Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-16-04, 12:47 AM   #1
gonefishy2002
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gonefishy2002
Default NewBuzzbait Rod

I have been looking for a new buzzbait rod and I'm wondering if there are some anglers here that really love throwing buzzbaits and have maybe found THE buzzbait rod.The biggest problem I encounter is short strikes (I use trailer hooks). I find for me that most MH/H graphite rods to be a bit too stiff in the tip for bass to engulf the bait. I'm currently using a 7' Ugly Stick but the thing weighs a ton! (however, when I changed to the slower action my hookups increased immediately!) The ones i am considering are the St Croix 7' glass crank or graphite crank or a GLoomis crankbait rod. I've not handled either of these and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with either of these or would have another recomendation?
I've ran a search on this topic but find amazingly little info. Thanks!
gonefishy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-04, 01:08 AM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: NewBuzzbait Rod

Welcome to the forum!

I finally settled on a 6' M action AllStar Â*BCM-6 rod . Â*Since buzzbaits are not what you would call streamlined when you cast them the M action makes them easier to throw IMO. It was also because I had the rod and really didn't know what to throw on it until I saw it recommended by a guide in Florida. Great call on his part as far as I'm concerned.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-04, 01:23 AM   #3
gonefishy2002
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks Rebbasser! I do like All Stars and i've owned a few bch-6, ms1(loved that one) I think I want one at least 6'6" or 7' for casting distance and fighting leverage and seems to make it a bit easier to keep the bait up on top while retrieving a s-l-o-w as possible . Iwonder if the gt2 would be a good one being Med action and composite construction and how it would compare to the St croix glass model?
Old 12-16-04, 01:25 AM   #4
gonefishy2002
BassFishin.Com Member

Yeah, that might be a really good one(bcm-6) for "close- in" work...

sorry for the double post :-[
Old 12-16-04, 01:29 AM   #5
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

I use the GT2 for lipped and lipless crankbaits, and it is a great rod for those. Never tried throwing a buzzbait on one, but if you want a longer ros that might be a great choice. I'm planning on getting on the water Saturday so I'll try a buzzbait on a GT2 and let you know how it does.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-04, 01:44 AM   #6
gonefishy2002
BassFishin.Com Member

That would be great! I hope that you slay them while you're at it! ;D

I bought the uglystick at a time when I was on a SERIOUS night buzzbait bite in May and was missing crazy fish on a M/H Berkley Bionix 6'6". I HAd to do somthing so i bought the Â*only rod that I could find in my town at the time that had length, a nice slow tip and sufficient backbone to do the job. It's so heavy though it would make a good med duty saltwater rod!LOL
Old 12-16-04, 09:25 AM   #7
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

My favorite Buzzbait rod is a 6'6" Medium Galyan's Rod. I couldn't tell you who makes it ??? You are correct in a MH or H rod not being as easy on the hookset, but I must admit that after using Buzzbaits for awhile, that to me it isn't as much the rod as it is making sure the fish has the bait first, and it's really a timing issue. You can't set it too soon, and if you wait too long they'll spit it out. I fish it just about like a spinner bait, when you feel the fish set the hook. You posted that you like to crawl it on top, and if that works for you then great. I've personally had a lot more luck really cranking it, and don't get too many short strikes. I believe this to be due to the reaction of the fish, if you move it slowly they have more time to inspect it before they hit it, when you fly it by them, they have to either crush it or leave it alone, no time for a look see. Just my 2 cents, and of course most all of us LOVE a topwater bite, and Buzzbaits are a great bait when they are ambushing in the shallower water around cover. I would also say that I prefer mono with with buzzbaits, it helps give a little, instead of the superlines that will have more of a tendancy to yank it away from them. So use any Medium rod WITH MONO, and I think it will work for you. Get a rod you are comfortable with, and when flinging a buzzbait all day the rod weight makes a BIG difference, get a decent quality rod, that is lighter. Of course I'm just not a fan of the Ugly sticks period, but I do Love the St Croix

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-04, 11:32 AM   #8
gonefishy2002
BassFishin.Com Member

Ok lizards. That is one of the hardest (but, necessary) things to do on a buzz bite... wait to feel them. Especialy when you KNOW they are TOADS. One can get a little excited and forget to be patient.
Ahh, patience... :P
Yeah, I would not normally buy an ugly stick but it was the ONLY solution at that time and I was acheing to get back out there, so... I knew it was only a temporary solution.
There aren't any St Croix dealers in my area so I may have to break down and drive 3 hours to the nearest BPS (in Atlanta). What a tragedy.... ;D 8)

Thanks for the input guys!!
Old 12-16-04, 12:36 PM   #9
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=gammarama link=board=news;num=1103168861;start=0#7 date=12/16/04 at 09:32:04]Ok lizards. That is one of the hardest (but, necessary) things to do on a buzz bite... wait to feel them. Especialy when you KNOW they are TOADS. One can get a little excited and forget to be patient.
Ahh, patience... :P
Yeah, I would not normally buy an ugly stick but it was the ONLY solution at that time and I was acheing to get back out there, so... I knew it was only a temporary solution.
There aren't any St Croix dealers in my area so I may have to break down and drive 3 hours to the nearest BPS (in Atlanta). What a tragedy.... ;D 8)

Thanks for the input guys!![/quote]

As much as I dislike them Dick's also sells St Croix, or you could just order on line Of course being at BPS is Heaven ;D

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-04, 12:56 PM   #10
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

I use Falcon rods. They make a composite rod in thier Low Rider series that is dynomite for Buzzing. It is very similar to thier crankbait rod, just a different action.

www.falconrods.com

Charles

BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-04, 01:12 PM   #11
gonefishy2002
BassFishin.Com Member

I have yet to see/ hold a St Croix so an internet purchase is not an option at this time. Besides, I'm feelin' the need to go to BPS anyway.... I really hope they (St Croix) are the rod that I think they are, i. e. G Loomis qualitywithout the hype inflation. 8) It would be cool if they have the rods I'm looking at in stock for an a/b comparison though if they don't I will still be able to make a descision based on the quality and actions of what they do have.
It may be after CHRISTmas before i can get up there, but when I do... ;D$$$
Old 12-16-04, 02:03 PM   #12
james33
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to james33

[quote author=bassboss link=board=news;num=1103168861;start=0#9 date=12/16/04 at 10:56:48]I use Falcon rods. They make a composite rod in thier Low Rider series that is dynomite for Buzzing. It is very similar to thier crankbait rod, just a different action.

www.falconrods.com

Charles

[/quote]

Ditto. Best spinnerbait/buzzbait rod ever made.
james33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-04, 02:13 PM   #13
gonefishy2002
BassFishin.Com Member

Cool, I'll have to check that one out as well... I was unaware that any rod manufacturer was making a buzzbait - specific rod but that seems to be the going trend (technique specific actions) and I bet others will have one out in the not -too-distant future.

Would anyone compare the Falcon quality to St Croix?
Old 12-16-04, 02:29 PM   #14
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

I have never been able to afford St.Croix, so I do not know. But within my budget, Falcon rods are as good as it gets.

Charles
Old 12-16-04, 02:53 PM   #15
gonefishy2002
BassFishin.Com Member

How much are the Falcons? The St.Croix premier series run $80-90.00 retail. The Avids are considerably more and i wonder if the difference is THAT noticable. In fact i don't think that I would get the type rod with less sensitivity and slower action with the higher modulous graphite of the Avid series anyway. I WILL check out the Falcon before I make a final descision though. It sounds like it could be a great rod. I just want to explore all Â*options.
Old 12-16-04, 03:23 PM   #16
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=gammarama link=board=news;num=1103168861;start=0#14 date=12/16/04 at 12:53:08]How much are the Falcons? The St.Croix premier series run $80-90.00 retail. The Avids are considerably more and i wonder if the difference is THAT noticable. .
[/quote]

I had no idea about the premier rods. the Avids were the ones i had priced. The Falcons are around 100.00.Depending on where you get them.

Charles
Old 12-16-04, 03:37 PM   #17
gonefishy2002
BassFishin.Com Member

OK Boss. That's right around where I was looking to spend. 8) I hope they have it when I go to BPS. In what way would you say the action is different from the cranking model so I can kinda get a feel for it if they happen not to have the buzz model in stock?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.