Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 04-04-12, 09:22 PM   #101
IUbass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Yeah usually it loses water depth as the yeah goes on. Those familiar with DHL know the little island past the main pet of the water. At the beginning of the year you might see the top of the tree and at the end of the year you see the whole island
IUbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-12, 06:05 PM   #102
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUbass View Post
Yeah usually it loses water depth as the yeah goes on. Those familiar with DHL know the little island past the main pet of the water. At the beginning of the year you might see the top of the tree and at the end of the year you see the whole island
My DH Lake Chart(Atlantic Mapping) shows this little island as a hump when the lake is at normal pool. It's located about 1000ft. due north of Clark Island, and about 1500ft. south of Graveyard Island.

I also couldn't help but to notice some nice looking FLATS associated with these humps(islands).
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-12, 06:07 PM   #103
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
I also couldn't help but to notice some nice looking FLATS associated with these humps(islands).
Man, everything ON that lake looks good to me....I don't know where in the world I will need to start...
Old 04-06-12, 06:30 PM   #104
IUbass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Man, everything ON that lake looks good to me....I don't know where in the world I will need to start...
I'm with you, and its so big...
IUbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-12, 06:32 PM   #105
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post

Hey Daniel, during the planning of the 2010 DH Trip I was given some advice by a very respectable smallmouth angler.

Elwood Lumpkins writes. If you keep your bait in the 10-20 foot water depth either on flats, points, humps, banks or grass beds with DEEPER water fairly close, you can pretty much guarantee if there is any structure in the area, a BIG girl will be around as well.

Get a good map (Atlantic Mapping System) is the best. then find out the lake level before you go versus summer pool which the map will be laid out and deduct the amount below summer pool to find the 10-20 foot depths in areas that I mentioned above and you will have no problem.

Remember depth and presentation, in my humble opinion, are way more important than color of a jig or crankbait or other bait, within reason. Not saying you can use a Flourescent Orange crankbait at the right depth and it will catch fish but am saying that within reason a Sexy Shad vs Gizzard Shad vs Threadfin Shad vs Rainbow Trout imitating lures for example will all catch the same fish if they are presented properly and at the correct depth. Always try and think like the fish, where will be be on this particular point/bank/hump/grass bed. Ambush points in the structure, rock piles or brush piles, changes in contour for example are all the sweet spot of the honey hole.~Elwood Lumpkins

Dalniel, I hope this will help. I will try to find some more info on bait presentation.

-Mark
Old 04-06-12, 06:59 PM   #106
woody

Here's what Elwood had to say about the presentation of your baits.

Elwood Lumpkins writes, If you think you are fishing slow enough and you are not getting any bites then SLOW down even more. Drag your jigs on the bottom with PAUSES, slow reel your crankbaits.

Change up different types of structure to fish because with black shale points, chunk rock points, pea gravel and mud points, deep grass beds, medium grass beds, bluff walls, humps, ledges, islands located in all parts of the lake the fish could be anywhere.

Pattern the fish, focus on the presentation and type of structure you catch fish from and DUPLICATE it for more success.

If you are used to semi-stained water then Dale Hollow will be Gin Clear to you. Baitcasters - 10lb or 8lb Flourocarbon, Spinning Reels - 6lb Flourocarbon, FNF leaders - 4 or 6lb Flourocarbon leaders,
~Elwood Lumpkins
Old 04-07-12, 11:33 AM   #107
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Well, it's official we won't be making it this year... Since I haven't heard from anybody to take our cabin at the black friday price, we cancelled our reservation.

BB
Old 04-07-12, 05:40 PM   #108
woody

Sorry to hear that Anthony.

I hope to be able to see you and your dad at the next one.

-Mark
Old 04-12-12, 10:42 AM   #109
nofearengineer

That completely sucks, Anthony. Oh well, eventually you will be a rich pharmacist and be able to come fishing any time you please.

On a side note, I looked at the historical weather for Dale Hollow, and we can hope for high 70's during the day and high 40's at night. So bring your long johns if you plan on doing anything at night, folks!! I can attest to how the temperature on Dale seems to plummet the instant the sun goes down. Two years ago, we went from blazing 90's to shivering, teeth-chattering cold on the chug back to the lodge. BRING WARM CLOTHES JUST IN CASE!
Old 04-12-12, 11:26 AM   #110
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
If you are used to semi-stained water then Dale Hollow will be Gin Clear to you. Baitcasters - 10lb or 8lb Flourocarbon, Spinning Reels - 6lb Flourocarbon, FNF leaders - 4 or 6lb Flourocarbon leaders,
~Elwood Lumpkins
Wow! That just blows my mind that you have to go that light...and I just rig heavier and heavier every year.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-12, 11:50 AM   #111
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post
Wow! That just blows my mind that you have to go that light...and I just rig heavier and heavier every year.
Dog, check out this video, where you can "clearly" see how clear Dale can be. If you use heavy line at Dale, they will see it for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV32hSyfWdM

I will say I troll with 20lb mono and 20lb FC leaders, but that's more of a reaction strike from below. I think they don't see the line as well in those conditions, as they're looking up into the light.
Old 04-12-12, 01:04 PM   #112
bassboogieman

Cripes, I just respooled all my reels - guess the spinning reels for sure are getting the spare spools filled with flurocarbon. Maybe a couple of the baitcasters I throw plastics on as well.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-12, 01:23 PM   #113
bamabassman

i jsut want to see the VIDEO of the banjo and geeetar picking. maybe bruce can bring a jug ot blow on too.
Old 04-12-12, 03:53 PM   #114
bassboogieman

You wanna see dat pal - oyu gotta be dere in person.................... I don't do video, only LIVE!
Old 04-12-12, 05:53 PM   #115
MississippiBoy

Anybody have any idea on what water temp we'll be looking at?
Old 04-12-12, 06:10 PM   #116
bassboogieman

I'm betting it will be more summer pattern than spring. If things keep going like they are (warm) probably mid-70's surface temps. I am definitely thinking more towards fishing like it was first or second week of June, not early May. The thing that I'm concerned with is around mid-June most of the smallmouth fishing centers around fishing at night - which I do not do. Early morning bite or evening bite may be the best, with the afternoon action not so hot. But who knows, it they draw water to generate electricity, the fish will likely respond to that.

Whole new thing for me, as I don't fish deep water and prefer to fish grass. Dale is deep and not much in the way of vegetation, so I have a whole new way of fishing to deal with. What I am concerned about is the lack of grass - same a Wheeler last year, I had a tough time finding fish. I'm hoping for better fishing this year at the Hollow, but fishing in a manner that is not familiar, may be a bit frustrating. We'll see.

When are you comming in Daniel? Are you comming for the whole week? If not, we may have a handle on it by the time you arrive - then again, maybe not.
Old 04-12-12, 06:54 PM   #117
woody

Depending on how things are going here at home, I may arrive a day or two sooner then had planned.

-Mark

Last edited by woody; 04-12-12 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-12-12, 08:52 PM   #118
nofearengineer

As of today (per the USACE):

"The surface water temperature is 65 degrees, and at 10 ft is 58 degrees."

Remember the Smallmouth will be totally post-spawn, and the Largemouth will be mostly post-spawn, with a few still left on the deeper beds.

This means to me, find vegetation and other cover in 12-20 feet of water. Very your presentations accordingly like jigs, flukes, or deep cranks.
Old 04-12-12, 09:16 PM   #119
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
When are you comming in Daniel? Are you comming for the whole week? If not, we may have a handle on it by the time you arrive - then again, maybe not
I'm leaving here Thursday morning, so I should be there sometime that afternoon, hopefully early enough to get a little time out on the water.
Old 04-12-12, 09:25 PM   #120
nofearengineer

I'm going to do my best to have a few good spots mapped out and verified with my sonar ready to go for our weekenders when they get there.
Old 04-13-12, 05:26 PM   #121
woody

Sounds good, Bryce!

Hey guys, if I arrive before Wednesday May 9th I'm gonna need a place to stay until Wednesday, Ron has the 2 bedroom cabin booked for that Wednesday thru Saturday. I really don't want to have to pay the full price for a 2 bedroom cabin by myself, if you know what I mean? Heck, I wouldn't even mind sleeping on the couch for a night or two, just until Ron and Adam make it down Wednesday evening, then I can switch cabins. Let me know if you guys can spare a little sleeping space; this way it will save everyone a little money. I'm planning on taking that entire week off from work, so let me know something.

-Mark
Old 04-13-12, 06:19 PM   #122
nofearengineer

Woody, it sounds like Daniel won't be joining us until Thursday, so of course you can stay with us. You just have to promise not to track mud all over the floor.
Old 04-13-12, 06:27 PM   #123
MississippiBoy

To make it easier, Mark, I can stay with Ron and Adam, so you won't have to swap cabins after being in Bryce's for a couple of days and getting all situated and comfy.
That is, if them Smith boys will let me....
Old 04-13-12, 06:28 PM   #124
woody

Oh O.K. I promise.

Much appreciated!

-Mark
Old 04-13-12, 06:54 PM   #125
bassboogieman

Daniel, he may be ready for a change of venue after spending a few days in the nut house............................

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.