maybe i need to change it so i can catch bigger dinks? lol!
Old 08-27-12, 08:54 PM   #11
Tavery5

I have been playing with these for a while, they are pricey but they look amazing in the water.

Old 08-27-12, 10:33 PM   #12
Jrob78

I looked at those Sebile's at Cabela's awhile back, they looked pretty sweet, definitely unique. I'm not a big spinnerbaiter though so I didn't buy one.

I also thought the Ko-Man-Chi Doctor Spinnerbait sounded like a pretty cool idea. They have flexible wires so they become more compact, depending on how fast you retrieve them. They also seem to pulse when retrieved erratically. They come stock with Trokar hooks also.
Old 08-27-12, 10:38 PM   #13
USMCbassman

There seems to be a common theme on blade color from the responses.

boogieman- I did plenty of reading last night on blade shape...I'm good there thanks! As for skirt color- I just pick up what I like if the fish don't bite I'll switch or change lures completely. I'm not stocking a boat so I'm not concerned about that, hell I'm still building my rod and reel collection, but I throw in some new lures to beef up in the areas I'm lacking. Trailers on a spinner? I know it's done, but is it a common thing? I've never used a trailer on a spinner except for beetle spins and chatterbaits....

Tavery- What in the world is that thing? Obviously it's a spinnerbait, but who makes it?
Old 08-28-12, 10:18 AM   #14
bassboogieman

I rarely throw a spinnerbait without a trailer. Mostly it's a split-tail trailer but I do change up with a single tail grub, twin tail grub, back half of a fluke, usually in the same or similiar color as the skirt or chartreuse if I want some contrast or in murky water.
Old 08-28-12, 10:25 AM   #15
USMCbassman

Hhhmmm, interesting...I didn't think it was that common of a practice; however, I guess it does make a lot of sense since most of the lures resemble a fish and biting bass probably want a little tail action too
Old 08-28-12, 10:39 AM   #16
kennethdaysale

I never use a trailer on a spinnerbait........ever. I don't know or associate with anyone that uses a trailer on a spinnerbait. Frankly I don't give a flying rats A$$ what anybody says...they're totally and utterly useless!!

All seriousness aside I usually throw SB's in/around/over/through heavy wood cover, so a reaction bite is all I'm looking for and when they're on a SB bite they're making a decision so quick I just can't tell a difference with or without a trailer. When they're hot on one I suppose you could trailer one with a cigar butt or a piece of newspaper or a gum wrapper or a stringy booger and they'd eat it........if they're not wanting one then you could trailer with a hundred dollar bill and they still wouldn't want it.
Old 08-28-12, 10:56 AM   #17
flfireman

Color is easy for me down here: white, white/chartreuse. Blades willow all silver or 1 silver/ 1 gold. Do have some darker baits w/ colorado blades, but they are few and far seeing water time.
Old 08-28-12, 11:02 AM   #18
bassboogieman

Quote:
I don't know or associate with anyone that uses a trailer on a spinnerbait.
Neither do I, it eliminates my advantage.

You may have also noticed that several manufacturers are now making spinnerbait skirts with long tails - mimics the trailer that many have used in years past. So there must be a little something to it. I sometimes put a chartreuse split-tail trailer on a bait with a white long tailed skirt for a little flash of the contrasting color.

Ken, I don't think we'll ever have to worry about any "association" and you can send me all those hundred-dollar-bill trailers you aren't using (I'll reimburse you for shipping, of course). Just thought I better ask before 'bama saw it.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 08-28-12 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-28-12, 11:17 AM   #19
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post

Ken, I don't think we'll ever have to worry about any "association"
WELL BY GOD! How's this for "association": We're both members of these "associations"......."therefore associates"

BF.com regular posters..........check!
NRA members.......................check!
Caucasion...........................check!
Over 50..............................check!
Tackle junkies......................check!
common ignorees..................check!
Conservative........................check!
fisherman.............................check!
non-gay...............................check!
outspoken............................check!
generally full-o-sh!t................check!

And in the "for what it's worth category" this is what a typical hijack looks like ............sorry
Old 08-28-12, 11:29 AM   #20
bassboogieman

You're stealing my thunder! Over on BBC I am KNOWN as the OFFICIAL BBC HIJACKER! I just try to be good here on BF.com NOT! AND, when can I expect those trailers?
Old 08-28-12, 11:33 AM   #21
USMCbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
And in the "for what it's worth category" this is what a typical hijack looks like ............sorry

No need to be sorry, it's all in good fun, but on that note I'm going fishing...have a goodun
Old 08-28-12, 07:15 PM   #22
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCbassman View Post
and biting bass probably want a little tail action too
LMAO! Everyone wants a little tail action, even Bruce.
I often use a trailer. Either a twist grub or a split tail. It's a twist grub 90% of the time. I often have better luck using a contrasting color for a trailer. If I'm fishing a white skirt, I'll usually put on a chartruese or yellow trailer, and if it's a white/chartrues skirt or all chartruese I'll use a white grub. I'm convinced that contrast of color really gets a basses attention once she approaches the bait and then zeros in on the lure. I have definately noticed over the years that trailers can make a big difference. There are days I'll never use one and catch a ton of bass on them. There are also days when they won't strike a spinnerbait untill I add a trailer. So I start without one and see how it goes. As Bruce mentioned, the skirts with longer center tails to work as a trailer DO seem to work very well. Those skirts have cut down on my trailer use. If the bite is slow, I'll be adding a trailer. As for colors, I have five colors I mainly use. White, white/ chartruese, chatruese, bluegill and black/blue. The black/blue I've been using lately before sunrise and doing well with that. But seriously, I did well with ANY color in darkness, even white. I think it's the vibration that attracts them in darkness. I ALWAYS have double gold blades on my bluegill colored spinnerbaits and that has been a very good color combo for me. One of my biggest bass ever came on the bluegill spinnerbait and was caught at 1:30 in the afternoon letting it drop into a hole in the weedbed. The Strike King KVD bluegill spinnerbait is excellent . As for the other color skirts, I have a large mix of blade combos. Gold/silver, silver/gold/ silver/silver and gold/gold. My preference being large gold willow/silver colorado. I really am glad Reb got me started making spinnerbaits. I can custom make them any way I need and want. I won't be caught dead without a spinnerbait! I even told my wife to tuck one in my shirt pocket when I'm gone. haha

Last edited by keithdog; 08-28-12 at 10:57 PM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 11:53 PM   #23
Rebbasser

Spinnerbaits-one of my favorite fishing subjects!

Keith, glad to know I got you hooked, too. Great pike, BTW!

I make my own so I come up with some crazy combos.

There are volumes that have been written about spinnerbaits, and everyone has their favorites. Here is the rule of thumb I use based mainly on sunlight and water clarity as well as trial-and-error:

Clear water-for real clear water I use a double willow setup. You want more flash and less vibration.
Silver when it is sunny, silver/gold when it is party cloudy and copper when it is cloudy.

Slight stain-here I use a combo-a gold Colorado or more often Indiana blade in front of a silver willowleaf blade.

Heavy stain-Same combo but I reverse the colors with a silver Colorado or Indiana in front of a gold willow.

Chocolate milk-here I like a big, single Colorado blade. The reason is this blade puts out a lot of vibration which is what you want in water with no visibility.

Skirts-natural in clear water, add some chartreuse in stained water.

If the main forage is shad I use shad colors but if it is bluegill I use more gold and copper with a brownish/chartreuse skirt.

Like anything else, you never know what will work until you try it.
Old 09-05-12, 06:48 AM   #24
joedog

generally full-o-sh!t................check!

Generally?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.