Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 09-29-11, 03:29 PM   #1
gysgthard
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Batteries

Here in northeren Indiana winter is getting closer and the fishing days are fewer and fewer so I am asking to see what all of you have to say about storage of your boat what you do to the batteries gas tanks and a real good way to clean the carpet and get all of the dirt up.
gysgthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-11, 08:29 AM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

regular batteries.charge once a month. jell batteries..take out and store in garage. at least this is what i read. don't quote me though, i have been wrong on occasion. lol!
Old 10-01-11, 10:01 AM   #3
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

AGM - leave them in the boat, plug in the charger for a day each month.

Gas - couple schools of thought. Fill the tank, treat the fuel with MARINE (blue) Stabil or empty tank. Different issues with each method. Condensation (water) is a big issue with ethanol fuel, an empty or partially filled tank allows more air in tank and hence the likelyhood of moisture condensation. Although to my thinking, cold winter air holds less humidity (moisture) and the likelyhood of condensation it therefore reduced. Filling the tank and letting the gas sit for 3 -4 months leads to possible octane loss in the fuel. Which is better - I don't know. Personally I don't worry about it. My fuel is treated when put in the boat. I don't fill my tank before putting it away for the winter - I keep it at a minimum of half full, if there's more in there that's fine. I haven't had a problem in 8 years doing it this way. BUT - I have a water seperation filter installed, and I fill the tank with fresh gas, Stabil and Ringfree before starting the outboard come spring.

Fogging the outboard is important before storing the boat for any lenght of time.

Cleaning the boat also is important, but it will need done again come spring. Carpet - I do mine at the car wash, just rinse it well - and make sure the drain plug is out - don't want water in the hull prior to storage to freeze. When you get home I shop vac the carpet to get as much water out as possible, many self service car wash places also have large vacs you could also use. Hopefully I picked a sunny day to finish the drying process.

My boat is stored outdoors under a carport. I open alll my compartments and prop the lid with a small block of wood to allow air circulation, though open lids allow easy access to vermin - so I put a cereal bown full of moth balls in each. I also put a bowl under each console - lot of wires there that rodents love to chew on. Then I double cover it.

I remove my prop (I've had a couple stolen) and cover the lower unit with a plastic trash bag and duct tape. It reminds me to grease the prop shaft come spring.

This winter I'm adding one more thing - I'm jacking up the trailer, putting it on blocks and removing the tires. Tires sitting several month may develope flat spots which lead to tread seperation. Actually had that happen to a couple of my truck tires, after sitting several months without moving it. That may be overkill, but can't hurt.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-11, 12:55 PM   #4
Captmikestarrett

I plug in the onboard charger and add some stabill. Clean and open hatches to keep mold down. No carpet so that is not an issue. Cover with loose tarp and park under car port. Never fog as I fish all year round. Unless the Potomac ices over.

You never know when the sun will shine and the power plant out flow turns on.

Capt Mike
Old 10-01-11, 05:01 PM   #5
nofearengineer

Batteries - Get a "smart" charger, and leave them plugged in all Winter. It will not over-charge the batteries.

Fuel - Use Stabil. Make sure the treated gas reaches the engine before you winterize.

Fogging - I no longer fog, but my outboard is fuel and air injected. Other than the exhaust through the prop, there is no way for air (and humidity) to reach my cylinder walls. I now place a plastic bag over my prop, and secure it with a couple of very tight rubber bands. A carbureted or traditional fuel-injected engine, you should probably still continue to fog as is.

Carpet - Do not use soap. Use a de-greaser. Soap actually attracts dirt...that's why it works. But you will never get all of the soap out of your carpet, thus it will become a filth-magnet.
Old 10-03-11, 09:39 AM   #6
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

"Fogging" an engine, is that running it without fuel line attached until it quits?
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 09:46 AM   #7
Bender

Normally "fogging" is removing each spark plug and spraying fogging oil into each cylinder while turning the engine over by hand by rotating the flywheel. That gets the whole cylinder wall covered.
This may be the first winter for me that I don't have heated storage for my boat so I will need to winterize. It's not too bad, just takes some time and then you don't want to use unless you want to do it again.

I also suggest changing the lower unit gear lube at this time. If it has become contaminated with water you don't want that to freeze (if that's even possible).
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 10:09 AM   #8
nofearengineer

Bender, "winterize" is a somewhat misleading term.

An engine should be winterized if it's going to sit for longer than a couple of months, no matter the weather. Rust doesn't care what month it is.

An unprotected cylinder wall will rust, regardless of temperature.

That said, I'm going to have to winterize mine very soon. The way my year has gone, I should have "winterized" it in July.
Old 10-03-11, 12:53 PM   #9
Handlebars
BassFishin.Com Member

Buy all new heavy duty winter clothing & gear. Don't forget a new helmet for those real cold wind burn mornings.

Fish all winter very slowly and don't worry about winterizing the boat....
Old 10-03-11, 02:47 PM   #10
gysgthard
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Thanks

Thanks for all of the good advice and hope all of you catch the big one
gysgthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 10:49 AM   #11
F16 1UB
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If your boat sits outside change your lower unit grease prior to storage just to ensure there's no water in the grease. Last time I checked IN still gets way below zero. Feel for ya dude.
F16 1UB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-11, 12:04 AM   #12
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

For cleaning that carpet get one of those mini Bissel steam cleaners. For your batteries if your on board charger trickle charges put it on a timer and just have it come on once a week.
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-11, 10:35 AM   #13
PAfisher76
BassFishin.Com Member

Dog, fogging is when you spray fogging oil in the carburetor until the engine shuts down.
PAfisher76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11, 09:01 PM   #14
officesupplies
BassFishin.Com Member

Buy new heavy duty winter clothing & gear. Change your battery to smart one.
officesupplies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11, 09:02 PM   #15
officesupplies
BassFishin.Com Member

Buy new heavy duty winter clothing & gear. Change your battery to smart one.
officesupplies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11, 09:10 PM   #16
bamabassman

BUY!BUY!BUY! here we go again folks.
Old 11-08-11, 11:00 PM   #17
MississippiBoy

Does anybody else see the word "sex" in the middle of that web address, or is it just me?
Old 11-08-11, 11:44 PM   #18
kennethdaysale

www.officesupplie.sex.press

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.