Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-22-15, 11:59 PM   #1
Fish-N-Fool
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Looking for advise on fishing very shallow cold water

I want to try to catch my first ever bass in Feb so I have been hitting a small local lake. For this area it is very unique as it has a max depth of about 6 feet with about 90 % of it is less then 3 feet deep. On a sunny day you can see the bottom everywhere in the whole lake. It only has 2 main deep holes and deep is a relative term. So I have fished it a couple times so far in very cold water temp as I was breaking ice with my boat. I can't seam to figure out where the fish are. I would have thought they would be in the deeper holes, but so far I have not seen any there. The lake is long and narrow at about a mile long and maybe 150 yards wide. It has a lot of just flat bottom about 2 1/2 feet deep with little to no vegetation on it. It has a lot of shoreline with pencil reeds in about 3 to 4 feet of water, this area is where I catch 75% of the fish in the summer. It also has a somewhat deep weed bed that ranges from 3 to 5 feet deep, I catch most of the rest of my fish in this area, it has a small patch of lily pads on one end that I get a few fish from, and last the deepest water is just a mud bottom where I get a few fish as well. This lake has some surprisingly big fish in it for being so shallow. It used to have a ton of monster fish and was the best bass lake in the state back some 15 years ago but due to the shallow water it has winter-kills and about 8 years ago it had a bad one and killed off just about every fish in the lake. It has made a good recovery and I'm getting many 3 and 4 pounders again when i fished it last year. So where would the bass be this time of year. We have had a very warm spring and have semi open water for the first time that I've ever seen here. It has turned cold again and put about a 1/4" of ice on parts of the lake again. I was out breaking ice today trying to find fish but had no bites and saw no fish. I did the Jerk baits and my Sink-N-Fools as well as drop shot. So, where you you look for bass in this environment?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.