Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-06-10, 09:13 PM   #1
Mikekw3
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to Mikekw3
Default Heavy vs. Med-Heavy?

Will a heavy action rod cast further than a medium action if they are the same length?
Mikekw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 10:09 PM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It depends on what you're throwing. A lighter bait (like a 1/4 oz spinnerbait, for example) will not load up the heavy action rod as much as the medium heavy..."loading up" meaning the rod bending back as you bring it forward, and sling-shotting the lure forward when you release. But if you're casting something heavy, like a big swimbait, heavy jig, carolina rig, etc., then the heavy might do better.
Old 09-06-10, 10:16 PM   #3
Mikekw3
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
It depends on what you're throwing. A lighter bait (like a 1/4 oz spinnerbait, for example) will not load up the heavy action rod as much as the medium heavy..."loading up" meaning the rod bending back as you bring it forward, and sling-shotting the lure forward when you release. But if you're casting something heavy, like a big swimbait, heavy jig, carolina rig, etc., then the heavy might do better.
Ok well i plan to get a rod for frog fishing and i keep hearing i should have a really long and heavy rod in order to pull fish through the weeds, but where i am there arent any really thick weeds that we pull bass out of so should do u think i should go with the heavy or med-heavy?
Old 09-06-10, 10:23 PM   #4
MississippiBoy

Probably medium heavy, 7" length. That's a little more all-purpose setup than a heavy. If you're not planning on having to pull up 10 pounds of weeds with your fish, the MH will do just fine.
Old 09-06-10, 10:25 PM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

If I were you, I would choose a 7 foot MH extra fast action rod. In your area, that will handle about any bass you'll come across, and the rod could also be used for pitchin jigs and t rigged soft plastics in the same areas you would throw a frog, if the frog bite is not working.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 10:51 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Let's not forget, rods do not come in heavy or medium-heavy ACTIONS. Those are powers.

Other than that, everything has pretty much been covered. With small to moderate sized lures, the MH will cast further. With big baits that overpower the MH, the H would be a better choice.

What lures will you be using. Because sometimes, regardless of casting distance, a H rod will work better than a MH and vice-versa.

BB
Old 09-06-10, 10:55 PM   #7
Mikekw3
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Let's not forget, rods do not come in heavy or medium-heavy ACTIONS. Those are powers.

Other than that, everything has pretty much been covered. With small to moderate sized lures, the MH will cast further. With big baits that overpower the MH, the H would be a better choice.

What lures will you be using. Because sometimes, regardless of casting distance, a H rod will work better than a MH and vice-versa.

BB
I will be casting soft plastic frogs like horny toads and rage tails
Old 09-06-10, 11:19 PM   #8
bassinbob

I use 7ft med/hev and have no problems casting toads. Spool up with some 50 or 65lb braid and you'll cast them a mile.
Old 09-06-10, 11:25 PM   #9
Mikekw3
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
I use 7ft med/hev and have no problems casting toads. Spool up with some 50 or 65lb braid and you'll cast them a mile.
does the braid cast further than mono?
Old 09-06-10, 11:26 PM   #10
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
Agreed, up until recently my toad rod was a very stout 7' MH, casted like a bullet.
Old 09-07-10, 06:20 AM   #11
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikekw3 View Post
does the braid cast further than mono?
I probably don't get the distance like mono. But you get the solid hooksets when you are reaching out there for something. And if you are looking for distance, I would go with braid because the frog bite tend to be a reaction strike. Plus if the fish buries down in the junk, braid will cut through it like a hot knife in butter. Just try wrapping it around your hand, give it a tug, and tell me what happens next. Just playing with that, you will bleed. Plus braid is more bouyant than mono helping the frog stay on top. That requires less effort and speed for the slow days. That my opinion on it.
Old 09-07-10, 06:24 AM   #12
tim4081
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use a heavy rod for frogs but I also fish in areas with a ton of slop and heavy vegetation. I would recomend braid....it cast as well if not better than mono and has zero stretch for solid hook sets.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-10, 09:07 AM   #13
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I used a Loomis 844C this weekend for frogs (7' H F) and it casted them fine for me. A MH will cast then further, but may not be heavy enough for setting the hook and getting the fish out of the pads/slop. Although I don't fish frogs much so others probably know what works better than I do.

BB
Old 09-09-10, 03:52 PM   #14
dave0943
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use 7' MH rods for frogs. I love the Horny Toads and have had great success with them and a few other brands. I use 30 lb power pro line with the MH. I was using 50 lb and switched to 30 because it is a more versatile. Most of my casting rods are either M or MH.6.5 or 7'. I've only got one H and don't use it often. My MH works frogs and jigs through the wood and slop just fine.
Dave
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-10, 04:12 PM   #15
bassinbob

Mike, I only use braid for frogs as I usually am fishing them over some type of cover. In my opinion and from first hand experience, yes braid casts further. I never worry about overuns with braid as I do with mono. How far do you need to cast in your situation?
Old 09-09-10, 04:56 PM   #16
bamabassman

i use 50# suffix and 30# power pro braided line. have it on a HEAVY action lighting rod. and cast a frog over 50 yards if i want to. braided line will cast just as far as mono in my opion. jsut a matter of how good YOU are with a bait caster.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.