Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 04-24-08, 03:33 PM   #1
Nonpoint
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to Nonpoint
Default Trailer maintenance

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a 1990 Bass Tracker Tournament TX17, with a 60HP Johnson. But I noticed the trailer seems kinda beat up, I had to rewire the lights and replace a roller. I havent really had a chance to take a good look at the pads the boat sits on(if the boats off the trailer, its in the water and I'm on it fishing, not looking at the trailer) and I want to make sure they dont need to be replaced. I'm sure I can just check it out next time I launch, but I was wondering if anyones come up with a safe way to lift the boat off of the trailer on land without the use of a crane...

Thanks.
Nonpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 03:37 PM   #2
boater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

It can be done but it is soooo much easier to carpets some boards and take them with you to the water launch the boat tie it up and switch the boards out then go fish it should not take over 10 min. to switch em. This is if there are bad.
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 04:37 PM   #3
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Did you buy a kit to re-wire your trailer, mine is going to need it this summer. Right now I can't get any of the marker lights to work...uggghh! Atleast I've got the tails/turn signals working. Also must have a brake leak somewhere 'cause my brake fluid is almos empty. Maintenance on boats/trailers = a part time job....BTW NONPOINT..absolutely sick band..whataday has gotta be one of my favs
Old 04-24-08, 05:08 PM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfish320 View Post
Did you buy a kit to re-wire your trailer, mine is going to need it this summer. Right now I can't get any of the marker lights to work...uggghh! Atleast I've got the tails/turn signals working. Also must have a brake leak somewhere 'cause my brake fluid is almos empty. Maintenance on boats/trailers = a part time job....BTW NONPOINT..absolutely sick band..whataday has gotta be one of my favs

should try digging thru the main wiring harness on the truck to find were the wire to the taillights is burnt in two.. it was under the dash btw..

zooker
Old 04-24-08, 05:52 PM   #5
Nonpoint
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to Nonpoint

Yeah I bought a kit of sealed lights from Walmart (lol?) It was only like 30 bucks and it actually worked out nicely. Except I was in a hurry and I couldnt get my fish tape through the damn tubes so I got pissed off and just zip tied the wires up and down the frame and bolted the lights on since it was only 30 bucks for the kit. I don't really care what my 1990 trailer looks like....its not exactly new with chrome rims.

Now if I had been thinking and had tied the new wires to the old wires before pulling them out I could have probably just ran the new wires inside that way. Hooray for working on the trailer with a sense of urgency and a six pack.
Nonpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 06:49 PM   #6
stevomac59
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I saw a guy replacing those pads by placing two car-jacks under the boat, however, he was using a fairly small boat... so IDK
Old 04-24-08, 08:36 PM   #7
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Jasonfish320, when doing your trailer wiring make sure ALL your ground wires are cleaned and bolted tight. I was having a problem my lights were anything and everything weird I tried everything and finally cleaned all the grounds and bolted them good and tight now they work great. Hopes this helps.
Old 04-25-08, 07:40 AM   #8
1FASTLASER

Bscklsdh your right on the money. Most ;ight problems are either a blown bulb or bad ground. On the trailer bunk replacement either a engine hoist or a small chain hoisy in a tree serves well or as boater said take it to the lake, launch it ,take off the old put on the new and go fishin. Just make sure to take a battery operated grinder or cutoff tool just incase you cant get off the retaining bolts and have to put in a new one.
Old 04-27-08, 12:46 PM   #9
Rebbasser

Had to replace the bunks on mine earlier this year. Measured the boards, attached the carpet with a staple gun and headed to the lake. Launched and tied up the boat and it took ma about an hour to fix the whole thing. MUCH easier than trying to lift the boat off the trailer.
Old 04-28-08, 02:45 PM   #10
MississippiBoy

Plus, you get to go fishin' when you're done.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 02:53 PM   #11
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonpoint View Post
Hi Guys,

I havent really had a chance to take a good look at the pads the boat sits on(if the boats off the trailer, its in the water and I'm on it fishing, not looking at the trailer)

Thanks.
You Guys don't float your boat and gaze at the trailer!?!

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 03:48 PM   #12
WTL

RIght now my trailer is being held together with duck tape and string. I'm not one to give advice in this thread. Its just so hard to work on, you got to take the boat off, which is easiest by launching the boat and working on it at the ramp, but as soon as I launch the boat somehow I'm on the lake going fishing and my tools and my constructive intentions are parked back at the ramp.
Old 04-28-08, 08:34 PM   #13
bamabassman

rofl at wtl. i hear ya bro. good day to work is a better day to fish. save the working on trailer till it is broke down huh? lol.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 09:41 PM   #14
Rebbasser

Sometimes you have no choice-watching a bunk board floating in the lake kind of makes it neccessary
Old 04-28-08, 10:45 PM   #15
WTL

Reb, that happened 2 weeks ago. Hence the duct tape.
Old 04-28-08, 10:50 PM   #16
bassdaddy
BassFishin.Com Member

Cool

aaawww,,duct tape,,a fishermans friend in a time of need.
bassdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.