Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Topics for Specific Waters or Regions

Old 10-02-12, 08:34 PM   #1
xfakturx
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Advice for this lake

Moved to this lake a few months ago, managed to get 1 smallmouth from it, decent size so i know they are here. Have been having a real hard time finding bites now that the weather is cooling off in michigan. Here is a picture from google earth, not sure how much help it will be but you can see the surface vegetation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lake.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	428.7 KB
ID:	8238  
xfakturx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-12, 08:50 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Frog frog frog where is sunset lake located what state?
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-12, 09:58 PM   #3
kennethdaysale

We've got members in your area that I'm sure can help you.
Notice how much smaller your lake has become since '99, back then and for years after all that shallow weed choked north end was wide open. Just for fun slide the timeline back to 08/05 and notice the peninsula (sand bar/weed bed??) that runs out towards the middle from the south shore. I'd find that on the graph and poke around there for a while..Click image for larger version

Name:	GoogleEarth_Image.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	8239
Old 10-02-12, 11:09 PM   #4
xfakturx
BassFishin.Com Member

Its here in michigan, just a small local lake. i didnt notice how much it has shrunk since 99.
Old 10-02-12, 11:14 PM   #5
xfakturx
BassFishin.Com Member

I should also mention this lake is very shallow, deepest point i have found so far is about 11-12 foot.
Old 10-02-12, 11:48 PM   #6
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Second Mule on the frog...drop shot the edges of the vegetation, flip jigs and weightless plastics along the edges, punch through the vegetation. Just my few pennies worth...
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 05:30 PM   #7
joedog

First WELCOME to the site Sean!

Next it maybe a little hard really getting a feel for a smaller lake this time of year on Mi. waters with the falling temps but the Michigan boys around here I'm sure will let you know more on that. I'm way down south but where I'm at....after the (one day fall fishing frenzy ) slower is usually better.
Now from the wording in your post I'm thinking your shore fishing. Maybe wrong but the following is from the shore perspective.

Now if it were me and I fish a fair amount of new BOW, I would start with a lip-less crank. Allows you to cover a lot of water fast and will find active fish. Especially if they are in a fall feed mood. Plus there are so many retrieve options (yo-yoing, jerk long pause, jerk no pause and so on) that you can fish vegetation if found. You can rip them out or through vegetation. Fast over the top of vegetation is always a good start point but that's more personal preference. Color, ask the locals.

Next I'd try a fluke type bait using like a 1/16 weighted screw lock hook. Allows you to fish the surface along with the whole water column based on your pause length. Again allows for multiple retrieve techniques so good for exploring. Now around here spring and fall usually the longer the pause the better. Water temps may slow them a touch even though they still want to feed cause the 'meals await-in'. Plus can rig weedless. Color ask the locals.

Now hard suspending jerk baits are good too but sounds like your fishing vegetation prone waters and the trebles can really be a pain in the backside.

I really can't tell you if top water frogs are good up in the North this time of year but waterboy just had a GREAT WEEKEND up in No. Minn. He loves top water but I think most were caught by other means. He'll be able to help you too.
But if top water is an option may want to try a popper along side the vegetation if possible. Again longer pause this time of year maybe better

Next I'd throw a 1/4 oz. jig. Options are endless with retrieve techniques but the smaller allow you to swim it better plus drag and or hop it or any combination on a single cast allowing easy experimentation along with techniques trial and error trying to figure which is best that day. Plus can 'pop' through vegation which is actually a pretty good technique in itself.

Then throw plastics. Worms, lizzards, creature baits you decide your favorite.

Have fun and get out there now cause ice fishing is coming your way fast!

Last edited by joedog; 10-03-12 at 05:37 PM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 10:46 PM   #8
lilmule

I could be wrong but this is sunset lake in Mich.,Iron county

According to this there is deeper water one end,doesnt quite match the sat view but also noted it had shrunk.Wouldnt think northerly location would hurt the frog bite as long as there is greenery ive caught them with water temp in the fifties,top water frog.
Maybe more than one sunset lake dunno.Also a lot of water sampling going on there.

Last edited by lilmule; 10-03-12 at 10:54 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-12, 03:27 PM   #9
MIbasser

What county is the lake located at in MI?
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-12, 10:06 PM   #10
kennethdaysale

42.07' 58.85 n
85.33' 13.13 w
Old 10-07-12, 09:48 PM   #11
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm a little south of you but it's still cold here too. Has been a while now. Spinnerbaits and shallow crankbaits have been the ticket here, fished around cover in 5-8 foot of water.
Old 10-08-12, 12:55 PM   #12
MIbasser

I found the lake, but no information on it. It looks more like a big pond. The satellite view didn't show many docks on it. Does it have a public launch or are you fishing from shore?
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.