Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-05, 02:34 PM   #1
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd
Default Ok. Â*I'm cheap. Â*I admit it.

Stopped at Wally World this morning to get some oil and filters, and took a stroll through the tackle dept as usual. Ummm Owner hooks, 1/0 offset worm wide gap, 6 pack. Regular price $3.48. On sale $1.50. I'll take a few of those.

Now. I know you folks all use those high dollar reels, but again I'm sort of cheap. Zebco Rhino casting reels. My wife, Misty's got one. Pretty good reel for $35.00 bucks. On sale for $15.00. I'll take a couple of them too at that price. Wouldda got a couple more, to keep for spares, but they only had the 2. Told Misty to stop by the other store and see if they had any for that price.

Now I need to go to Gander Mountain to see if I can find a couple cheap rods.

Low-profile design
Smooth machine-cut slolid brass gears
6.2:1 high-speed gear ratio
3 stainless-steel bearings
Rhino fine-click, star-adjustable, disk drag system
Continuous anti-reverse, bayonet-snap side plate
Magnetic cast-control system
Block-cut, aluminum, oversized power handle
Soft-touch crank knobs
Line capacity: 165 yards of 12-pound test line
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-05, 05:37 PM   #2
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20
Default Re: Ok. Â*I'm cheap. Â*I admit it.

OOPS!!. You had me sold on it till you mentioned the magnetic brake. Don't like em, don't use em. I get better results with a Centrifugal brake and my thumb.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-05, 06:37 PM   #3
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Hey cheap is not a bad thing. I do most of my purchasing in the clearance and sale bins. I just bought a bunch at BPS the other day, Why? It was all on sale.
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-05, 07:24 PM   #4
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

o ya bass pro sure did have some nice lures on sale. almost all for 99 cents. the baitmonkey almost sh*t his pants he was so excited. unfortunatly i only had a dollar one me cause me and my stepdad were out there lookin for fishing pole combos. im goin out there tomorrow with 136 dolllars with 120 of it going to a new penn spinfisher combo and the rest is going to a black jitterrbug and alot of CHEAP lures that are on sale.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-05, 09:14 PM   #5
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Cajun, I got the same Owner hooks on sale here in NY.I didn't look at the reels because I am guilty of using high dollar reels.If you want me look here for you I will ? I also went to bass pro shop today ,bought 1 Lil' Hustler 1/2 oz jig and a bargin bin Wordens timber tiger crankbait. Those 2 items didn't even kill a $5.00 bill. ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-05, 09:31 PM   #6
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks but that's Ok P&J. Â*I appreciate the offer, but I got about a dozen Wally Worlds around here, and I'm going down to BPS in Hampton tomorow.

And nothing wrong with the high end reels. I've got a few old ones left over from the "old days".
Old 02-11-05, 10:56 PM   #7
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re: Ok.  I'm cheap.  I admit it.

[quote author=CajunBass link=board=MessBoards;num=1108143255;start=0#0 date=02/11/05 at 12:34:15]Stopped at Wally World this morning to get some oil and filters, and took a stroll through the tackle dept as usual. Ummm Owner hooks, 1/0 offset worm wide gap, 6 pack. Regular price $3.48. On sale $1.50. I'll take a few of those.

[/quote]

Well I'm going to Wally world tommorrow if they got that deal, I'll buy em out If you could see the drool coming off my mouth right now, heck maybe I better go right now! I have some of the Rhino spincasters, which I think is an OUTSTANDING deal. Mostly I use them when it's really cold, or my dad or brother use them.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-05, 11:26 PM   #8
fishinmusician
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishinmusician

LOL! I guess you can't beat a $15.00 price tag!
fishinmusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-05, 01:27 AM   #9
TheBassMan
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to TheBassMan

Lizards, are you going to the Boat, Sport and Travel show here in Indy. It is a fishing paradise.....Everything you could ever want......I always come home and have to eat rice for the next week after I get through with that place.....

Catch em up
Brian
TheBassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-05, 08:11 AM   #10
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=TackleTester link=board=MessBoards;num=1108143255;start=0#8 date=02/11/05 at 23:27:02]Lizards, are you going to the Boat, Sport and Travel show here in Indy. It is a fishing paradise.....Everything you could ever want......I always come home and have to eat rice for the next week after I get through with that place.....

Catch em up
Brian[/quote]

Yeah I usually go every year, this year should be no different. As for the fishing stuff, well it's OK, but it's more guided stuff than actual fishing equipment. I would rather spend the day at BPS if I was looking for more gear, which is a constant with me and my monkey

Lizards
Old 02-12-05, 09:00 AM   #11
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

They had the Gamakatsu offset shank worm RB hooks for $1.50 a pack also, I only bought 1 pack because I got the last remaining packs of the Owner hooks.For any one fishing small aluminum boats, or hand held tolling motors, They had the Bigfoot switch on clearence for $5.50.They are a really good item to have,it allows you to run the trolling motor by foot control without using your hands while fishing. P N J
Old 02-12-05, 10:19 PM   #12
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

My wife and I drove down to the Bass Pro Shops in Hampton, Virginia today. We spent about 3 hours there. Mostly just walking around and looking at "stuff". We didn't buy a lot of stuff, but we did get 3 Graphite series rods. (The "cheap" ones, naturally) Since I've gone back to setting down to fish all the time, I've found I like a pistol grip rod for most of my fishing, so I got a couple of those, 5-6 med action. Misty got a 6' med for Carolina Rigging. Picked up a few crankbaits and she got some wild bird feeding "stuff". I can't convince her that the birds will not starve to death if she doesn't feed them. If you know any freeloading birds, send them up this way. Misty will be glad to see them.
She also said she found a "little something special" in the ladies dept. She said I'd probably like it later. I have no idea what that could be.
Old 02-12-05, 11:57 PM   #13
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

oooooooooooooooo cajun u kno what that means woooooooooooooooooooohooooooooo ;D have fun with it man whatb did u do to the bait monkey ??? u would think he would of pulled a few more things out of u
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 07:48 AM   #14
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

I just don't see many baits anymore that I like. Most of the new stuff on the market looks "goofy" or is some "goofy" color. I've got a bunch of Rebel Wee R's and Bomber Model A's, and all the spinnerbaits and buzzbaits I need. I mostly fish Charlie Brewer Sliders, and Zoom Centipeed Worms. I've got plenty of them. Plenty of sinkers and hooks.

We actually went down looking for new seats on the boat. Found some that will do, but wheren't quite what I wanted. I'm going to look around some more, if I can't find anything more to my liking, I'll order a set of these from BPS.

When I comes to bass fishing tackle, they didn't have much more or anything different than the local place I shop, Greentops. They had a lot of stuff like camping, cooking, clothing, and stuff like that, but for just bass fishing tackle, Greentops is right there with them. Might even have more variety really. Most of BPS's stuff is their own brand, which is ok, and understandable.
Old 02-13-05, 05:36 PM   #15
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Cajun, I went to Walmart today and looked for the Rhino reels but they didn't have any. They have Zookers favorites, Quantum MG 1310 s with the mag gears clearanced for $21.00 They are normally $54.99 here. I had a hard time not buying them them all, but as I said Zooker is the only one I know that uses them any more. P N J
Old 02-13-05, 08:50 PM   #16
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=pig_n_jig link=board=MessBoards;num=1108143255;start=0#14 date=02/13/05 at 15:36:40]Cajun, I went to Walmart today and looked for the Rhino reels but they didn't have any. They have Zookers favorites, Quantum MG 1310 s with the mag gears clearanced for $21.00 They are normally $54.99 here. I had a hard time not buying them them all, but as I said Zooker is the only one I know that uses them any more. P N J[/quote]

Well I found the same, however I didn't look for zooker's reel. There were NO Bargain bins >. Of course I did get 4 of the Mann's -1 in four different colors. I also bought a couple more XRAP's from Rapala The one in Blue Gill I couldn't pass up, it really looked as good as I've seen, my monkey got loose, and I had to smile, while the wife was off looking for other stuff ;D

Lizards
Old 02-13-05, 08:51 PM   #17
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Different stores have different things P&J. I haven't seen anymore since the ones I bought. I guess I just walked in at the right time. Haven't seen the hooks on sale either.
Old 02-14-05, 01:10 AM   #18
gallenl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gallenl

Hey Cajun , is greentop not the best . Still to this day i have to drive from Fairfax to Richmond just to find a good sporting goods store. It kills me , seems like the place to go......

flippin4it
gallenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-05, 04:23 AM   #19
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

It's pretty hard to beat Greentops I gotta admit. Next time you head that way, roll off 95, at the Rt-3 Culpepper exit, and go west a few (8? 10?) blocks and look for the big Gander Mountain store. They seem to be pretty decent too. I haven't bought much from them, because Greentops is more convient for me even though the Gander Mountain is a lot closer. I have to drive to Richmond every day on the way to work, so I go right by Greentops.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.