Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-04, 12:38 PM   #1
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch
Default fishing a dam

Was fishin a dam yesterday, open and flowing. I believe they were lowering the canal levels. Just looking for various tips on what and how to fish this. Actually caught a few bass throwing a large wild eye shad but then the area was overrun with gar and catfish and couldnt buy a bass. Any help would be appreciated. The few bass I caught were in the 5 and 6 pound range and just like everyone else I would like to keep doing that. Just so you know area runs narrow for 30 yards then opens up on one side like a small lake, the other side is shoreline all the way into the main body of water for about 200 yards.
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-04, 12:51 PM   #2
DARRYL_B
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to DARRYL_B
Default Re: fishing a dam

Not much help but I would fish the whole dam area...
DARRYL_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-04, 03:58 PM   #3
bassguy2004

Flfireman, how deep is the surrounding area? I fish the dam here at Lake Sonoma all the time, but during the summer I'll fish the steeper wall just ajacent to the dam itself which is 25 to 30 feet. The smallies will suspend off the bluff banks and sometimes are catchable.
Old 09-01-04, 10:28 PM   #4
UGAROCKS2002
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to UGAROCKS2002

what i was taught was to use the boils and the back current always to your advantage. because that is were the agressive fish will be.

just through your bait out into the current and let the current take ur bait into the back current. you can start the retrieve a little earlier and try to make your bait look disorentated through the boils. that will sometimes trigger a reation strike. also be aware if fish start to school cause i have noticed like right were the damns release the water on the area were it starts to colm down and there is a lot of boils in the area fish tend to school.
hope this helps and tight lines everyone

Kevin
UGAROCKS2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-04, 11:18 AM   #5
uk03
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to uk03

Definitely fish the whole dam area, shallow and deep areas. Id concentrate on areas with a slower current for active fish. Also, if you can fish the dam outlet. Always had good luck tere...
uk03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.