Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-14-14, 11:33 AM   #1
fish4942
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default This year’s new rig: Which rod to go with?

Yes it’s that time of year again to buy another rig. I already know the reel I'm going with: BPS Pro Qualifier. But I'm still debating on what rod I want to go with. I want a super light rod with micro guides (preferably) in a 6’10” to 7’ M or MH for around $100.00. I'm not a mail order guy when it comes to fishing tackle so I’ll be buying at a local store, Bass Pro, Cabela’s, Dicks Sporting Goods, or Scheels. So far the Veritas Micro is at the top of the list.

Here’s what I’ve added to the list so far:
  • Abu Garcia Veritas Micro Guides
  • Falcon BuCoo
  • Lew’s Tournament SL Micro Guide
  • St Croix Mojo Bass (A little heavier than I’d like but considering)
  • Field & Stream Tec-Spec Elite Casting Rods
Of course any other suggestions are welcome. But I wanna stay in that $100 - $110 range.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 01:08 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Some of us dont have Dicks,bass pro,cabelas,herters or scheels,so resort to their online catalogs and ebay etc as we live 18 miles from the nearest red light.
Ive never owned a veritas yet abu has always been good to me.Still have a 5000c that works.
Sounds like a plan
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 03:24 PM   #3
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I really like the Bass Pro Shop Carbonlite rods. They do offer in the micro-guides but may stretch your budget a few dollars.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 04:07 PM   #4
fish4942

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFred View Post
I really like the Bass Pro Shop Carbonlite rods. They do offer in the micro-guides but may stretch your budget a few dollars.
Yeah I already have a few carbonlites in the regular and micro but I'm looking to for something new this year.
Old 02-14-14, 04:21 PM   #5
bassinbob

I only have 2 veritas spinning rods but am planning on a casting model this year. There is a vendor on ebay selling Veritas for $79 with free shipping. I have bought rods from them before with no problems. I am planning on a 7ft med heavy. A lot of guys say they have trouble with these rods but I never have. I like the feel and responsiveness of these rods. Check Gander if one is near you. The one near me has Citica E's for $69. I have a couple of these reels and they are as good as the reel you are looking at. Good luck.
Old 02-14-14, 04:50 PM   #6
fish4942

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
I only have 2 veritas spinning rods but am planning on a casting model this year. There is a vendor on ebay selling Veritas for $79 with free shipping. I have bought rods from them before with no problems. I am planning on a 7ft med heavy. A lot of guys say they have trouble with these rods but I never have. I like the feel and responsiveness of these rods. Check Gander if one is near you. The one near me has Citica E's for $69. I have a couple of these reels and they are as good as the reel you are looking at. Good luck.
Cool. I finally jumped into Shimano last year and bought a Caenan and Cita. I still need to take the Cita out by itself for a full day of fishing to get a feel for just how great it is to fish with. I have it on a 6'8" Compre but I spooled it up with only 10lb mono and used it for the BPS flickin shimmy wacky rig. But those are tough to throw in cover so I really only used it for that technique. I might spool it up with some 12-14lb fluoro this spring and put it through its paces this year.

What's the eBay sellers ID? No Gander Mountain near me. I wish there was. There's one where we usually vacation but I haven't made it there yet. Too much time at the outlet malls.
Old 02-14-14, 08:43 PM   #7
bassboogieman

It's a bit above your price point, but the new Abu Veracity has the micro guides. I handled one up at BPS a couple weeks ago and if I was looking for another rod (like I need one) with micros (and I'm not a big fan of them) it might have gone out the door with me. Abu makes a really nice rod at reasonable prices. My nephew has a couple Veritas rods, I've fished with them and hate to admit they are nearly as good as my premium rods that cost 3 times as much.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-14, 11:55 AM   #8
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Veritas would be my choice. I have a Pro Qualifier mounted on a Vandetta, the next step down from the Veritas as does my brother also. We love those outfits! Unfortunatly, the Veritas wasn't on the market yet when we purchased out Vendettas. Had they been available, we would have got the Veritas rods.
Old 02-16-14, 12:52 PM   #9
Tavery5

I have fished most of the rods on your list, of them, the Falcon BuCoo would be my choice. It is lighter than most and has a better build quality that any of the others in my experience. One thing that you would want to be aware of with the Falcon is that they are a little over rated in terms of power.
Old 02-17-14, 08:49 AM   #10
woody

The Veritas have been selling for $79.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-14, 07:43 PM   #11
bassinbob

Look in Wal-Mart for BuCoos. Mine had them for $99.

Last edited by bassinbob; 02-18-14 at 01:29 AM.
bassinbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-14, 09:51 AM   #12
fish4942

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
Look in Wal-Mart for BuCoos. Mine had them for $99.
Yep I've been eyeing them at Walmart for a while now. My local stores has them down to $79. But I've been waiting to see if they drop further plus I haven't heard as much about them as say the Veritas so I've been holding out. Of course if I decide to get one they'll all be gone. Then I'll probably kick myself. But I've been wondering about the BuCoo warranty too and how difficult it would be to replace getting it from Walmart.
Old 02-18-14, 12:12 PM   #13
bassinbob

I'd jump at that price. I'm going to have to go back and scan one to see if it's cheaper. A lot of guys on different forums have said the Bucoos are really a good rod.
Old 02-18-14, 12:35 PM   #14
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4942 View Post
Yep I've been eyeing them at Walmart for a while now. My local stores has them down to $79. But I've been waiting to see if they drop further plus I haven't heard as much about them as say the Veritas so I've been holding out. Of course if I decide to get one they'll all be gone. Then I'll probably kick myself. But I've been wondering about the BuCoo warranty too and how difficult it would be to replace getting it from Walmart.
I can't comment on the current status of the Veritas rods, but when they were first released I purchased 4 of them. I had the luxury of looking through many many rods to find the ones that I finally purchased. Most of their original released rods were so heavy on epoxy that many of them had guides that were either completely or partially closed, there were many rods that had long runs of sealer on the blanks, bent and crooked guides, all in all not a well built rod. I have seen many come back broken after just a short time in use. I will say that they were light and are as sensitive in my hands as most of the other rods on your list.

I am a Falcon fan, and the majority of the rods I fish are made by Falcon so I may not be impartial when making my recommendation. But I have fished a lot of rods and they meet my needs.

If you can justify spending another 50 to 70 dollars on a rod, I think you will be able to purchase rods at a whole different level and they will have build and component quality that you can and will appreciate. If not, I will stand by my original recommendation of the BuCoo. You will have no problem with support as Falcon is among the best.
Old 02-22-14, 11:57 AM   #15
mrmuskie5

My buddy works at gander mountain and says the veritas is the most "returned broken" rod they have ever had.. as for micro guides, if you fish mats or anywhere there is duck weed or loose vegetation i would stay away as the foul alot in my experience. If i only had $100 to spend on a rod i would be looking at the 13 fishing omen rods. They arent the lightest but in then $100 range i think they are the most sensitive and best built.
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-14, 11:37 AM   #16
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I'm planning on going to Toledo Bend and Lake Vernon in Apr. the guy I'm going with told me he snapped 3 Veritas, Saturday. He sets the hook like Bill Bixby would have when he got angry though.
Old 02-24-14, 10:24 PM   #17
bassboogieman

Y'know it's probably just the result of my mind not working like everyone else... but the subject of "broken rods" (aka " rod failure) seems much more common since the advent of the lightweight graphite rods that everyone loves because they are light and sensitive. Certainly the modern graphite rod is not as durable as our ancient 'glass rods and those that came before. Now we all love our light, sensitive rods and we want to be able to feel everything we can't see via the line transmission of vibration and what is the best? braid! My feeble brain tells me it's only logical when you match a graphite rod with 30# braid (or more commonly 50# +)
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.