Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-20-11, 07:13 AM   #1
tmcwhitt
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Navionics Hotmaps Premium East

I sold a Navionics Hotmaps Premium to a friend of mine and it wont work in his unit. I have Lowrance HDS units and it will work fine in my unit. I have a drop down menu and I can choose the (Ky-Tn) map and everything works. He has a Humminbird 998c and the only option we find in his is auto and it will not automatically choose the correct map on the chip. Are there maps that wont work in both brands?

Tom
tmcwhitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-11, 08:19 AM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Yes as different formats,when purchasing make sure its for your brand of electronics.
Even some lowrance wont interchange as old units read bmp,like global map.
Each as well has its own lil problems like bird not reading a saved waypoint map,he needs a bird version to read it.
Yes would be nice if they all used the same wouldnt it,but then couldnt charge you an arm and a leg for another map as could get one off your buddy.
Its usage is pretty much restricted to lowrance and types that use the same format,unless your a comp whiz with enc or similar program.
The hotmaps themselves have other problems the ky/tn has only a few miles of tn ky lake in it,the other 70 percent of the lake isnt in it,stops just past paris landing.You then need a southern portion which stops at I40,and if south of that a third chip containing or called the river section.
When buying bird preloaded with gold is a great idea.The gold or platnum chip can be had in eastern and has it all,and contains much more than the standard hot maps.

Last edited by lilmule; 11-20-11 at 08:28 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-11, 10:28 AM   #3
bassboogieman

Mine work. I have a couple Navionics chips that I used in my previous Lowrance GPS, and they also work in my current 'bird 1197. My 'bird has the auto read, so your pal should check his owner's manual. On AUTO, mine looks for a chip and if none is found it defaults back to the internal maps. I'm not digging my owner's manual and looking it up, as I don't remember if the card slots are specific in their purposes. I think they will both read an SD card, but I'm not certain. The left side slot may be for a blank SD memory card for the units use in storing information - I don't remember, but your pal can look it up. You could also IM the Humminbird guru (Dave?), sorry I don't recall his name for certain either, but he has a current posting up, so should not be to difficult to find him. He knows all there is to know about those units off the top of his head.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-11, 02:15 PM   #4
lilmule

A great many do interchange as most read two formats but pays to read the model numbers and somewhat depends upon the nav chip be it gold or platnum or hotmaps.
DeLormie included,some however cannot or cant run gold or platnum.
Think mmc/sd being the reason.
Yet many switch from one to another with little or no problems
Think the above post was a hint check user manual.There is a place under the menu settings for mmc/sd card,Only have older ones myself a 785c2i and 755c.When you pick a nav chip out on navionics web site underneath is a long list of what it does work on and some just wont interchange like older units or special made ones

Last edited by lilmule; 11-20-11 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-23-11, 10:49 AM   #5
Halfmoon
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Halfmoon
Default like +++

very very nice, bravo!
Halfmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-12, 02:13 PM   #6
syd
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I am going to Kentucky Lake end of april for a week. (were going to guntersville but that changed). So the way i see this is my Navonics east chip which is about 5 years old (goes in Lowrance 520) is probably not going to work on most of Kentucky Lake correct.
If so thanks for the heads up
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-12, 02:33 PM   #7
lilmule

Gold works for whole lake,fishing hotspots stops shortly south of Big Sandy,Paris Landing area and about 2nd -3rd week is peak spawn,last of the month can be tail end of it or past normally yet at times like last year it was strung out due to spring flooding.
Anyone can launch never get on plane toss a t rig worm greenpumkin,watermelon red or plum or greenpumkin bushog and have 50 plus days,trick is keeping the buck bass off.
The fishing hotspots will work fine from paris landing tn ,north to the dam.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.