Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 03-14-11, 10:34 PM   #51
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

thank you daniel. my bad todd.

and todd.if this is NOT compadable. tell me what i need to do this please. thank you.
Old 03-16-11, 04:11 PM   #52
Todd Driscoll
BassFishin.Com Member

These units are not compatible with the current NMEA 2000 networking. The GlobalMap 4800 is NMEA 2000 and 0183, but the older LMS-240 is only old-school NMEA 0183.

But, you can link these units via NMEA 0183 to share a GPS antenna, but that is all they will share with each other. This requires running additional wires between the units and connecting their respective 0183 input/outputs on the power cables. I can provide further details regarding this if you are interested.

Given advantages of NMEA 2000 networking, and even more so now with HDS and Ethernet linking, I would look to purchase NMEA 2000 or Ethernet compatible units.
Old 03-16-11, 05:52 PM   #53
bamabassman

ok todd. thanks man.
Old 03-18-11, 10:58 PM   #54
mrs bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Member

todd, another question for oyu buddy. this is john again, NOT the mrs. i messed up my password and had ot login under the wifey,lol.

anyway. my question.

does it matter what power cord one uses on a unit? i have the 240 and the 510c. only have 1 power cord though. do i need another cord for the 240? i know i need another cord anyway. to operate the 2 units. i was just trying to power up the new to me unit and it wouldn't come on. i checked the cord with a testing light and it shows power going through it. thanks!
mrs bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-11, 09:05 PM   #55
bamabassman

ok, another little update todd. there is nothing wrong with the 510c, it was a bad power cord. got it mounted up front with a NEW power cord and it works jsut fine.
now, as for the lms 240..........lol. i found a power cord for right at $60.00. gonna try to find one cheaper if i can. but i want to thank oyu for the advise. you are a tremendous help here man. i for one am SOOO gald you are here.
Old 03-20-11, 06:55 PM   #56
Todd Driscoll
BassFishin.Com Member

no problem John, here to help, glad you have everything headed in the right direction
Old 03-20-11, 08:19 PM   #57
bamabassman

hahaha, yeah......now if i can only find a power cord for the unit i'll be set. which reminds me todd. ont he antenna, is there a base plate to screw in the antenna? i see 4 holes under the antenna puck...do screw from the bottom of the hull to this? or do i need a base plate of some sort?
Old 03-21-11, 11:55 AM   #58
Todd Driscoll
BassFishin.Com Member

You can mount the antenna directly to the boat with studs and nuts, but your 12 W antenna for the 240 is also compatible with the quick mount, ideally that's what you need - QM-1 113-92

http://www.lei-extras.com/store/sear...dule+Accessory
Old 03-21-11, 01:10 PM   #59
bamabassman

thanks todd, that is EXACTLY what i thought i needed. jsut couldn't find it, again.THANK YOU!! now......find me a CHEAP power cord for the unit. i found one, but $60.00?!?!
Old 03-28-11, 02:07 PM   #60
Seadweller
BassFishin.Com Member

Hi Todd!

I have a Lowrance, dual-display set-up that suddenly started returning a "GPS Module Not Responding" error on both head units. A close inspection revealed no wiring issues, so I believe the module has gone bad.

I have the 3000 module, and as I understand it, the new 4000 version does not offer a quick-mount option. Not that alone, but it's smaller, so new holes will have to be drilled in the top.

I'm exploring some options, so out of curiosity, are there other brands/models of NMEA 2000 GPS modules that are compatible with the QM-1 Quick Mount?

Thanks!
Seadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-11, 02:30 PM   #61
syd
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Need a little help please. I have a Lowrance 520. Occasionally it starts giving me position acquired/position lost audible alarms. Doesn't happen all the time but when it does it will drive you crazy going off every minute. I tried turning off alarms but that didn't work. I turned volume down so at least i couldn't hear them. Is there another option.
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-11, 01:50 PM   #62
Todd Driscoll
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadweller View Post
Hi Todd!

I have a Lowrance, dual-display set-up that suddenly started returning a "GPS Module Not Responding" error on both head units. A close inspection revealed no wiring issues, so I believe the module has gone bad.

I have the 3000 module, and as I understand it, the new 4000 version does not offer a quick-mount option. Not that alone, but it's smaller, so new holes will have to be drilled in the top.

I'm exploring some options, so out of curiosity, are there other brands/models of NMEA 2000 GPS modules that are compatible with the QM-1 Quick Mount?

Thanks!
Because Module Not Responding could essentially be any component on the network, I would find another antenna to test on your system to ensure it is antenna before buying another.

I know of no other non-Lowrance antennas that are compatible.
Old 03-29-11, 02:35 PM   #63
Todd Driscoll
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd View Post
Need a little help please. I have a Lowrance 520. Occasionally it starts giving me position acquired/position lost audible alarms. Doesn't happen all the time but when it does it will drive you crazy going off every minute. I tried turning off alarms but that didn't work. I turned volume down so at least i couldn't hear them. Is there another option.
First, why are you losing position? Are you behind an obstruction, under a bridge, etc. to cause this? How close is your GPS antenna to your unit? Some, not all, LGC-3000s must be at least 3 feet away from your unit or signal strength will be affected. Minus a physical obstruction, losing position should be a rare event if all else is good.

I don't have access to a unit right now, but I would have thought that disabling all alarms would have taken care of this specific one, but if it didn't, then yes the only other way is turning volume down.
Old 03-29-11, 02:59 PM   #64
syd
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thanks Todd. Now that you mention it it does seems to occur mostly when i am in a small cove with hillside on both sides or similar type enclosed or blocked area.
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-11, 02:19 PM   #65
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Todd, I'm asking for our buddy Bamabassman...the antenna for his LMS-240 is bad, he believes. Can he use a 3000 or 4000 version antenna? From what I can see, he has a LGC 12w antenna...is that his only option? Thanks.
Old 04-18-11, 03:47 PM   #66
Todd Driscoll
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Todd, I'm asking for our buddy Bamabassman...the antenna for his LMS-240 is bad, he believes. Can he use a 3000 or 4000 version antenna? From what I can see, he has a LGC 12w antenna...is that his only option? Thanks.
Yes, 12W is what he needs, 2000 - 4000 antennas won't work.
Old 04-18-11, 04:17 PM   #67
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ok, that answers that. Thanks again.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.