Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-01-04, 09:10 PM   #1
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

Default fish in the muddy conditions

a lot has been posted about fishing in muddy water condition's. for some people this may present a problem. but what a lot of people don't know is that many times the mud is only a few feet thick with clear water underneath. if you have been catching fish shallow before the muddy condition entered the lake /pond /ect.. all ya have to do is find the place where the mud line is mostly it is 5-6 feet deep-as fish will stage in this area a good graph will help a lot. i would use a crank bait to get under it. my choice of color's would run a insane line while tons of people use fire tiger i tend to tone it down some say a homer colored fat free shad.-because it is on a diet-or even a black and white shap rap either deep runner or a dt10 .all this has to do with knowing your crank bait depth which i have posted about before. as the muddy water tends to block alot of light any bait you use during an overcast day will work. one of my best producing lures that anit a crank bait is a single bladed spinner bait. belive it or not it is NOT a stein but a blue fox -yeah they make them-spinner bait a chartuse and green with gold flake affair -i call it my old john deer spinner bait- the bar non best way to run it is dragged -that is slower than slow rolling- around points and or humps.

oh yeah bassman 30 watch you butt on the rock . she got more logs then georgia pacific does.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-04, 09:49 PM   #2
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1
Default Re: fish in the muddy conditions

Well, in fl there really isn't much muddy water. But when I do encounter a muddy pond, its usually so shallow that there is no mud line. In this situation I use a red shad t-rigged worm. I've tried other things, but keep coming back to thus lure and catching fish.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-04, 03:41 PM   #3
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Fishing any lake with boat traffic on a weekend and you are gonna have a mudline. What Ill do at times is just slow float a frog or lizard from the shore and let it sink as I progress into the line, Ill use this especially if theres heavy recreation use w/ constant waves slappin the shore.
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-04, 08:08 PM   #4
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

Zooker,

Went to Tuckertown today (Sat 2 Oct). Man talk about mud, and debris all over the place. Had to go around the logs in the water, and it wasn't easy. Did find some clear water in Riles creek and yes we caught some fish.
Where there are shad there are fish to be caught.

Bassnman30
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-04, 09:00 PM   #5
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

how far back in riles creek before or after the bridge?

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-04, 08:40 PM   #6
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

pretty good post zooker. I would also like to say that the MUDLINE itself can be a place to catch fish sometimes. They will hang in the mudline, and use their other senses to ambush(vibration, smell). Sometimes when you have the boats mudding up the shoreline, it's THE PLACE TO FISH

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-04, 08:58 PM   #7
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

i've never caught a fish on a mudline :-/ and i been bass fishing 20+yrs.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-04, 09:14 PM   #8
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Try a spinnerbait or crankbait in the mudline, Tom-I've had my best luch with a chartreuse/blue back shallow runner or a Smokey Joe colored Trap.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-04, 03:10 PM   #9
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

Several spots before the bridge. They were breaking the water. This past sat. they weren't as active but we caught bigger fish w/worms and spinnerbaits.
Starting to get a pattern, should be a good tournament. Ricky,Steve, Jerry and Dale normally do good at Tuckertown. We'll see this time !
I normally didn't practice at T-town, but this year is different.
Were finding fish at areas that others don't fish. Everyone thinks that all the fish are in the grass, well not so.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.