Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 09-06-11, 09:58 PM   #1
Fraze5150
BassFishin.Com Member

Question Do any of you use the Minn Kota i-Pilot

I was looking into getting one of those I-Pilots for my new boat. Does anyone here use one or know someone that uses one? I was wondering just how good they are. Do they live up to what they say about them?
I am looking forward to hearing from you all, Thanks
Fraze5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-11, 11:11 AM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Hey Fraze +1 on this question...I know how GPS works and I understand how the tracking and back-tracking would function, but what really interests me more is the "anchoring" feature. I hope someone can share some real world input.
Old 09-07-11, 11:21 AM   #3
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...hlight=terrova

My feelings have not changed since my initial review.
Old 09-07-11, 12:10 PM   #4
Fraze5150
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...hlight=terrova

My feelings have not changed since my initial review.

Sounds great However did the I piolt come already installed on your Terrova or did you buy it as anextra and install it latter?
Because according to Bass Pro Shops you can get the I Piolt for $399 and I think it will fit the Minn Kota trolling motor that comes standered on most of the Tracker boats.
Old 09-07-11, 01:19 PM   #5
nofearengineer

The i-pilot will only work on two models of Minn-Kota: PowerDrive V2 and Terrova. I do notice that you can get a PowerDrive as standard on a few Trackers (I even looked at the 2012 models), but I do not see the "V2" upgraded version. The i-pilot will not work with the old "non-V2" version.

Even the "V2" doesn't allow you to use 100% of the i-pilot's capabilities. For instance, you can not use both the foot pedal and the remote at the same time. Only the Terrova can do this. For the remote to work on a PowerDrive V2, you have to unplug the pedal. And believe me, the remote is very, very handy. I use my Terrova to silent troll, while I sit in the back of the boat...making fine adjustments with the remote.

I got mine factory installed, though it is reportedly a pretty easy owner install as well.

What you can install is the "Auto Pilot," which has some of the functions of the i-pilot, but does not have the "spot lock" anchor function. Autopilot works on many of the other Minn-Kotas.
Old 09-07-11, 09:15 PM   #6
bamabassman

i have seen nofarts troller FIRST hand......LOVE IT!!!
Old 09-07-11, 09:24 PM   #7
Tavery5

I have the powerdrive V2 on my smaller boat, the only comment I will make is that it does take some getting use to. It is very different steering the boat with a digital foot pad, than it is with a cable system. I find it much easier to control the boat with the cable system. On the positive side for the digital system, because the shaft is turned with an electric motor, you can set the trolling motor straight ahead and it will hold its course much better than a cable driven trolling motor.
Old 09-07-11, 11:11 PM   #8
kennethdaysale

I think MG & MK should make the elec steer units configured like the cable pull/pull types ...I have a buddy with the new type and didn't care for it. Of course I didn't like it when they moved the dimmer switch from the left floorboard to the turn signal either. I know the future of everything is in the hands of the young guns now, but still. I don't know the demographics but I'm sure that a large % of high end TM buyers are old school guys.
Old 09-07-11, 11:22 PM   #9
Fraze5150
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
I think MG & MK should make the elec steer units configured like the cable pull/pull types ...I have a buddy with the new type and didn't care for it. Of course I didn't like it when they moved the dimmer switch from the left floorboard to the turn signal either. I know the future of everything is in the hands of the young guns now, but still. I don't know the demographics but I'm sure that a large % of high end TM buyers are old school guys.

You know I liked the dimmer switch on the left floor board also. It was so much easier the old way.
Old 09-12-11, 08:19 AM   #10
Fraze5150
BassFishin.Com Member

How akward is it to control the trolling motor with the remote when your just manuvering around a small area while fishing? Seams to me it would be fairly akward to do however I dont know. Just would like your guys imput.
Thanks

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.