Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-04-07, 03:31 PM   #1
BiGMiZzLe410
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to BiGMiZzLe410
Question Gary Yamamoto Senkos

if you guys havent tried out this bait i suggest you do.....i usually use the watermelon or pumpkin color.....i rig it wacky style with a hook right through the middle of it...anyone else use this? or does anyone know of any other good colors or ways of rigging it?
BiGMiZzLe410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-07, 05:06 PM   #2
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

The whole bass fishing world knows
BassMoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-07, 05:24 PM   #3
bubba bass bigfoot
BassFishin.Com Active Member

They dont work for me. There is only one spot where fish will bite them, thats all. All other spots nothing. Im not a big fan.
bubba bass bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-07, 06:04 PM   #4
bassfisher02
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Yeah i bought some a long time ago... but my deal with them is that they are so over priced. I can go get 2 bags of tiki stiks for the same price and catch just as many, if not more fish.
Old 07-05-07, 07:18 AM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Where I fish it is pretty weedy, so I rig mine Texas style. They are a great lure. But I'm with Bassfisher02 on this one. I use Tiki sticks most of the time. Cheeper and catch just as many.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-07, 08:55 AM   #6
Twinsprtsfan
BassFishin.Com Member

Well, I keep hearing how they work great, but I have not had any success with them yet either. I have tried them wacky and Texas rigged(both weighted and weightless) but have not had any luck. When I put on the worms I usually use I get hits.

Maybe I am not using them correctly. Any tips on how to fish them?
Old 07-05-07, 10:25 AM   #7
brushhog

I have very little luck with senko and much luck with Yum stuff, same colors and presentation. The Yum stuff is about half the price on sale... I think a lot of it goes back to many other threads - you fish best with what you are most confident with!
Old 07-05-07, 10:30 AM   #8
Rebbasser

I never really bought into the Senko hype until last Saturday. See my "OK, I'm sold" post in the message board section for further details. They are a bit expensive and fragile, but they flat catch fish. Just another weaapon in the arsenal.

Rigging: T-rig, Wacky, C-rig-take your pick. I talked to a guy the other day that caught a 7-something on a C-rigged swimming Senko. He said he adds a piece of styrofoam to the hook to make it float behhind the weight-going to have to try that one.
Old 07-05-07, 10:36 PM   #9
Christopherkeene9

Tiki it up in red shad laminated. Gary's are too expensive and less economical to me when compared to tiki's.
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-07, 11:46 PM   #10
keithdog

That red shad laminated Tiki stick is the bomb!!!!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-07, 12:08 AM   #11
hackattack

my go-to bait! strike king zeros are good but if ya got the money nothing beats the original...I get at most one fish per bait on GY's...they are about as durable as a tissue
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-07, 12:12 PM   #12
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I think that the Senko works better than other brands because of it's weak composition. The action is awesome as you rip the hook right through it by just shaking it. They come to about $.75 each, if I won the lottery I'd buy them all the time.

All versions of the bait work well, the cheapest ones come to like $.04 each., and I have the utmost confidence in every copied version of the Senko.

My song for every time I catch one on a senko-style bait: "Thank you very much-o, Gary Yamamoto!"
Old 07-06-07, 02:00 PM   #13
patchino22

I have tried the tiki's, the yums, and the Senko's. The Senko's are by far the most effective. I find with the other knock off brands that they will use a cheaper mold. The Yamamoto's are a nice thick plastic composite. Basically they sit stiffer on the hook than the other brands. This is important for getting the right action on the bait. If you rig it up wrong, the knock offs will slide out of place and you wont get the action that you are supposed to get. This is especially important when fishing texas rigged. If you fish wacky, it doesnt make much difference. Beware of the Kanami's you will find at WalMart. They may be made by Gary Yamamoto Enterprises, but they are a perfect example of the flimsy plastic that I have referred to here.
patchino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-07, 03:10 PM   #14
Wishing2BFishing

My song for every time I catch one on a senko-style bait: "Thank you very much-o, Gary Yamamoto!"[/quote]

Patrick, you brought a smile to my face . . . I take it that you are singin' your tune to Styx "Mr. Roboto". Next time I am cathin on the Yamis I will borrow your little jingle.

Oh, and I agree that Senkos are good stuff but I think they often out perform other stickbaits because they have the most salt and as such, better sinkin' action and castability. However, there have been times that the Dingers, MagicSticks, Kinamis, Tikis, ect have done better for me (perhaps because the fish wanted something that sank at a slower rate). Just my two cents on the subject . . .
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-07, 05:51 AM   #15
George_Welcome

"Beware of the Kanami's you will find at WalMart. They may be made by Gary Yamamoto Enterprises, but they are a perfect example of the flimsy plastic that I have referred to here."

Same plastic, same molds, same process, same factory, same machines.
Same bait.
Old 07-09-07, 11:12 AM   #16
patchino22

"Same plastic, same molds, same process, same factory, same machines.
Same bait."

George W.--I would be interested in how you know this. I am not disagreeing with you, just interested in some proof. I believe that they are probably produced at the same factory, same machines, same process, but there is definitely a difference in the feel between the two molds. Kanami's are significantly softer than the real senko's. I have compared them several times. Perhaps it is the old brewing technique where they sell the good stuff at a premium and the bad leftover batch under a different name and for a cheaper price. That would make a lot more sense from a business standpoint.......and would make sense why you can find Kanami's at Wally World and not real Senko's. There has to be a difference.
Old 07-10-07, 10:17 AM   #17
Wishing2BFishing

As a side note, I believe the Kinami's come in packs of 8 and Senkos are sold in packs of 10. Nevertheless, I still believe that the Senkos have more salt and sink faster than the other stickbaits.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-07, 04:40 PM   #18
Snake2715

I love senkos. I am newer to soft palstics but they outperform all other soft plastics I have used. I also seem to think there is a difference with Senkos and Kanami's.

Tikis are up there as well.
Old 07-10-07, 07:13 PM   #19
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchino22 View Post
Same bait."

George W.--I would be interested in how you know this. I am not disagreeing with you, just interested in some proof. I believe that they are probably produced at the same factory, same machines, same process, but there is definitely a difference in the feel between the two molds. Kanami's are significantly softer than the real senko's. I have compared them several times. Perhaps it is the old brewing technique where they sell the good stuff at a premium and the bad leftover batch under a different name and for a cheaper price. That would make a lot more sense from a business standpoint.......and would make sense why you can find Kanami's at Wally World and not real Senko's. There has to be a difference.
Pachino, for what it is worth, according to the July 2007 FLW Outdoors Magazine, and I quote:

"Kinami is a Yammamoto sister company that pours the Flash into the same mold using the same ingredients that go into the Senko. The only difference is the Flash is available in a few different colors."

Sounds like the same baits to me. I'm not doubting you, just reporting what the so called "authorities" say.
Old 07-11-07, 04:27 PM   #20
patchino22

Thanks Reb. I needed some clarification on that.

Wishin2BFishin--you make a good point.....8 in one and 10 in the other. That makes sense when it comes to price.
Old 07-16-07, 11:52 PM   #21
hackattack

I tried some kinamis and they weigh like half as much (literally) as a GY...

im confused!
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-07, 08:54 PM   #22
Bass'n Gal
BassFishin.Com Member

IMHO, I feel the Senkos are the better bait. I to have tried the Yums and the Tiki Sticks and don't get me wrong, but I feel the Senkos have a better fall action on them which attreacts the bites. Expensive? Yes....But worth the price when it comes T time.
Old 07-21-07, 05:32 AM   #23
George_Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchino22 View Post
Same bait."

Haven't had a chance till now to follow up on this - As a rep and promoter. I have been with GYCB for many years now. As I said before - same baits. Both are made with the same stringent quality control.
Old 07-21-07, 07:28 AM   #24
FlyRod

I like the Stinko...errr....Senkos well enough, having caught numerous bass thereon. I've had some remarkable days throwing the Watermelon/Pearl 4-incher, rigged wackified on a 2/0 Gamakatsu Weedless Finesse hook.
I always take a black marker and modify the lure with some black spots down either side...Voila! Baby Bass!
Still, there's one Tiki Stik that has performed admirably, that being the 5" Black/Blue Swirl. When fishing pre-dawn darkness this one, T-rigged with a surgically-inserted tiny rattle, is a killer. I generally fish it on a 7' Medium Spin Rod, Quantun Ti-Mag spooled with #30 braid, and a 6' foot (+-) P-line CFX Fluoro leader. Hook? Either 3/0 or 4/0 'katsu EWG.
Other Tikis I have known and loved include the Watermelon/Black flake, Green Pumpkin/Chartruese, Watermelon/Red flake, and a couple of others.
In ultra-clear water, I might toss the 4" Tikis rather than the 4" Senko.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-07, 06:43 PM   #25
pig n jig

I think the senko is worth having for a different rate of fall, switch up brands and see which works better for the day. is my go to color. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.