Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-08-09, 10:23 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Proper knot for braid

I want to add more line to a reel that is spooled with braid. It's gotten a little low over the past year. I've always used the blood knot for splicing mono lines. Will the blood knot work with braid?
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 10:41 PM   #2
nofearengineer

It should. If not, you can always use the "two Uni-knots back to back" thing I use. I know that works...
Old 07-08-09, 11:08 PM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I used to use the albright special, but if you don't tie it exactly right, it slips. I don't think it'll matter for backing to mainline application since that knot will probably never see the light of day, but I have recently switched over to the Double Uni knot like nofear said. I use it for backing to mainline and mainline to leader applications and haven't had any problems yet.

BB
Old 07-08-09, 11:56 PM   #4
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

For braid to braid, I always go albright and then add a drop (a small drop at that) of superglue to the knot before adding the additional line.
Old 07-09-09, 06:48 AM   #5
keithdog

Can anyone post a diagram showing how to tie both the uni knot and the albright knot?
Old 07-09-09, 08:03 AM   #6
Crank-Bait-Frank
BassFishin.Com Active Member

http://www.animatedknots.com/albright/index.php

try this link, keithdog.
Old 07-09-09, 08:39 AM   #7
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank-Bait-Frank View Post
Yes. Great site.

BB
Old 07-09-09, 09:00 AM   #8
Bassboss

I use the uni to uni knot, but I'll use a O ring when ever I can rather than tying the mono to the braid.

and as for the all bright, I hate it for braid, never works for me.
Old 07-09-09, 09:38 AM   #9
nofearengineer

That Albright knot looks easier to tie than the double Uni, but man...it also looks scary, like it would slip. I'd have to try that one out before I had any confidence in it.
Old 07-09-09, 09:47 AM   #10
MississippiBoy

I've used the Albright braid-to-mono, and it's worked fine. It's fairly easy to tie, just keep the wraps neat and organized. I pinch the coils between my fingers as I loop the tag around. Also, make sure the tag goes out of the loop the same way it came in. In other words, the tag lays side-by-side with the standing line.
Old 07-09-09, 02:01 PM   #11
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank-Bait-Frank View Post

That is a great site for learning to the different knots.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-09, 07:14 PM   #12
keithdog

thanks guys, I appreciate it
Old 07-09-09, 11:13 PM   #13
Stew

You really should avoid knoting braid to any other type of line; braid to line knot strengths are notoriously poor.

The exception is if the knot will never see the light of day during either casting or fish-fighting. In that regard, economically-minded, I will often spool 50-75 yards of mono onto a spool before connecting braid to fill the rest of the spool.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-09, 11:42 PM   #14
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I am an Albright fan, but whew, talk about a cussing match the first couple of times you try to tie it. And like Stew, I spool under with mono. Since times are getting tougher, I am also half spooling old or junk line. I am only using the top 40-50 yards anyways. And that leaves about 30-40 yards wrapped until I get to the knot. Might be making a mistake doing so, but money is getting tighter and line is getting higher.
Old 07-10-09, 12:04 AM   #15
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
You really should avoid knoting braid to any other type of line; braid to line knot strengths are notoriously poor.
That is why I prefer the double-Uni splice. It doesn't rely on friction between two types of lines...more of a simple mechanical interference fit.
Old 07-10-09, 03:27 PM   #16
Fishnngolfn

My opinion is the double uni is the best for mono to braid or braid to braid. It is not that difficult to tie. I have done so many times on the bank after some unfortunate tip snags that have caused me to cut and retie. The double uni knot (braid to braid with 4 times through the loop) will easily pass through the guides of the rod without causing any snags or jerks. The double uni knot (mono backing to braid) should never have to go through the guides.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-09, 06:34 PM   #17
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
The double uni knot (braid to braid with 4 times through the loop) will easily pass through the guides of the rod without causing any snags or jerks. The double uni knot (mono backing to braid) should never have to go through the guides.
Totally agree.

Braid to braid is for replacement of gradual line loss.

Braid to mono is just for backing purposes. (Except if you get a fish big enough to strip it off...but at least it's moving fairly slowly in that case. )
Old 07-12-09, 07:44 AM   #18
Lancer6

The J-Knot will work well, very well, and results in very compact knot. A noticeable bump in the spool will be irritating and can contribute to backlashes. Just take only four turns through the loop rather than five or six, moisten as you tighten down EVENLY, and you'll like the result.
Adding a tiny drop of glue after the saliva has thoroughly dried is OK but will not be needed at all unless you anticipate being "spooled" to a point where the knot exits the reel. Even then, given the flex of the rod and the distance from fish to knot, there should be no problem.
I DO recommend pinching both cut ends tightly between thumb and forefinger and melting the ends with a lighter. You might feel a little singeing but there'll be no harm done.

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-09, 03:12 AM   #19
Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
That is why I prefer the double-Uni splice. It doesn't rely on friction between two types of lines...more of a simple mechanical interference fit.
I understand that the core problem is that braid cuts mono irrespective of how they are conjoined, thus the low break strength.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-09, 09:08 AM   #20
BigBassin144

In some cases, yes. But in the case of the double uni, no. The only place where the braid and leader/backing material ever meet is where the line in looped around the other one, and the two ends of the knots once they are drawn tight. and neither of these places can be cut by braid like other knots where the braid and other line may cross or something.

But like others have said before, you never plan on your knot attaching the backing to the mainline to ever see the light of day. So you could pretty much tie a couple overhand knots and be fine. If you don't feel comfortable with a knot, wrap your backing on, put a piece of electrical tape over it, and tie your braid on like you would to a spool. (I use the arbor knot for this)

BB
Old 07-16-09, 10:41 AM   #21
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
That Albright knot looks easier to tie than the double Uni, but man...it also looks scary, like it would slip. I'd have to try that one out before I had any confidence in it.

I've used a Albright knot for years to tie braid to a mono backing, a mono leader to a braid line, and splicing braid to braid. I've had one or two knot failures that were my fault not the knots as I over lapped a few loops. Tied correctly the Albright knot will not slip. I've been broken off right below the knot when I tried to muscle a Hawg into the boat to quickly and the 10 lb mono leader wasn't up to the task.

For me a Albright knot is much easier to tie then a Uni to Uni knot especially when on the boat.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.