Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-11, 08:53 PM   #1
LittleBigBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Red face What to buy, What to buy

I am getting a new baitcaster tomorrow, but i want to find out what the deal is with gear ratio and bearings first. What does the amount of bearings affect? Does the gear ratio matter? If so why. with such a large selecion of poles, and reels, i dont know what to look for! Also, does anyone know of any good baitcaster reels for around 80-110$? I dont know much when it comes to buying new rods and reels, any help on the subject would be appreciated!
LittleBigBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-11, 09:58 PM   #2
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

There could be many answers to your questions. First what method do you want a new set up for? Worms, jigs, topwater, cranks? If you're looking for a all purpose set up maybe go with a 7ft mh rod and a Shimano Citica 200E from Dicks ($79.00).They have a gear ratio of 6.3:1 which is a pretty much all around ratio. Lower ratios for cranks, higher for buzzbaits, and so on. Let us know what your need is.
Old 12-25-11, 11:28 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

shoot a pm to PRO REEL, NOFEAR, BIGBASSING. these guys can give oyu the skinny on what oyu need to know pal.

FIRST REEL that comes to my mind is the ABU GARCIA PROMAX. $80.00 at wally world. most likely it'll have a 6:2.1 ratio. good general all around ratio.
Old 12-25-11, 11:36 PM   #4
LittleBigBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks bassinbob and Bamabassman for your help, I am going to use this reel/rod for crankbaits so i would go with a lower ratio right? And for crankbaits a stiffer pole would be better. How about the length of the pole....For crankbaits with a baitcaster, what length/action pole should i get?
Old 12-26-11, 12:49 AM   #5
bamabassman

in MY opion only now, rod length depends on whether you fish mainly for mt eh boat or bank. boat, 6'6" or 7'. bank, 5'6" UP TO 6'6". CRANKBAITS, I LIKE A MED HEAVY WITH A FAST TIP. but others will tell you different. i jsut like a heavy action rod with a fast tip for a LOT of my baits. but i have been told it is wrong. so you'd be better to wait for someone who is more into rod actions.
Old 12-26-11, 01:17 AM   #6
Tavery5

A good place to start with a baitcasting setup for crankbaits would be a reel with a lower gear ratio, and a rod with medium heavy power'and a moderate to moderate fast action. Look at rods between 6'6" and 7', what ever feels most comfortable to you.

Some of the reels to look at would be the Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier and Carbonlite, Shimano makes a good reel in your price range called the Citica. Lew's makes a nice reel called the Speed Spool in this price range also.

As for rods you may want to take a look at the Falcon Bucoo, or the St. Croix Mojo. Both have a good build quality and won't break the bank.

Don't get yourself to hung up on gear ratio's and bearing count at this point.
Old 12-26-11, 02:10 AM   #7
bassboogieman

Three responses (including mine) and three different answers, so it goes with personal preference. In most instances I prefer a medium power, moderate or moderate/fast action rod for treble baits. I do move to a MH/mod rod for deep cranks or when ripping traps out of grass (not my favorite way to fish, either). Length for me is 6'9" or longer, again depending on which presentation. Reels, I like a lower ratio (5.3:1 approx) for cranks, except lipless cranks, then I want a faster ratio (6.3:1).
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-11, 03:09 AM   #8
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Three responses (including mine) and three different answers, so it goes with personal preference. In most instances I prefer a medium power, moderate or moderate/fast action rod for treble baits. I do move to a MH/mod rod for deep cranks or when ripping traps out of grass (not my favorite way to fish, either). Length for me is 6'9" or longer, again depending on which presentation. Reels, I like a lower ratio (5.3:1 approx) for cranks, except lipless cranks, then I want a faster ratio (6.3:1).
I couldn't have said it better. One reel to check out would be the BPS Pro Qualifier with the 5.4:1 ratio which is a good all around crankbait ratio. It sells for $99.00 and is of a very good quality. For a rod I would go with the StCroix Premier Crankbait specific rod. The 7'Medium power/moderate action will handle most of your crankbait needs with ease. It sells for $120.00 Like bassboogieman said, a MH power rod is good for large cranks and lipless cranks.
Old 12-26-11, 10:32 AM   #9
LittleBigBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys, you really helped me out a lot
Old 12-26-11, 10:50 AM   #10
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBigBass View Post
Thanks guys, you really helped me out a lot
I would have thought you would be completly confused by now. LOL

The problem with the question is that there is no right or wrong answer.
As you can see from the responses, it depends on lots of factors and personal preference.

KVD recomends a 5.2:1 ratio reel for all crankbaits. Thats because he fish's like a demon on crack. He cranks his reels the same speed for crankbaits as he does for burning spinnerbaits. He doesn't like to try to slow down, so he uses a slower reel. Other pro's recomend a 6.4: 1 reel for small and medium cranks because you can be more versatile with speeds without much adjustment to the cranking speed of your hand. I found that what works best for me is to use a 5.1:1 reel for the biggest cranks such as DD 22's and then to use a 6.4:1 reel for most all other crankbaits. What works for me though may be quite different than what you or anyone else would like.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-11, 11:17 AM   #11
woody

The reason I like using a moderate(softer) action crankbait rod is the higher hook-up percentages.

The softer rod will absorb the energy of a thrashing bass, rather than allowing the bass to shake free from the small treble hooks.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-11, 11:18 AM   #12
bamabassman

KEVIN BRINGS UP AN IMPORTANT POINT. i can see where KVD changes reels with different gear ratios. it makes sense. see, by changing to a different gear ratio, you DON'T change the way YOU retrieve the bait. the REEL makes the change FOR YOU. this is what i want to do my self. takes out the thinking in my mind. want to slow down....switch to a lower gear ratio and retrieve the same way.
i wasn't recomending a specific gear ratio,if i did i am sorry. i was jsut saying what I personally use as of right now.
in the (hopefully) near future, i am going to have different reels for such this reason. 1 for worms, lissies and so forth, 1 for shallow cranks and spinners, etc,etc. this way when i pick up a rod, cast and mis (as usual,lol), i can go right back with a DIFFERNT rod, cast and use the SAME speed retrieveing and miss it again. hahaha.

does this make sense? if not please correct me. lol. i jsut got up and still groggy form all the CHRISTMAS fun. no, no booze imvolved either. hahaha.
Old 12-26-11, 10:10 PM   #13
LittleBigBass
BassFishin.Com Member

I went to Bass Pro shops today, and decided to get the johnny morris carbon black pole and baitcaster reel. Thanks again for all the advice and info on the gear ratios, gave me some idea of what to look for in the store.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.