Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-15-09, 02:21 PM   #1
swimbaitkid
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Swimbaits?

Do any of you guys throw swimbaits, I'm from out West and I throw'em all the time, but down south nobody fishs them, everybody is a powerfisherman down here, they never go big or super finesse?
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 04:52 PM   #2
Tall

Well I will some day get some after reading the Big Bass Zone Book.

Tell us how you use them. Four of us on here fish a lake that the next state record may come from (Arkansas) and I think that the large swim baits may be just the trick. I am still trying to beat the nine pound mark. I have been broken off a couple times that may have made it but how knows.

The Big Bass Zone Book has some suggestions and I would like to try them when I get some of the high dollar baits.

What brand and type of swim bait do you like and tell us how you used them to get a big one or two in the boat? The word is beginning to spread here about them but till I read well 3/4 through the BBZ book I really did not know how I would use them.

If I had some I would be trying them in the next couple three weeks down at Monticello.
CHRIST loves you and died for you John 3:16
Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 05:41 PM   #3
swimbaitkid

I use a bunch of different ones, I have about $300 worth of swimbaits, they all have there place, and I have had days with them when you catch a ton of fish, one day I would of had a 25lb limit(no joke) They are addictive, once you catch a couple of fish with them you dont want to put it down. then I have had days were I haven't had a bite in 10 hours, I would say mix it up with retreive's, usually a slow steady retreive will get them, but when I fished weedlines on lakes I would crank it 5-6 times and kill it, the smallie's would nail it, and pay ATTENTION for follower's, I have caught 4-5lbers next to the boat, when they follow, you have to make the desion to kill it or speed it up and hope for the best, and line doesn't matter(I mean braid, Mono, or Flouro) when that big fish locks on, the line is the last thing on there mind, all they want to do is kill it.
Old 03-15-09, 07:08 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Up here in northern Indiana, swimbaits are rarely seen. I think that will change now that Spro and TruTungstin are comming out with smaller 4 inch versions now. I'm thhinking about picking one up and trying it out.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 07:09 PM   #5
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I own some but have yet to really get into throwing them much the smaller ones would be the way to go for me up here.

jim
Old 03-15-09, 07:14 PM   #6
aikenyounggun

yeah swimbaitkid knows his stuff about swimbaits.... i would say a little more than 300$ wouldnt you? .... i have seen all of his stuff (we are friends)..... still he probably is gonna show us local people how to catch some big fish on swimbaits

swimbaits kid is the most finesse self called power fishermen ever..... he is good at both but just puttin it out there......

you gonna let me borrow the bbz????
Old 03-15-09, 07:30 PM   #7
swimbaitkid

Maybe if you put insurance on it, but I have one of the tru-tungsten's, it is a perfect beginner swimbait, because you will get bit, but stick to a couple of simple colors, bluegill, baby bass, and shad are the only ones you need
Old 03-15-09, 07:39 PM   #8
WTL

We do go big down south, finesse not so much but there are exceptions.

Big down here means plastic worms. 10" worms are ppular in florida. 3/4 jigs. Big traps.

Finesse down here means either the shaky head which was invented or popularized in Alabama and the float n fly which is mostly a tennessee thing.

Swimbaits will probably start to catch on down here, I just bought a pack the other day myself, but there is a learning curve. What I am really looking forward to throwing though are the super mag flukes. Not a swimbait per se, but similar idea.
Old 03-15-09, 07:44 PM   #9
swimbaitkid

When I say finesse I mean finesse, I usually dropshot with 4-6lb line with 2-3in worm, just an example, but you would be surprised at how finesse people out west get,(drop shoting with 2 1/2lb line) or useing the lightest smallest jig we can find. But the payout can be nice with landing a 3-6lb fish on 4lb line, you have to play them down and land them right, when the regular size bait that everybody else is throwing isn't working
Old 03-15-09, 07:45 PM   #10
JB

Denny and I went out today and each got one bass each, the water temp here is only in low 40's. I threw the big shadalicious and got hung on a log, but it looked good in the water..in the past we've thrown the storm swimbaits and did pretty good in ponds, but havent caught anything on them on brookville lake..its just a matter of time.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 07:57 PM   #11
WTL

I've heard of them getting down to 4 pound flouroclear with shaky heads and I believe similar numbers with float n flies.
Old 03-15-09, 08:11 PM   #12
rrw4258

JB, was wondering what was the range of water temps that you saw today? What size/body of water was it? I'm trying to go off your numbers for what the water temp is up here.

Ryan
Old 03-15-09, 08:37 PM   #13
JB

Hey Ryan
We went up to north near Grand Lake in Celina, which is an hour south of you or so..we had mid 40's by late afternoon and found fish near old grass from last year. One on a jig and got off, one on a fluke, one on a bandit.
We only saw fish on the north side of the water, the water was super clear, about 4 or five ft visablity.
Most of the time when we'd see fish they would shy away from anything that was swimming..I think they hit most of the baits when they saw them
sitting still. A typical march day of fishing in ohio.
We had an ice skim over last week a couple of days, so todays near sixty degree day felt great!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 08:45 PM   #14
Basscrazie

The swim baits are used here by alot of anglers with great results..I will fish them when the water gets hot off mainlake structure this summer..I have caught big hybrid strippers on the big storm baits but those are history since the LM bug has really bit my back side.It sounds like you have really got the confidence in them.
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-09, 03:09 PM   #15
Bassboss

I've got a stick king wake shad! Never used it much, only once really! And even then it was only for about 5-10 minutes! You got any tips with that? I got the tenn shad color I think? I also got a yum fat money minnow, and I got some mann's hard nose shads! I will get a tru-tungsten 4" shad when I get this dern check cashed!
Old 03-16-09, 04:17 PM   #16
aikenyounggun

thinkin about it i did catch two fish on a small storm jerkbait in a pond.... one of the old ones that was terrible, but the pond was STOCKED......... i have caught a bunch of fish on the sebile, but i usually dont think of those are swimbaits.... they remind me of jerkbaits too much
Old 03-16-09, 04:51 PM   #17
swimbaitkid

What I have heard about the wake shad's is that they are a small fish deal, and dont hold up for long, I dont have one, but that is what I have heard, but i would say to fish that thing either fast or SLOW, like 5 minutes a cast slow
Old 03-16-09, 07:28 PM   #18
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimbaitkid View Post
What I have heard about the wake shad's is that they are a small fish deal, and dont hold up for long, I dont have one, but that is what I have heard, but i would say to fish that thing either fast or SLOW, like 5 minutes a cast slow
Thanks!

I'm also looking into the Huddleston Deluxe 6" Trout, and the Huddleston Deluxe 6" Weedless Trout. I have no questions about the regular Huddleston SB. But the weedless Huddleston SB, I do have question on!

Dose this thing have a good hook up ration?? I'm skeptical, it's got a weedless design basically like a frog, but the hooks are not exposed at all? And plus, do they work well? btw look at my location, I'm not afraid to throw big baits!!

Here's what I'm talking about for those of you that don't know it.

Last edited by Bassboss; 03-16-09 at 07:35 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-09, 08:22 PM   #19
swimbaitkid

Thats good you are NOT afraid, the pay out will be way bigger when they are on the swimbait bite, just match the hatch and throw it untill you get bit, you will get bit, throw it around bridges, docks, rock, anywhere, but the main thing is you want the bass to have an ambush point. I have had fish rip the swimbait in half(plastic) right next to the boat, so dont set the hook to SOON, if you see it, sometimes they will nail it and not get a hook in them, and then they come back and engulf the whole thing, just keep reeling when that happens,then when you feel the fish on and pulling, give'em a bad day. but on hudds I have a couple and they are sweet, the 6in is a good all around bait, it's perfect, it'll catch fish all the time. On the Weedless Hudd I would say get a heavy-extra heavy rod that is long and use 65-100lb braid(No Joke) and delay the hookset, when they hit it, just kill it for about 2 seconds, and pick up the slack and set the hook hard, I mean HAMMER the fish on the hookset. try it and let me know what happened. Just remember DON'T set the hook as soon as they hit it
Old 03-16-09, 08:43 PM   #20
Bassboss

Quote:
Thats good you are NOT afraid, the pay out will be way bigger when they are on the swimbait bite, just match the hatch and throw it untill you get bit, you will get bit, throw it around bridges, docks, rock, anywhere, but the main thing is you want the bass to have an ambush point. I have had fish rip the swimbait in half(plastic) right next to the boat, so dont set the hook to SOON, if you see it, sometimes they will nail it and not get a hook in them, and then they come back and engulf the whole thing, just keep reeling when that happens,then when you feel the fish on and pulling, give'em a bad day. but on hudds I have a couple and they are sweet, the 6in is a good all around bait, it's perfect, it'll catch fish all the time. On the Weedless Hudd I would say get a heavy-extra heavy rod that is long and use 65-100lb braid(No Joke) and delay the hookset, when they hit it, just kill it for about 2 seconds, and pick up the slack and set the hook hard, I mean HAMMER the fish on the hookset. try it and let me know what happened. Just remember DON'T set the hook as soon as they hit it
Thanks swimbait!

So you've used the hudds! That's great! I got a great spot with bridges, check it out: I think it goes to about 20-30ft. But I don't have a radar to support it, it just takes 20-30 seconds for my 3/8oz willow spinnerbait, to hit bottom when I cast to the middle.

Do you use a leader, like a 20-25lb FC? And what gear ration do you like best? I got a 7' rod, with 30lb braid (will have to suffice) and a 6.3:1 reel. I don't have a big swimbait rod/reel yet, but will get one.

Also do you kill the bait often on the restive, or just a slow and steady?

Thanks again!

btw do know how to get an avatar up? I'd like to see one there!

Last edited by Bassboss; 03-17-09 at 11:09 AM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 10:52 AM   #21
Bassboss

Quote:
I also read that the ROF 0,a ROF 5, don't come with hooks on tackle tour, but I think it's the 8 incher they are referring to. Do the 6 inchers come with hooks under ROF 12?

Thanks again, again!
Old 03-17-09, 01:46 PM   #22
aikenyounggun

yeah swimbait kid is tryin to teach the fish in SC what a swimbait is right now...... he knows what hes talkin about tho
Old 03-17-09, 05:45 PM   #23
swimbaitkid

I have the ROF 12 and it has a hook in it, and I called tacklewarehouse and they said they all have hooks in the body, I have some of the Hudd Shad's too and they are sweet if there is shad or bluback herring in your lake. I throw my swimbaits on a Abu Garcia Revo SX, with a 6.4:1, your reel is close enough, you really dont have to get a BIG swimbait rod and reel, if you are throwing swimbaits over 7in's, then I would say get a setup, but if its under 8 you are good. And the line I would throw heavy braid, mono, or flouro, just use what you like to throw(line), I usually use braid, when a big fish wants to eat a swimbait, the line is the last thing on there mind, I could use rope and still catch fish because once they want it they are on a mission, they dont care if they eat next to your boat or next to shore.
Old 03-17-09, 05:48 PM   #24
swimbaitkid

oh, yeah I would use 20lb flouro or mono and as for the retreive I would say use a slow steady retreive and when they are following it then I would say speed it up for a second or kill it, sometimes you have to trigger the fish and just go out a couple times and play with it, hopefully you'll catch some big'ns
Old 03-17-09, 07:13 PM   #25
Bassboss

Thanks for all the help! I think I'll get the regular one if I get a hudd--not the weedless! So what do you think I should get the 4" tru-tungsten or the hudd?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.