Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-05-09, 08:22 PM   #26
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Yeah, it sits almost vertically. those things also cast a mile!

BB
Old 05-05-09, 08:32 PM   #27
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Yeah, it sits almost vertically. those things also cast a mile!

BB
Thanks BB!

I think I actually have one, or at least some thing like, it may be and XPS version, but what ever the case, I'll probably get one some time or an other!
Old 05-05-09, 11:29 PM   #28
DDM
BassFishin.Com Member

Try a spinner bait. The color is Okeechobee Special. You can get this color in several brands. Works great
DDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 11:11 AM   #29
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I use a beer 'n egg dip, then corn meal, and hot oil.
Well, that's what I use when Bluegill are MY main food.
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 02:10 PM   #30
BassAddict

I'm surprised if you haven't fished a Zoom Fluke in that pond yet. Watermelon with a chartruse dyed tail. You can fish it slower than a crankbait and just deadstick it. Those fat, lazy ol bass will eat a fluke for sure! Also as others said with the topwater. I'd buzzzzzzzbait that pond to death and also throw a Spro Frog. Looks like a nice little spot!!
Old 05-06-09, 02:17 PM   #31
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAddict View Post
I'm surprised if you haven't fished a Zoom Fluke in that pond yet. Watermelon with a chartruse dyed tail. You can fish it slower than a crankbait and just deadstick it. Those fat, lazy ol bass will eat a fluke for sure! Also as others said with the topwater. I'd buzzzzzzzbait that pond to death and also throw a Spro Frog. Looks like a nice little spot!!
Ya, I've been broke and fluke less for a long time, I've been asking my dad the last 5 TIMES we all went to gander to get some, but he never dose??

I'll get some soon!
Old 05-06-09, 02:26 PM   #32
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

No self respecting pond bass will leave a Fluke unattended for long.

Get Super Flukes/Superfluke Jr, Shad Assasins or Shaddicks, those have a groove in the middle of the belly making it easier to maintain the hook right along the middle line. 3,4/0 EWG hook and you are ready to catch Žem.

When you fish these kind of jerkbaits do not set the hook immediately !, wait until you feel the fish or until you see the line moving and then set the hook, otherwise youŽll rip away the bait from the fish, the fish has to mouth the bait.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 02:39 PM   #33
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
No self respecting pond bass will leave a Fluke unattended for long.

Get Super Flukes/Superfluke Jr, Shad Assasins or Shaddicks, those have a groove in the middle of the belly making it easier to maintain the hook right along the middle line. 3,4/0 EWG hook and you are ready to catch Žem.

When you fish these kind of jerkbaits do not set the hook immediately !, wait until you feel the fish or until you see the line moving and then set the hook, otherwise youŽll rip away the bait from the fish, the fish has to mouth the bait.
Thanks man! My friend (bassattack) swears by them, it's like all he uses!
Old 05-06-09, 02:50 PM   #34
Raul

I hate fishing with soft plastics, the only soft plastic I like are jerkbaits because I can fish them fast, they produce consistently and they are a lot of fun. No wonder why your friend likes them.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-09, 12:14 AM   #35
hookset on 3
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Hey man if you're trying topwaters, pick on an XCalibur (no E in the beginning) Jimmy. It's my favorite walk-the-dog bait. Walks much easier than a zara spook or a rapala skitterwalk, and it cheaper than a LC Sammy.

BB
Hey BB, Cabela's has the X-Jimmy's on sale $9.99 down from $12.99.
I haven't tried any of the Xcalibur line,do you think they are worth it. I use Yo-zuri,Diawa, River2Sea.

Let me know
Thanks Hook
Old 05-15-09, 09:59 AM   #36
sac

A buddy of mine always use live blue gill at a certain pond. I brought my girls with me once so they could blue gill fish and he had them catching live bait for him They had fun..... live bait WORKS that's for sure.

Have you thought about these live looking baits? They are pretty pricey but look pretty real to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TruTungstenTruLifeSwimbaits.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	3557  
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-09, 02:08 PM   #37
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac View Post
A buddy of mine always use live blue gill at a certain pond. I brought my girls with me once so they could blue gill fish and he had them catching live bait for him They had fun..... live bait WORKS that's for sure.

Have you thought about these live looking baits? They are pretty pricey but look pretty real to me.

Thanks! I'll save up for one, I just don't wanna spend 50 bucks on one!
Old 05-16-09, 12:00 AM   #38
sac

The 4" are $20. Check it out......or use a live one for free

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st..._SearchResults
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-09, 05:15 PM   #39
Bob Smith

When the bluegill are up shallow (spawning or otherwise), bass are often up there to take advantage of the easy pickins'! MY goto in these conditions are a weightless Zoom Super Fluke in Watermelon/Red flk with the tail spiked in Chartreuse. I fish this on a 3/0 Gammakatsu round bend hook. Twitch it in irregular movements, sometimes slow and sometimes rapidly. If the wind is blowing you may want to insert a BPS nail weight between the hook eye and the point just under the backbone of the fluke (I usually use a nail weight anyway, but only half of it, makes casting the bait a lot easier anytime). The beauty of this rig is that it is weedless and that pond looks to have plentyof vegetation. Another biat you may want to consider are the Zoom Horny Toads or other imitations and reel that thing right over the vegetation on top and get those legs to kickin up some water. Hold On because the strikes can be vicious!
Old 05-20-09, 12:19 AM   #40
Rebbasser

BB, there are a LOT of baits designed to look like bluegills. The color firetiger is the granddaddy. You want to use something that has bluegill colors-firetiger, watermelon red, etc. Take a look at a bluegill-they have green, bronze, chartreuse, blue, orange-quite a few colors. Any bait with those colors will work. A Bandit 100 0r 200 in bluegill color is one of my go-to baits.
Old 05-20-09, 12:45 AM   #41
NWOhioBear
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to NWOhioBear

Awesome information. I've been to about 8 ponds and quarries so far this year and nearly all of them were just full of blue gill. One I was at a few days ago I saw 3 or 4 bass(believe they were) chase the bait fish into the shallows. I would love to use some real ones unfortunately that's illegal here. So tomorrow I think i am going to go buy some of those first ones showed with maybe a lil more vibrant colors. Thanks a ton though.
NWOhioBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-09, 12:59 AM   #42
BassinID

Artificials are better than live bait in my book any day for bass. Keep the recourse for future generations
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-09, 01:35 PM   #43
everettvet

There is a local pond that I fish a lot when I cannot make it to the big lake. Bluegill is the primary food source. I have caught a lot of bass on plastics that look nothing like a bluegill. I use carolina rigs with baby brush hogs and texas rigged worms and craws. By the way, never seen a crawfish within a mile of this pond. Matching the forage is a great idea, but I think in ponds something a little different can be good.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-09, 03:05 PM   #44
Bassboss

Cool! Thanks for the help guys! I'll look at the bandits!
Old 05-20-09, 07:56 PM   #45
NWOhioBear
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to NWOhioBear

Just so you guys know the bluegill/sunfish down south have much more vibrant color schemese then the bluegill we normally have in most ponds up north. I went and bought a 4 types/colors today of crankbaits today.. 2 really bright styles and 2 more natural to the fish around. I noticed they really liked the bright ones over the natural.

I didn't get any really good ones but i had a few smaller ones and a couple larger track in just didn't hit.
NWOhioBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-09, 10:45 PM   #46
toppwatr

i would try a 2-4 inch storm swimming bluegill. or you could try a zoom watermelon fluke with the tail dyed chartreuse.
toppwatr is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.