Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-07-12, 08:03 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default What's your favorite TWEAKS?

Now some trade out the trebles, some color thier braid, some paint thier frogs 'pink'. (had to lilmule, sorry) All of these have found a place in my vast arsenal of lures and techniques.
NOW I WANT MORE!
Maybe you tweak a tweak.
These don't have to be new and they don't have to be original. I just want to know the one's that have truely made a difference in your success rate. Maybe you fish a frog with a special cadence or rig your swimbaits upside down or to the side.
Although I really don't care cause I try most anything a couple of times but I kind of hope you have tried it with success.
I feel every member here has a secret to share cause I know you all are great fishingpersons (yes ladies I want your input too).
I'll get it started.

I like to take my lippless cranks and put 3 RED Sharpie 'c's on each side to simulate gill plates opening just like a baitfish does when startled or surprised before fleeing. It's seems to work cause those who know me I've tried untweaked and tweaked side by side alot. I have a tendency to over test new ideas. The tweaked always out produces but not always alot more.
I really hope this post will get alot of activity.
Old 07-07-12, 08:35 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I really like the idea of this thread. I am always playing with tackle and making modifications to it so I will really enjoy reading about what other members do.

I modify just about every bait I use in one way or another, some of the modifications are pretty major, and others are so subtle that a lot of other guys probably wouldn't notice them. Of all the modifications I make to tackle I will list the ones that have made the biggest difference for me.

1. Switching to KVD Triple Grip treble hooks on all of my crankbaits. I used to have a serious problem with losing fish on crankbaits, and unfortunatley it seemed like bigger fish were the ones lost most of the time. I switched to Triple Grips and it made a huge difference, to the point that it was rare that I lost a fish. The only thing I didn't like about them was that they were made with such light wire that the hooks bent pretty easily. Also I hated how long the shank of the hooks were. Both of these concerns were taken away with the KVD Triple Grips. They are a heavier wire hook that stays crazy sharp and with the extra short shanks you can go up by one hooksize from what came on the bait, which gets a bigger bite of the fish when you get bit.

2. Adding an extra split ring to walking baits. It never was a serious problem, but I used to lose a few fish on walking topwater baits such as Spooks and Sammys. I added an extra split ring between the bait and the hook, so that there was a chain of two split rings connecting the hook to the bait. This allows the hook to spin around more than 360 degrees so that when a fish turns and rolls it will have trouble getting leverage to pry the bait out. Now Spintech makes treble hooks with swivles built into them that do the same thing, but with adding a split ring your hooks will hang a little lower and more free so that you will hook a lot of the fish that just roll under the bait.

3. The Rockstar jig. Anyways this is the name we sold it under when we owned the jig company. It is a simple modification that you make to any jig that has a finesse skirt (with the strands cut to look like a collar around the head). All I do is trim the skirt material below the skirt band, leaving only 5-10 strands that are centered in the back of the jig. The "collar" of skirt material around the jighead remains, but below the skirt band you will have 5-10 strands running straight down the back and the rest of the longer strands have been done away with. Then I use a beaver bait such as a smallie beaver as a trailer. This jig is very productive in situations where the water is clear or lightly stained and fish are seeing a lot of jigs. I have won several tournaments that I honestly don't think I would have won without this modification.

4. While I am talking jigs I just as well add one more modification. I always trim the weedguards to where they are just long enough to extend past the point of the hook. I trim them with scissors and I cut the strands at an angle that is parallel with the point of the hook. This will not cause you to get hung up more often like you might think, in fact I believe the opposite to be true because when you cut the weedguard strands shorter they actually have a stiffer feel to them, and it will also be less stuff between the business end of the hook and the mouth of the fish.
Old 07-07-12, 08:54 PM   #3
joedog

Thanks Kory, GREAT ideas and details and the 'whys' are fantastic.
Old 07-07-12, 10:33 PM   #4
kennethdaysale

I too trim the weed guards on jigs. I also thin out the skirts on jigs/spinnerbaits/buzzbaits by 20%-50%-75% in that order, as far as why I don't know except that I believe my hook-up ratio on buzzbaits is better because of it.
Some of the many tweaks I do are just habit (red gill accents or black eye dots near the tail of cranks and jerk baits) some are borderline superstitious (creating EWG bends in Original Floating Rapala hooks with a pair of needle nose') and some cause I'm bored or have too much time on my hands (I often melt the outside of brand new soft plastics real quick with a drywall heat gun and then sprinkle garlic salt on them before they re_set......creates a crunchy-salty-garlikee surface that's not locked in the middle of the bait or just sitting on the outside)
As a matter of fact there aren't many items in my tackle that I don't mess with at least a little. It's fun.
PS The plastic melting thing takes some practice to get just right....I recommend doing it on old stuff till you get the hang and it's a good idea to get your wife/signifigant other to sprinkle the garlic salt(sea salt/garlic powder/glitter/sand/minnow scales etc) while you sweep the gun back and forth over the worms that are laying flat on tin foil at just the right speed and distance
Old 07-07-12, 11:12 PM   #5
joedog

Thanks Ken.
That plastic deal sounds tasty. I would think the rougher exterior would also maybe get a fish to hold on longer too.
As soon as I can trick a young lady into a date, this will definitly be on the list of what to do on the second date.
And people wonder why I'm single.
Old 07-08-12, 09:44 AM   #6
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
PS The plastic melting thing takes some practice to get just right....I recommend doing it on old stuff till you get the hang and it's a good idea to get your wife/signifigant other to sprinkle the garlic salt(sea salt/garlic powder/glitter/sand/minnow scales etc) while you sweep the gun back and forth over the worms that are laying flat on tin foil at just the right speed and distance
I like this idea. Problem is, my wife is always busy washing my boat or making me sandwiches lmao.
Old 07-08-12, 10:19 AM   #7
bassboogieman

I rarely change hooks on crankbaits - because I usually buy the EXPENSIVE ones that come with good hooks - but when I do, I switch them to Owner ST-36 black nickle trebles and upsize on many of them. I change my skirts - on SPINNERBAITS! - because I really like Terminator T-1's but their skirts are terrible (IMO). I bend hollow body frog hooks upward. BUT, my most favorite tweaks involve fellow BF.com members. They know who they are.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-12, 01:57 PM   #8
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I like this idea. Problem is, my wife is always busy washing my boat or making me sandwiches lmao.
Yea I used to have to do it myself until I FINALLY got Pam to understand the value of multi-tasking/efficiency and time management. Nowadays she's a real trooper/helpy helperton type of gal...she can shake that salt-can like nobodys business while the breads toasting and the clothes are drying
Old 07-08-12, 09:38 PM   #9
Rebbasser

Depending on the baits I usually change the trebels. I love to throw Rat-L-traps but the stock hooks are about as sharp as a Q-tip.

I powdercoat my own weights and jigheads. Unpainted are cheaper than painted and besides, it is fun!

If a bait does not have a split ring holding the hook on I always add one, especially on topwaters like a Spook. With just the hook hanger the fish can get leverage to throw the hook. Adding a split ring eliminates this.
Old 07-08-12, 09:52 PM   #10
Jrob78

I don't do anything too crazy. I do trim jig weed guards and jig skirts on most jigs. I change treble hooks on about 80% of the crankbaits I buy. I also will trim the legs and bend the hooks out a little on hollow body frogs.

One thing I do on 100% of my crankbaits that don't come this way is add oval split rings to the tie on point. It makes it so much easier to tie on a crankbait when you don't have to worry about tying in the split area of a round split ring.
Old 07-08-12, 11:12 PM   #11
joedog

Thanks Reb and Jrob.
I've added splits to some baits but really didn't know why other than someone from here must of talked about it for some presentation. But I now understand the 'whys' and can now guess when. I'll confess, the reason I hated the split ring stuff was due to the problems which now Jrob has solved for me, that gap.
One question, do you guys vary split ring size based on bait or do you try to stay as small as possible? Especially the hook/split ring idea Reb. I'm thinking smaller would be counter productive by not letting bait (lure) to move freely or as free as a larger would, same for hooks.
Thanks again.
Oh, Jrob or anyone, is there a time that not trimming hollow bodies leg skirts is good or prefered. Other then walking the frog, which some now are designed to do with the legs untrimmed is there a reason you folks trim the legs?

Last edited by joedog; 07-08-12 at 11:18 PM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-12, 11:20 PM   #12
Jrob78

I buy size 2 and size 3 split rings in both round and oval. Those two sizes will work on pretty much all normal bass size baits.

I trim an inch or so off of the legs of frogs strictly for walking purposes. If I didn't intend to walk a frog or if I fished with one untrimmed and didn't have any trouble walking it, I probably would leave them alone.

Last edited by Jrob78; 07-08-12 at 11:38 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-12, 11:36 PM   #13
joedog

bassbooggie, do you have a favorite skirt maker?
I guess it's a good question for all you skirt changers.
Terminater used to make or have a skirt called 'air alive', had tiny bumps on strands that I really liked. O-bait makes a finesse skirt that has similar strands
http://www.overstockbait.com/Jig_Skirt_p/oxskt5.htm
I like these too. I'm not really sure what makes a skirt a 'finesse skirt' but terminater had them on thier finesse jigs. Must be strand count? Because it's not skirt length.
Anyway thanks Bruce.
Old 07-08-12, 11:38 PM   #14
joedog

Thanks Joe.
Old 07-09-12, 12:35 AM   #15
Rebbasser

Joe, I just kind of eyeball it and pick a split ring that looks right. That usually works.

You can get oval split rings from lurepartsonline.com for a lot less in bulk. I put them on baits it is hard to tie to like a Pop-R.
Old 07-09-12, 03:06 AM   #16
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Now some trade out the trebles, some color thier braid, some paint thier frogs 'pink'. (had to lilmule, sorry) All of these have found a place in my vast arsenal of lures and techniques.
NOW I WANT MORE!
Maybe you tweak a tweak.
These don't have to be new and they don't have to be original. I just want to know the one's that have truely made a difference in your success rate. Maybe you fish a frog with a special cadence or rig your swimbaits upside down or to the side.
Although I really don't care cause I try most anything a couple of times but I kind of hope you have tried it with success.
I feel every member here has a secret to share cause I know you all are great fishingpersons (yes ladies I want your input too).
I'll get it started.

I like to take my lippless cranks and put 3 RED Sharpie 'c's on each side to simulate gill plates opening just like a baitfish does when startled or surprised before fleeing. It's seems to work cause those who know me I've tried untweaked and tweaked side by side alot. I have a tendency to over test new ideas. The tweaked always out produces but not always alot more.
I really hope this post will get alot of activity.
First, let me say this is a great thread! Second, great minds think alike.

A) Also Using Red Cs

I too used a red sharpie on the first successful crankbait I ever made. God gave me the skills to craft and shape wood, but he left me lacking in the painting department. I knew that I couldn't hold a paint brush steady enough to add the red markings I wanted so I opted for a sharpie too. Instead of using normal Cs, I decided to experiment with C-like chevrons and in reverse order. In addition, I like to add "shark teeth" reminiscent of WWII fighter planes. It's my own little 'trademark.'

The first fish it caught was this bad boy.

I was targeting bass. However, this 20" trout, the largest trout I ever caught, nailed my homemade crankbait with the fury of a tempest.

It seems that bass also like this crazy color scheme.

B) Another take on using red in the neck area under the bill of a crank-bait

I have always wondered it red-necked (no pun intended) crank-baits made it more enticing for fish to strike, so I also kicked it up a notch and highlighted red in the lips. Reminds me of when the Tasmanian devil got kissed by bugs bunny who wore a bear trap covered with lipstick. The color scheme was definitely Joker inspired from the not too old Batman movie.

C) Adding split rings to my inline spinners
When I first made them, I made them much like blue fox and other spinners with the trebles directly attached to the wire. After some thought, I decided to use a split ring to join the inline spinner and the treble. The purpose was two fold.

1) On some rivers, use of trebles are not permitted. Having the split ring allows me to quickly switch from treble to single hook or vice versa.

2) Just a thought, but just in case bigger fish at on the other end, the added split ring might aid in minimizing the leverage they might use to spit off the lure. Don't really have a way to measure this, but so far no salmon has been lost to a spinner being spit out of tossed off.

D) Devising What I Call a Rod Leash
Perhaps it was the snowboarder in me back in my glory days, lol, but when my daughter learned to use a baitcaster when she was 6 1/2, she claimed my green Curado as her own. Naturally, I was delighted, but the horrible thought of a cast that turned into an unintended tossing of the rod and reel into the drink did not sit well with me. So I took these items:

And made this:

So if my daughter accidentally let go, it would not go far or fall into the water. Here it is, put to use:

You put it on the casting hand and surprisingly, the rod leash does not get in the way of casting. Also, instead of attaching it to the wrist, with a long enough cord, you could attach the caribeaner to the loop of a pair of pants or shorts.

E) Adding a rattle to the drop shot rig
I did this in the hopes of increasing the chances of a bite for water that isn't too clear. I initially placed a jig rattle over the clip of the drop shot weight. I got a huge strike on the maiden cast of this but I lost that fight. I might have to try those glass rattles some time.
Old 07-09-12, 07:29 AM   #17
bassboogieman

Darn, I REMOVE split rings from all my hard baits as i use the Norman speed clips. Guess I shoulda put all those Lucky Craft ovals in an envelope and sent them down to Joe. No, I don't have them now because I sold a few cranks a couple months ago and re-installed the split rings prior to sending them out.

Joe, I use this skirt from Barlow's tackle on both my spinnerbiats and some of the chatterbaits I make: .http://www.barlowstackle.com/5-Umbre...rts--P771.aspx It's a 5" full skirt and best suited for 3/8 - 1/2 oz baits and I think a bargain at $3.05 for 5. I also like the Strike King Perfect Skirt (the one with the long tail on the KVD spinnerbaits), you can get them from BPS but they are a little pricey - $3.29 for two. One of the custom skirt makers I've also used (Bassdozer) is making a skirt similiar to the SK KVD that I want to try. At $4.29 for five it seems a better bargain than the SK's. I will be ordering some to try soon in a comparison with the SK skirts.

Bassdozer Pro Tie w/tails skirt is on the left. Right is one of the Barlow's Lunker Umbrella skirts on a chatter bait.

I use Bazzdozer's standard Pro Tie skirt also, should you not like the tails (pic below shows one on a chatterbait). They are not quite as full as the Barlow's but is nice and only $3.79 for 5. The Bassdozer Pro Tie and the Barlow's skirts have double collars, I like that as it makes for a better flare on the skirt.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 07-09-12 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-09-12, 09:11 AM   #18
DaveW731
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Not really a tweak, but....

Anyone remember the Doug Hannon Swimming Worm? All it amounts to is threading a straight tail worm on a straight-shank worm hook so that the worm bends at 90 degrees and the point and barb of the hook are exposed. Tie on a 1ft leader and a BB swivel and the worm twists coming through the water. Killer on smallmouth in rivers.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-12, 09:38 AM   #19
joedog

islandbass, Bruce thanks.
island, I flat out love the rod leash! I'm teaching a group of youngun's to fish and seeing twice I myself have tossed a baitcaster after a hard throw in to the lake. Quickly followed by the fisherman...caught both before they reached bottom.
Bruce, just curious, couldn't you leave the splits even with the speed clips? I ask because I too have 6 rods rigged with speed clips. I found that lipless cranks actually feel and seem to give just a little better 'wobble' or vibration when using the clips. Kind of like adding a split ring to a spook or walk-bait.
Again thanks...everyone!

Side note, lilmule I'm waiting for your tweaks....I KNOW YOU HAVE NUMEROUS. You can't avoid ME...I'll PM you. Should add I got the hook hone and like it. Dumb question, when using a hone do you pull the hook with the grain or against the grain? I've done both and although against grain is somewhat difficult to get a smooth swipe against, both ways seem to sharpen the point.
Old 07-09-12, 09:39 AM   #20
joedog

Dave thanks. I must be the worlds slowest typier.
Can't tell you how many times I post and by the time I get done typing someone types a post between. Must be all the corrections a need to make to sneak by Ken.
Old 07-09-12, 09:54 AM   #21
bassboogieman

Joe, I don't see an advantage of using both a split ring and speed clip and the disadvantage I found, when I first tired the speed clips on the split ring, was it hanging up on the front hook more often. Upsizing the front hook also contributed to the problem when leaving the split ring on, more so on cranks that did not have a lip. The speed clip is longer than any split ring and I still get it snagged on the front hook but eliminating the split ring has reduced that occurance. I can deal with that for the ease of changing lures and not cutting off line and retying, as I change lures often so it also saves time.
Old 07-09-12, 11:50 AM   #22
islandbass

Thanks, Joe. The rod leash comes in handy when it is used. Case in point. There were three fishing outings with my son when he was younger. On those outings, I forgot the his rod leash. And guess what? Those three times! He lost is rod. Bye bye Spiderman, Batman, and Superman fishing rods. Thank goodness it wasn't much of a loss, lol.

The last one he lost, he was acting like a Jedi and slashing the water with his rod as if it were a light saber. You can guess what happened next. Yep, somehow he let it go and bye bye rod. Sometimes lessons are learned the hard way.
Old 07-09-12, 12:40 PM   #23
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Dave thanks. I must be the worlds slowest typier.(?)
Can't tell you how many times I post and by the time I get done typing someone types a post between. Must be all the corrections a (I) need to make to sneak by Ken.
Old 07-09-12, 01:36 PM   #24
joedog

Thanks Ken!
Ok, typer
Typer -
Definition of TYPER: typist

It always feels good to know someone will be there to help you through your struggles, thanks Ken.
Old 07-09-12, 06:02 PM   #25
oglejust
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i cut the legs on my ribbit frogs, cut a triangle chunk out next to the body, just makes the legs thinner at the body to give more action.
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.