Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 10-08-13, 09:59 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Frogs, a sign as to why.

The year 2013 has probably been the worst year for fishing I have ever experienced. I think a lot had to do with two things. The VERY late spring/long winter. And the weed killing program that was done on all my areas lakes, which was very heavy as virtually all the weeds other than the pads were killed, really messing up the lakes.
A couple days ago I was walking the shoreline at one of my local lakes and I suddenly realized there were no frogs. Normally about every other step has frogs leaping for cover as you walk along the shoreline. Then I realized I have seen virtually no frogs this year! I bet I could count the number of frogs I've seen this year on two hands with fingers left over. I started thinking, few fish and few frogs. Could there be a connection?
I think I will contact the DNR and the local Conservation District who sprayed the lakes and ask if the weed kill program could have a connection to this. Has anyone else noticed a decline in the frog numbers? It can't be good.
Old 10-08-13, 10:57 PM   #2
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Hadn't thought about it but now that you mentioned it.
One of the ponds I fish every spring the shore line would be loaded with tadpoles in spring....this year....NONE, at all.
Plus the mayfly hatch came in Sept.????
Old 10-09-13, 12:31 AM   #3
Jrob78

I haven't noticed any more or less frogs than usual around here. If they killed all the vegetation in your lakes, I would think that would be the main culprit. I'm sure the frogs and the tadpoles rely heavily on the cover, they are sitting ducks without it.

Also, I think some frogs can stay buried in the mud for years at a time. I have no idea what frogs do that but it might be possible that your frogs are still there, just in hibernation.

That's my professional opinion based on my years as a herpetologist.
Old 10-09-13, 06:36 AM   #4
lilmule

For $20 can send you duckweed,coontail,cattails,yellow floating heart and two tree frogs for your aquarium if legal there.Leopard,bull frogs extra.
Gottem all pondweed,alligator weed,pickeral weed,yellow lilly and american lotus,pond next to house-dug by hand and plants added about 70x30x3.5.
If actually taking a trip here and do a harvest yourself no charge.
Hasnt dried up in several years so will drain it next year so can use a front end bucket and deepen,wore my ticker out so not much diggin lately.
Going today to place a deposit on an 8N Ford.Let that be a reminder we all can be replaced lol.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-13, 07:17 PM   #5
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Not as many around here for certain.
Old 10-10-13, 07:35 AM   #6
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I know I read that various DNR agencies were concerned about the drops in frog populations as that was an indicator of a troubled ecosystem.
Old 10-10-13, 01:04 PM   #7
lilmule

Most likly the same dnr that removed the frogs habitat by degrassing.
Any thing we do to mother nature should be in moderation,not clear cutting forests nor removing all of anything.Tends to effect those that thrive in it-duh
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.