Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-13-11, 09:22 AM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Pre cold front fishing.?.

Ok, went fishing this morning,4-4:30ish, 68 degrees air temp., breeze not really a wind coming in from the north. Quit at about 7:30, air temp.-57 degrees, wind from north 15mph with gusts. What a change, huh? I would like to hear everyones feelings about pre- cold front fishing. Temp. yesterday 82 degrees and we have frost warnings for Wed. and Thurs. nights, Welcome to Wisconson!
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-11, 09:56 AM   #2
lilmule

82 Is or was fairly warm for that far north,for or by second week of sept can have a killing frost in southern ohio.
Cold fronts here on ky lake make the bite slower when out of the north they tend to hug structure or cover,with flipping in order.
Doubt if it effects the northern bass quite as much as it does southern ones and other species it shouldnt at all like pike,muskie from that locale.
Im in buchanan tn other night got down to 49,most nights in the high fifties,result is its dropping lake temp and making them bite a tad,and 15 mph would be welcome in gusts,from nov on it will blow 16-18 steady with 30mph gusts till late march early april,with the occasional front or storm moving thru,producing more.
My own experience is a north wind shuts down fish in the spring not always in the fall.
A miami bass it effects much more than one from osh kosh wis,and could actually trigger a fall feeding bite,after they get used to the change,say 24 hrs-to 36,nothing happens instantly.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-11, 02:50 PM   #3
mrmuskie5
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Yeah come on youre in wis GO GET THOSE SKI'S! lol. no but really i would be slowing way down if you are targeting lg mouth but if its bronze backs fast moving jerkbait would be my go to.
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-11, 05:42 PM   #4
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Ok, went fishing this morning,4-4:30ish, 68 degrees air temp., breeze not really a wind coming in from the north. Quit at about 7:30, air temp.-57 degrees, wind from north 15mph with gusts. What a change, huh? I would like to hear everyones feelings about pre- cold front fishing. Temp. yesterday 82 degrees and we have frost warnings for Wed. and Thurs. nights, Welcome to Wisconson!
111 degree temperature swing is just too extreme for me. I think I'll stay in the Carolinas.
Old 09-13-11, 06:25 PM   #5
bassboogieman

I think your "1" key got stuck.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-11, 08:11 PM   #6
SaminVa
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Scrounger head & chatterbaits fished slower than usual... Red eyed shad raced over grass beds to get a reaction strike.. My son caught 4 this weekend... a 4.5# a 3# & two 2# with the 3/4 red eyed in gold on a pre-cold front conditions... I like jigs as well. Sam
Old 09-13-11, 10:39 PM   #7
joedog

Kenneth, no just 58, I some times type in dark, you get screenlight, 19jns screen so it's ok. sorry! Have a geat week!
Old 09-13-11, 11:03 PM   #8
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Normally when you have a cold front move through your looking at clear blue skies, and a rising barometer. Bass generally clam up and move tight to cover. If you have a lot of wind though, I find that helps reduce the effects of a cold front. I fish near the shoreline thats getting battered by waves.

Last edited by keithdog; 09-14-11 at 06:11 PM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-11, 06:01 PM   #9
joedog

Kieth you hit the skys perfect! Ok this is what I did. Went thru numerous creature baits, worms, jigs and lipples cranks trying to unlock the pattern. I got to thinking about all the great advice given to me on my "fall frenzy" dellema frogs, bottom or deeper (only fishing 8ft waters), anyways this is what I came up with. Took quarter oz. Terminator finesse jig no skirt (lost on another outting) and took a Yum Woolie Bully trailor,( it' a flipping trailer kind like the beavers only 1/4in maybe little longer legs with nubs on the ends instead of flaps). Shore fishing so I cast it a distance 30 yards plus and hopped it back, 3 hops and a fish! I ended up catching 14 in about an hour and a half. No monsters but none smaller than twelve, none larger than 15in. Went back this mornig, air temp 46, no wind just breeze slammed 10, in an hour. Now I'm going to try late afternoon into dusk and see if I found a pattern or "fall frenzy" or I just got lucky. Oh ya tossed the jig ( ya I READ THE THREAD ON RE-TYING ) I originally started with and replaced with the same jig only left skirt on, no better no worse.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.