Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-24-08, 02:52 PM   #1
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Dooooe! Stupid Braid problem . . .

Braid Problem

I purchased some 65lb Power Pro (probably a bit overkill, I think I would have been fine with the 50lb). Anyway, I looked at the Power Pro manual and the company suggests 3 options for attaching the line to the rod. One option is tying through the "wiffle holes" in the spool. The other involves attaching tape, and the third is a uni knot to the mono.

So, what is the best way to attach the Power Pro? I tried the Uni knot but couldn't get it to work. If I tie through the holes on the spool, will I lose that "free-spooling" feel when I am pitching? What is the deal with the tape? The Power Pro manual shows tape but doesn't explain what to do?
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 03:13 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

If you go through the holes it doesnt effect the spool turning what so ever. I have put it on the spool with a polymar knot, but most of the time I put on some used mono to the spool ,fill it 1/2 full and tie a blood knot with pp on it, fill the rest of the spool that I'll be using to about a 1/8 on a inch till i see the edge of the spool
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 04:05 PM   #3
Wishing2BFishing

So JB, you have tied the Power Pro directly to the spool through the holes? Do you still do this? Should I not do this?
Old 03-24-08, 04:23 PM   #4
Wishing2BFishing

JB, can you tell that I am making every excuse to avoid attaching the braid to the mono?
Old 03-24-08, 04:43 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I use an Arbor Knot to attach any line I'm using to the reel.

BB
Old 03-24-08, 04:45 PM   #6
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing View Post
JB, can you tell that I am making every excuse to avoid attaching the braid to the mono?
Attaching the braid to the mono is the very best way to attach it for one main reason. The mono serves to "cushion" the no stretch characteristics of the braid to your drag system on the reel. I would remove half the mono, do a "double UNI" (a single uni will never work), top off the spool with braid. With the spool backed with mono (1/2) and filled with braid you will have more than enough braid to serve your needs and then the mono will allow you have the same drag performance as before (with braid never ever tighten the drag down, you want it "zip" on the hookset. Otherwise you will rip a hole in a bass' mouth and risk losing it).
Old 03-24-08, 05:25 PM   #7
Cranebird
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I am with Big bassin .I use an arbor knot and secure the line to the spool with a peice of waterproof first aid tape so it doesn't slip on the spool. Be advised that they do not recomend you use braided lines on a wiffle spool for the spool can collape under a large amount of pressure.the braid is strong enough to allow you to compress the wiffle spool.I personally have never seen it happen but I have heard of it happening from a few different people. I tend to run a loose drag with braid so it will not allow excessive cranking pressure to collapse the spool. C-Bird habitat
Old 03-24-08, 06:05 PM   #8
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

You could also try tying on a couple, (10-20 yds.), of mono, then use the Arbor Tape which should have been included to tape the PP to the mono. As long as you'e not casting all the way to the mono-backing, you should be fine.

-Lunk-
Old 03-24-08, 07:19 PM   #9
lizardsrule

Tie it to the spool if it has wiffles in it. If not, use a short amount of mono, and tie any old knot that works for you. Braid isn't going to hurt your reels, unless you use a baitcaster, and you could theoretically??????? bend the spool if you pull on it straight back with enough force with braid. I have yet to do this, and I get hung up a lot. The cusgion effect bob mentions would never be a factor as the line would not be pulling on any mono, just tightening around the spool. I you have mono close enough to wherever you line ends on your futherest cast, and then another 10-15 yrds, then you need to respool. Bass won't spool you, now if the reel doubles for some other fish, then they might, I have experienced this.

Lizards
Old 03-24-08, 08:11 PM   #10
Rebbasser

W2BF, it doesn't matter how you attach it to the reel. I tie it through the holes in the whiffle spool but tape will work just as well, and it will not cause a probem period. No bass will spool you. Which is why when I respool I only pull off 2-3 long casts worth of line and respool with fresh line tying it with a uni-to uni knot but a simple overhand knot will work. When I can feel the knot it is time to respool again.

Attaching a fluoro leader is a whole different ball game. A uni-to-uni knot is real easy to tie:

http://powerpro.com/using/uniuni.asp

Old 03-24-08, 08:23 PM   #11
zooker

i also tie thru the wiffle holes.. no problems yet..

zooker
Old 03-24-08, 08:48 PM   #12
WTL

I use an arbor knot. Mainly you arent gonna find yourself in a situation where it really matters, I can't see a bass stripping all the line off a reel down to the knot...so just make sure you got it attatched reasonably secure and I think you will be fine. If you collapse a whiffle spool, well I'm sure it can happen but I'm also sure it aint easy...

I would like to hook a fish that could collapse a whiffle spool. I think it would be worth the price of the reel.
Old 03-25-08, 08:38 AM   #13
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have to agree with Mr. Smith. Not only do I tie uni to uni for different lines, but I tie uni-knots to the reel.
Old 03-25-08, 12:21 PM   #14
Bob Smith

Aside from the cushioning effect for your reel's drag system, the other reason I use so much backing is to be able to use Braid on multiple reels. I believe it's a waste of expensive line to spool all the way to the spool (I believe someone else has already pointed out that it would indeed be rare for a fish to spool the reel). I used half a spool as a reference point because I know the capabilities of my own equipment and that generally covers every situation with ample safety margin. The only time I have ever gotten to the knot on a cast is after I have the braid on for a couple of years and have continued to cut off or lose line for whatever reason.
I also do this with other lines as well, including mono.
As for the spool collapsing, I believe I heard that before as well, but I have never ever seen it happen personally so the thought never crossed my mind. My reasoning for the cushioning effect is that I have tied to the spool on 2 or 3 occasions when I first started using braid and found that it completely overpowers the drags on most baitcaster reels. I know the stuff is strong but I like to control the fish with the drag and the backing allows me to do that more efficiently than tying directly to the spool.
Old 03-25-08, 01:16 PM   #15
Wishing2BFishing

Zooker, so you tie the Power Pro directly to the spool without any mono for "cushioning"?

Lunk, you mentioned "us[ing] the Arbor Tape which should have been included to tape the PP to the mono" . . . So that is what the tape is for?

Guys, so no one knows anyone personally that collapsed a wiffle spook due to tying the braid directly to the spool? So is the "collapsed spool" a fishing myth?
Old 03-25-08, 01:49 PM   #16
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

W2B,

I, (Buzz Wing or Lunk, whichever you prefer), think that the arbor tape is used to attach the line,[braid], to the spool. I assume you could also use it to attach the braid to mono backing as well though.

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-08, 02:33 PM   #17
flfireman

The only use for tape that I personnally use is I spool off 50 yards or so, then apply a piece of electrical tape. This keeps the braid from digging down deep i nto the spool when I backlash. This way I only screw up half of my line.
Old 03-25-08, 08:06 PM   #18
zooker

Quote:
Zooker, so you tie the Power Pro directly to the spool without any mono for "cushioning"?

Guys, so no one knows anyone personally that collapsed a wiffle spook due to tying the braid directly to the spool? So is the "collapsed spool" a fishing myth?
no backing straight up braid..

i don't think i could crush a wiffle spool if i stood on it..-i weigh 300+- you can bend the shafts pulling against the spool trying to break big pound test braid..

zooker
Old 03-26-08, 12:01 PM   #19
Wishing2BFishing

Zook,

Ok, last few questions (at least on this issue) . . .

You recommend that I tie the Power Pro directly onto the spool andtie through the wiffle holes? I don't need to worry about any cushioning . . .

Also, I purchased 65 lb Power Pro which I believe is the equivalent of 17lb test . . . should I return the 65 and get 50lb instead?

Is the braid fine for pitching? Do you pitch with braid?

Can/Should I use the line treatment that I usually use with mono on the braid?

Any other recommendations regarding the braid?

Thanks for your help . . .
Old 03-26-08, 02:28 PM   #20
Lilmoosecountry

Reel Majic could be used on braid but it really does nothing but clean the line. On Mono it retards the line making it more castable
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-08, 05:34 PM   #21
zooker

Quote:
Zook,

You recommend that I tie the Power Pro directly onto the spool andtie through the wiffle holes? I don't need to worry about any cushioning . . .

yep

Also, I purchased 65 lb Power Pro which I believe is the equivalent of 17lb test . . . should I return the 65 and get 50lb instead?

nope your fine..

i do it all the time..

waste of money

yep retie it about twice a day or if it starts to fray..

nuff said

zooker
Old 03-26-08, 09:05 PM   #22
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

W2B, I know you were asking Zook, but here's my opinion.

when I'm not using backing to save money, I tie my braid directly to the spool. Never heard of anyone crushing the spool.

Honestly, I think that 65 and 50 lb line is overkill, unless you absolutely need it in water with lots of rock and woods. I use nothing over 40lb braid and normally 30lb is my max.

Braid for pitching is fine.

Like Zook said, the line treatment is a waste of money on braid, it's limp and managable enough on its own.

As for retying, I only retie when I change lures, but that's just me. I don't really fish heavy cover though, so if you do, retie more often then me.

BB
Old 03-28-08, 10:34 AM   #23
islandbass

Quote:
Zook,

If you don't tie the braid to the spool as zooker does, then I would highly recommend that you use a mono backing. If you don't the braid will "slip around the spool. Tying the braid through the holes of the spool should prevent the slippage.

I use a mono backing much the same way that Bob Smith does. Mono on the bottom and braid on the top, usually 50 yrds worth of braid. This will enable me to put the braid on a typical reel 3 times or on 3 different rigs.

Spooling the reel with braid completely is not economical for me and the bottom hald of the braid on my spool will never see action (therefore a waste) and if it did, the amount of line will be low enough that casting distance, line recovery and the the drag would be affected. By using a mono backing, my reel's spool will be closer to optimum capacity, no matter how low the braid gets. Just my 2 cents.

Arbor with mono to the spool
tie mono to briad with either the uni to uni or the arbor knots.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.