Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-08-13, 06:30 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Cranks......?

Well I decided to learn cranks this year.
Just like hairpin spinners....they NEVER seem to work with even close to the success rate others seem to have.
Now I've caught a few....mostly under legal but I don't think I've ever caught more then ONE fish during an outting.
I've had some follows but I'm almost ready to put them in a box with the hair pins and forget about them.
Hair pins and cranks seem like they should be one of the easiest baits to throw......not for me.
Most know I research and TRY most everything and anything.
I got Bandits, Strike kings, Rapalas, Xcalibures (sp) and many, many more brands.I've got every depth imaginable but the waters I fish I usually throw 7 ft or less divers.
I got floaters, sinkers, slow sinking. Fast sinking. Slow floating. Fast floating and everything in between.
I got sexy shad colors, perch colors, blue gill colors, blue and silver, green and white, craw colored Live Targets and almost every color imagineable.

Now I've had tremendous success with lipless and have fished them for a long time but to me they are closer to a blade bait than a true crank.
I've burned them. I've stop and reeled them. I've straight reeled them,fast and slow. I've reeled them with just a minute pause and longer pauses. I've slow reeled floaters similar to wake baits. (which I also have numerous) I've dragged them churning the bottom, usually square bills for this. I've swam them just above the grass and/or vegatation. I've fished them through and along lay downs. I even have Raps that I've ripped through sparse vegatation.
I may have seen EVERY U tube video made on the subject.

Before I throw in the towel I thought I'd ask you anglers.
I'm not really interested in getting more, but maybe would consider.
So I'm really asking technique solutions more than brand solutions seeing I have almost every brand already.

First question and as usual I have many, is...don't they all spring the trebles up and out of the way when you hit limbs, rocks, ect., like a square bill does. I know a square bill may do it better but they all do it, right?
Second, isn't fall a good time for cranks seeing the bass should be school feeding?
The waters I've fished are more shallow than deep so square bills to about 6 foot divers to me seem to be the best for me.

Now I'm looking for ALL ideas, not just the two questions. That's just a starting point.

*oh I may have multiple cranks I'm willing to part with soon, CHEAP *

Last edited by joedog; 10-08-13 at 06:40 PM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.