Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 12-22-11, 09:14 AM   #1
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default MD Tourny's

I recieved an email from MD DNR asking for input on a possible registration requirement for all LGMouth/smallie tournaments held in MD.

The reason behind the MD DNR thinking about this is unknown right now. Still waiting on an email explaining there thoughts for required resgistration.

I will follow up this thread with there thoughts.

Capt Mike
Old 12-22-11, 11:13 AM   #2
joedog

I think I recieved something similar here in Wisconsin recently.
I don't currently fish tournies so I gave it no mind. Probably should have.
Old 12-22-11, 12:49 PM   #3
Captmikestarrett

Here is all official and stuff.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...ver_letter.pdf

Looks OK to me.. but may be a hassle for tourny directors.

Capt Mike
Old 12-22-11, 01:18 PM   #4
bassboogieman

We have that in PA and it hasn't caused any issues I'm aware of. Basic information the State of Maryland is looking for is usually documented during a tournament weigh in. Applications for tournament permits are relatively easy here, they're quick and rarely denied. A little extra work for tournament directors, but you can send all applications for club sponsored tournaments in together prior to the season. Then it's only a matter of sending tournament results back to the State commision. Not a lot of work and it will provide information the State would otherwise have to spend money from their budget to conduct studies, which may be directed to better use.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-11, 02:18 PM   #5
3dkicker

I read a little about in my local paper. I don't get why they want the tournaments to use the release boats. You know they will want to charge for the gas and pay the employee's to take the fish out to the channel and dump them. And I was part of that Stren/Everstart (FLW) tournament that had that fish kill. My personal opinion from being there, going through the process with the aeration and treated water, and taking them to the boat I think someone on the boat screwed up....

Also what information will they get from the number and weights....5 fish 12lbs, 4 fish 8lbs, 3 fish 8lbs, etc ??? The 5 fish bag could have all 2's or a couple 3's and two 1.5's or a 6 and a bunch of 1.5's. Same with the other bags. They won't get an idea of the individual size of the fish which I think is what they would want to determine how a specific year class is doing.

*Conspiracy Theory*
They'll make it free to begin with and then start charging a fee.
Old 12-23-11, 09:31 PM   #6
joedog

Default Kind of an interesting read

Hundreds of bass found dead following La Crosse fishing tournament
May be related to the Tourney fuss.
I don't know but an interesting read anyway.
Updated: July 24, 2006 - 3:37 PM

LA CROSSE, Wis. — Hundreds of dead bass have been collected from La Crosse-area river waters, days after a major fishing tournament was held in the region, a state official said.

Nearly all of the 582 bass were marked with a clipped tail fin, evidence they were caught and released during a bass-fishing tournament from July 12-15, said David Hobbs of the state Department of Natural Resources.

This is the second year that higher-than-normal fish deaths were reported in the area following the Wal-Mart FLW Stren Series Bass Fishing Tournament, which attracted 400 anglers.

Last year, most of the dead fish tested positive for largemouth bass virus, which can cause death when the fish is stressed.

The majority of the fish Hobbs collected this year were largemouth, and he said the stress of being caught, held in a livewell and released might be a factor in their deaths.

As part of an ongoing study, the DNR clipped the tail fins of the more than 2,000 bass caught and released during the four-day tournament. The research, conducted by the DNR and fishery biology researchers at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, focuses on mortality rates in bass-fishing tournaments.

The study is in response to a 2003 Wisconsin law calling for an investigation of the economic, sociological and biological impacts of catch-and-release programs in bass tournaments. Results are expected in early August.

Veteran tournament angler Ed Stellner, 53, of Onalaska, said anglers are concerned but they question the DNR study.

"If we are killing the fish, we definitely want to know why,'' he said. "However, I also should point out that there's a bass-fishing tournament in La Crosse every weekend, and when's the last time you saw this many dead? After last year's tournament (which was the first year of the study).''

Perhaps the way the DNR conducted the study was a factor, Stellner said.

The agency put about 100 fish a day in 8-by-8-foot holding pens on the Black River. An equal number of tournament-caught fish and fish culled from the wild using electroshocking were kept for a side-by-side comparison.

The pens didn't have proper current flow, which could have raised water temperatures and limited oxygen levels, Stellner said. Also, the fish were held for up to five days, another possible source of stress, he said.

Hobbs confirmed Stellner's account of the holding pens but said the electroshocked fish weren't among those he collected because they did not have a clipped fin.

Hobbs collected the fish from Pettibone Beach to Airport Beach.

Tournament official Dave Washburn of FLW Outdoors, based in Benton, Ky., said Monday that "clearly we're all concerned'' about the fish deaths.

But "we have a lot to learn about how to conduct the study,'' he said
Old 12-23-11, 09:44 PM   #7
joedog

Default Follow up from study

Another good read.

http://dnr.wi.gov/wnrmag/html/storie...06/fishcon.htm

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.