Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-24-06, 01:44 PM   #1
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default I am shaking my head about the shaky head

For the past few weeks, I have experimented with the shaky head technique. Although I caught several bass during each outing, I couldn't catch anything with the shaky head.

I tried a couple different ways . . . let it hit the bottom and then just shake so the worm stays in one place, also tried lifting and shaking, and tried twitching and shaking. So far, no takers.

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong?
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-06, 01:48 PM   #2
pretjah
BassFishin.Com Active Member

where are you fishing it?

on a bed? in grass?

around brush?
pretjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-06, 01:49 PM   #3
pretjah
BassFishin.Com Active Member

also what kind of worm are you fishing? if it's a floating worm try putting one thats not a bouyant and will fall flat faster.

if you aren't try fishing one with alot of floatation so it gets a decent vertical action for a while after you shake it
pretjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-06, 10:27 AM   #4
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Just wiggle the rod tip for the shakey part, its just like texas rigging for bass, don't psych yourself out
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-06, 10:40 AM   #5
KW01268
BassFishin.Com Member

The Shakey head or as I refer to it Jig worm has been a great help on those bad days. It will come as time goes. It is my goto bait most of the season.

I use the ZOOM finnese worm mostly in a Watermelon and Muscadine. It is just a water color and preference thing. Stick with it. You won't be disappointed down the road.
KW01268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-06, 02:42 PM   #6
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Also remember that you're not trying to shake the heck out of the worm. You want it to be distinct but not unnatural, if that makes sense. You don't have to do quick or rapid jerks, just get a rhythm going. I started fishing it not too long ago and I love it now. You want the bait to stay on the bottom as much as possible but you want the tail of the worm to rise up off the bottom.

10 o'clock rod position, light shakes(varying amount of time before inching the bait along), contact with the bottom almost constantly, and slow down.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-06, 03:54 PM   #7
Wishing2BFishing

I am using Zoom Trick Worms in Green Pumpkin/Blue Glitter, Baby Bass, and Methiolate. I texas rig the worm on a 1/4 oz. shaky head jig head (you twist the worm onto a spiral thing that protrudes from the jighead).

I am throwing the worm by rocks, grass, stomps, vegetation, whatever. . . still no takers.

I use the shaky head with my baitcaster rod. Should I use spinning?

Anyway, I appreciate any advice . . . so I can get this shaky stuff figured out.
Old 04-25-06, 05:30 PM   #8
PowerBass

Spinning rod, 6-8lb test, deep rocky points. At least It has worked for me(well if hits count)
Old 04-25-06, 05:46 PM   #9
JB

If you're not getting results on the shakey head method, try a texas rigged or whacky rig worm and see if they hit that instead...odds are that the fish that day could have been inactive, and not going to hit anything, plus it gets you more knowledge on what to use under certain conditions.
I just found out last summer about tiki or senko's and the first few times I threw them, they were like magic, however one day when they wouldn't hit it any way I could rig it, I ended up picking up a 6 inch ribbon tail texas rigged, fished the exact same spots, and got bite! A lot of the action you put on lures is dictated by the bass....if you know they are inactive, you go into slow mode, downsize etc...if the bass bite has been on fire, you can go full blast with reaction baits, buzzbait, spinnerbait, crankin'.
Same as the worm, some days it takes a quick fall to get them to bite, other days its the weightless slow fall, and sometimes they want to check it out wiggling on the bottom, hence the shakey head...theres a time and place for most technique, and this shakey head , while not new, is popular because most feel that the bass
haven't seen that much of the technique of shaking , verses the
millions of anglers that throw a texas rigged worm that falls straight down, and has probably been viewed time after time by the resident bass......
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-06, 06:34 PM   #10
zooker

dead stick it.. i use a trick worm on a shakey head as jb said DRAG it on bottom. don't try to go fast slow down... don't pop it or try big movement with it..

zooker
Old 04-25-06, 07:32 PM   #11
Wishing2BFishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
dead stick it.. i use a trick worm on a shakey head as jb said DRAG it on bottom. don't try to go fast slow down... don't pop it or try big movement with it..

zooker
I did not try dead sticking w/ the shaky head. This sounds like a good idea. Thanks zook.
Old 04-25-06, 07:35 PM   #12
Wishing2BFishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
If you're not getting results on the shakey head method, try a texas rigged or whacky rig worm and see if they hit that instead...odds are that the fish that day could have been inactive, and not going to hit anything, plus it gets you more knowledge on what to use under certain conditions.
I just found out last summer about tiki or senko's and the first few times I threw them, they were like magic, however one day when they wouldn't hit it any way I could rig it, I ended up picking up a 6 inch ribbon tail texas rigged, fished the exact same spots, and got bite! A lot of the action you put on lures is dictated by the bass....if you know they are inactive, you go into slow mode, downsize etc...if the bass bite has been on fire, you can go full blast with reaction baits, buzzbait, spinnerbait, crankin'.
Same as the worm, some days it takes a quick fall to get them to bite, other days its the weightless slow fall, and sometimes they want to check it out wiggling on the bottom, hence the shakey head...theres a time and place for most technique, and this shakey head , while not new, is popular because most feel that the bass
haven't seen that much of the technique of shaking , verses the
millions of anglers that throw a texas rigged worm that falls straight down, and has probably been viewed time after time by the resident bass......
JB, interesting that you mention the texas rigged Senko. I was throwing those and Tiki Sticks and caught all my bass w/ them on the last outing. That is all they would hit. The bass said no to my cranks, the rogue, jigs, topwaters, and as previously mentioned, wouldn't touch the shaky head.
Old 04-25-06, 08:16 PM   #13
bass kicker

or the bass wanted a more quick approach such as spinners or cranks
Old 05-29-06, 04:46 PM   #14
BADFISHTR21
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Shakey Head

Try Using 4-5 Inch Finesse Worm(i Prefer Yum Houdini In Gr Pump),the Key Is Not To Shake To Much,i Have Caught Bass At All Depths And Structure Types All Over Country With This Set Up
BADFISHTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.