Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 07-27-07, 06:20 PM   #1
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander
Default ### J.i.g.s. ###

Never used them and would like to start. When,where,how do you fish them?? What sizes should you use and what trailer should you use on them???

Thanks(in advance) -LL-
Old 07-27-07, 06:49 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

LL, I fish them pretty much like a plastic worm-same places, etc. except I drag it rather than a lift and drop.

Sizes-mine range from 3/16 all the way up to 1 oz. depending on the application. I mostly use a 3/16 finesse jig and a 1/2 ounce jig.

Colors-watermelon, watermelon red, green pumpkin and black/blue.

Trailers-you can pretty much use any soft plastic. Most use something like a Zoom or Yum chunk or a paca craw. I've got a buddy that likes to use a Horny Toad. Match the color of the trailer to the color of the jig and you are good to go.
Old 07-27-07, 06:59 PM   #3
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

I like to throw Jig any and everywhere... mostly though, into heavy cover/structure. If doing so, I would suggest heavy braid and a weedless jig.

I will also do as Reb said, and drag it across the bottom. They are almost as versitile as the stik bait.

As for trailers Reb covered it, anything form senkos to craws to whatever else you can imagine... maybe.
Old 07-28-07, 10:57 AM   #4
zooker

well first off it took me a while to figure them out also.. but once i did i either flip them in shallow water near rip rap or i drag them like a carolina rig in deep water struture..

as for color i rarely ever use blue/black but use watermelon seed or greenpumkin jigs with greenpumkiin or watermelon seed trailers.. i prefure zoom ultra vibe chunk trailers..

zooker
Old 07-28-07, 11:14 AM   #5
lunker-lander

Where can I find a good selection of trailers?? There are no BPS's around , but there is a Cabela's about 1/2 hour from here. Would they have these ZOOM Vibes??? Also, what type(brand name and model; color too)would you reccommend??

-LL-
Old 07-28-07, 11:29 AM   #6
keithdog

The Cabelas you mention will have them for sure. Wall Mart usually has a few you can choose from, though it's definately not my first choice. If you don't mind waitting a couple days to get them, go to basspro.com and order them on line.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-07, 11:38 AM   #7
lunker-lander

Even in a lake w/ no crawfish(that I know of), will a largemouth still hit these??
Old 07-28-07, 12:42 PM   #8
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker-lander View Post
Where can I find a good selection of trailers?? There are no BPS's around , but there is a Cabela's about 1/2 hour from here. Would they have these ZOOM Vibes??? Also, what type(brand name and model; color too)would you reccommend??

-LL-
Any soft plastic can be used as trailer, I use anywhere from a grub all the way up to a brush hog.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-07, 12:45 PM   #9
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

The bass will still hit it, because it represents a slow and easy meal. I have the same amount of success swimming a jig too. I just cast, and work the jig like a spook, or other topwater bait, except underwater.
I like a Zoom baby brush hog for a trailer when dragging it like a craw. Pretty much anything will work though. 3/8oz jigs work well for me when I swim the jig. I like to swim them with any kind of chunk.(square/round body with with two plastic legs)
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-07, 01:12 PM   #10
lunker-lander

Ok, now I'm starting to understand where to use them, how to use them, etc. Now that I know this, what colors,brands, and trailers would you reccommend?

Thanks(for all the other info & in advance) -LL-
Old 07-28-07, 01:26 PM   #11
jooleyen

Black/Blue, Pumpkin, Green Pumpkin, Watermelon, and Black/Chartreuse. Pretty much anything that represents a crawfish or other slow moving bottom creature. For water clarity, something brighter and more visible in muddy water, and more natural with your greens and browns for clear water. Something like Black/Chartreuse would work well for muddy water, where something like Pumpkin would work well for clear water. There are also exceptions. Sometimes in clear water it's good to use a bright shocking color, and in muddy water, a subtle natural color. Just experiment.
As far as models and brands, I like Booyah Bedbug jigs. Just pick a brand and model and gain confidence in it. There are also many other brands I'd like to try. You can find most brands at http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/brandjigs.html
When I'm swimming a jig, I usually like some noise, so I'll go with a Strike King Denny Brauer Pro-Model jig with rattles.

Just remember that most of the time, any bait will work in any water. It's just a matter of what you're confident in. When something doesn't work, try something else. Gain confidence in all jig colors and brands if you can.
Old 07-28-07, 01:54 PM   #12
lunker-lander

Thanks for that great website Joolz...Just one more question though. What type of rod/reel do you use for pitchin'/flippin'/castin' jigs??? Wondering this because I would like to start using jigs and I may be getting a MH Action St.Croix 7'0'' Baitcaster. Would this be good for usin' jigs??

Thanks -LL-
Old 07-28-07, 03:03 PM   #13
jooleyen

A 7'0 MH should do alright for all around. If you're strictly pictching/flipping I'd recommend you get a 7'6" Heavy action. Thats just my preference though. So from what you asked, my answer is YES.
Old 07-28-07, 03:30 PM   #14
zooker

Quote:
Even in a lake w/ no crawfish(that I know of), will a largemouth still hit these??

yep..

zooker
Old 07-29-07, 10:30 PM   #15
Bender

I caught this one on a jig today, black/blue 3/8 oz. Mop Jig with a baby paca craw trailer:

That is a big profile jig, and a 36"+ pike. Here is a much smaller one I also caught this morning:

Big jigs are big bass baits. I'm surprised the pike like them too. It is a different presentation I use when fishing jigs, with very heavy jerks.

Last edited by Bender; 07-29-07 at 10:54 PM.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 10:52 PM   #16
hackattack
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The only real places that I think jigs are better than any other bait are flipping...i like a big profile for flipping (most do) so you can get away with using natural colors, which I think will almost always catch bigger bass...loud colors like chartreuse catch a lot of small fish for me, the big smart ones wait for something real natural.
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 10:54 PM   #17
azsportsman
BassFishin.Com Member

Another great jig is ht JigX by Vertical Lures http://www.verticallures.com. Since the tie is behind the head the knot is protected and makes it virtually weedless. I have been using them about 5 months now and they come through anything. Haven't lost a one.
azsportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 11:53 PM   #18
3dkicker

Trailers??? Here you go.....
Zoom makes a whole bunch of trailers
Uncle Josh makes pork frogs
KidLizard makes a swirled Minicraw and their own Huffer (creature bait looking trailer)
and you can put any plastic crawfish (Chigger, Paca, Critter, Ultravibe, BB Cricket, Brush Hog, etc, etc, etc.)

Big trailers vs Small - I prefer the smaller trailers or plastic craws with smaller claws but that's me.
Old 07-30-07, 02:13 PM   #19
CLENSKH
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CLENSKH

We dont have no pike in CA.. The law says if you catch it you have to kill it on the spot.
Old 07-30-07, 06:28 PM   #20
pig n jig

Jigs are a great bait to learn, but its one that usually takes quite a bit of time before you learn to catch fish with it.Once you start catching fish,you learn when and where to fish the jig to be more productive. Pitching to heavy cover is my favorite jig presentation.I use 30 lb braid and basically use 1/2 oz.& 1 oz. jigs with a baby paca craw as a trailer.I do not beleive in color preferences , or even worry about matching trailer and skirt colors.I prefer the two not match contrasting colors will trump matching colors as a rule.I do not beleive in finesse fishing jigs, but more of a sledge hammer presentation.Drop the jig in the heart of the cover and get the bite. Hack attack said big smart ones wait for something natural.They didn't get big by chasing things to eat.You have got to drop that jig in the thickest part of the cover, right on thier head if you can.Heavy jigs dropped right in thier home will produce big fish from a reaction bite.If your catching small fish, move to increase your chances of upgrading the fish size.The number one rule of thumb when jig fishing... The longer you go without a bite. The closer you are to catching alot. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-07, 10:19 AM   #21
skeeter944

Quote:
Yes! I have been on fish in some ponds that dont have any crawfish in them. I have been using a 3/4-1ounce jig in blakc/blue or a bluegill color almost and flip the weeds that this pond has. The jig goes by the fish so fast that they inhale out of self-defense. Jigs work anywhere!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-07, 05:23 PM   #22
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
I do not beleive in color preferences , or even worry about matching trailer and skirt colors.I prefer the two not match contrasting colors will trump matching colors as a rule.
hey piggly jiggly ya mean like this??

watermelon seed skirt over green pumkin trailer..

zooker
Old 07-31-07, 05:28 PM   #23
JB

7-28 huh zooker? good to see you have time to get out still
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-07, 05:36 PM   #24
zooker

yeah well i was on work release..

zooker
Old 08-01-07, 11:10 AM   #25
OfficerWhite
BassFishin.Com Member

sorry for the ignorance but is a trailor, well what it sounds like? Example, like a worm rigged behind a jig.If not then what is it and what is the reason?

Also, are you supposed to walk a jig on the bottom or swim it, or both.

Obviously I am pretty new and would appreciate any help.
OfficerWhite is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.